Anyone familiar with Marla Aaron's jewelry?

Two things about Marla .. and these are my opinions:
  1. Her stuff is outrageously expensive for what it is; it's 14k gold .. not 18k and forget it when the piece has any gemstones!
  2. She is extremely litigious and has threatened many other Jewelers (I know this as she did this to me)
Bottom line, she claims that the designs are her 'creation'; they are NOT! Carabiners have been around forever; just ask any Rock Climber about them. As such, they have been copied in Gold and Silver YEARS ago (I remember a local Metalsmith in Connecticut who used to do them as he was an avid Rock Climber as well).

There are many other folks who do these locks in higher karat golds and including Diamonds at a lot less price than Marla's pieces! Same with the chains ..

A lot of her pieces are pricey (I was flabbergasted when I saw that her new letter locks are all 4-figures, including the silver ones) but well-made. I cannot say the same about the mass produced, foreign knockoffs that look like flimsier versions of hers, but she knows that she isn't the first to make jewelry of this kind. I've been following her on Instagram for years and she seems like a cool woman; very personable and down to earth, so I am disappointed to hear that she threatens other artists. What did she/her team say to you?

I just ordered an 18k lock from an Etsy seller. Threatening to sue other designers means I’ll never order from her. I wonder if she knows how many customers she loses by doing that? We were wearing carabiner bracelets in high school 30 years ago! Saying this is an original thing others can’t copy would be like saying that about the paper clip or safety pin (both also often DIYd into accessories). :sad: I don’t wear 14k, so likely wouldn’t have ordered from her, but what a bummer to hear.

• Love
Reactions: foxmomlovesbbag
This is so true! I’ve been wearing this (and other keyring conversions) for years View attachment 4647615
LOVE this!!! Exactly, and that's why it pisses me off to no end that she is so darn litigious! She has threatened me and other Jewelers/Metalsmiths, and we've been around for some years. I finally told her to "bring it on" and sue me because I know darn well she won't win!

Frankly, I was shocked when I saw some of her pieces "in person"; they are not heavy at all and the prices are RIDICULOUS! I do mine in 18k, oftentimes loaded in Diamonds .. and I don't charge the prices she does!!!

The prices have just gone up... a lot. I knew the price of gold was going up, so I‘m glad I was able to snag a couple things on Etsy before it did. But Marla even changed the price on her least expensive lock, the sterling baby lock, from $80 to $100. :shocked:

Reactions: limom
The prices have just gone up... a lot. I knew the price of gold was going up, so I‘m glad I was able to snag a couple things on Etsy before it did. But Marla even changed the price on her least expensive lock, the sterling baby lock, from $80 to $100. :shocked:
I just noticed that as well. I had been looking at a yellow gold baby lock and the price jumped. I managed to get one on The RealReal.

Reactions: ouiouilexiaussi
I just ordered an 18k lock from an Etsy seller. Threatening to sue other designers means I’ll never order from her. I wonder if she knows how many customers she loses by doing that? We were wearing carabiner bracelets in high school 30 years ago! Saying this is an original thing others can’t copy would be like saying that about the paper clip or safety pin (both also often DIYd into accessories). :sad: I don’t wear 14k, so likely wouldn’t have ordered from her, but what a bummer to hear.
Could you share the seller you ordered from?

Reactions: picky picky