Are Rolexes really worth the money?

Ladies!!! I just got my very first rolex this weekend and I am in love. It's so simple and elegant looking, not flashy or gaudy. It's s/s with a white face and roman numerals. I will post pictures tomorrow. I am about to hop in the shower and get ready to go out so the pics will have to wait. However, one thing I love about this watch is I can wear it in the shower and not worry. Completely waterproof!! :biggrin:

caannie said:
It's sad but true that mechanical watches actually don't keep time as well as cheaper Timex, etc... watches. The standard is usually about +/- 8 seconds per day (I think that is Rolex's minimum standard). I recently had mine serviced by an authorized Rolex service center, though, and they have it adjusted where I believe I am within +/- 2 seconds a day, which is really outstanding.

I have read about placing it in a certain position at night to adjust its speed. I always place mine face down in my jewelry box, but I have read somewhere that one position speeds it up and another will slow it.

Here's one of my watches, which I consider my "every day" Rolex. (I can't get a good pic of the other):

salmondatesmall.jpg

I LOVE your Rolex!!:heart: :heart:

To answer questions: It's stainless steel (therefore less expensive than a steel/gold two tone style) and it is a Ladies stainless Date (in the stainless it is called "date" rather than "datejust," it may be a mm or two smaller in diameter than a datejust, I will have to check) with Salmon Arabic dial. The two tone is a gorgeous watch as well (I have one) but the stainless doesn't experience the stretch problems that the two tone and solid gold bands do. ;)

Carol, that is so true. While I do not have a Rolex yet, my Tag has the sapphire crystal and still looks perfect after 8 years. I have had other expensive brands that get scratches and it is so dissapointing.

caannie said:
The feature I love most about Rolex is the sapphire crystal. I can't tell you how many watches I have owned where the crystal looks scratched and ruined in 3 years of wearing it. I have run my Rolex into enough doorframes while trying to juggle shopping bags to know it take a LOT to scratch their crystals. After 5 or 6 years of daily wearing, neither of mine has a scratch! ;)

I sort of killed my first one--overwound it and destroyed the movement. Oops! I've been much nicer to my 2nd one, though I tend to switch off between that one and my Cartier, which is a quartz movement. But my Rolex does keep excellent time, now that I've learned how to deal with it. It took me a little time because I was always used to watches with batteries! I'm determined not to kill the current Rolex! Good luck with yours!!!