Anyone else sick of seeing fake jewelry...

I have had allergic reactions to some silver, vermeil and plated base metals. Definitely can't wear it in piercings.

I can wear gold 14/18/etc., stainless steel and titanium forever w/ no reactions.

I also like that you can throw them in the ultrasonic cleaner and not worry.:idea:

Are you allergic to fine silver? I'm guessing you aren't if you can wear 14k and stainless steal. Fine silver is 99.9% pure silver and no other metals (like nickel or copper that can be found in Sterling).

And if you open a boutique...I hope you'll want to carry some of my jewelry! LOL

This whole conversation is very interesting. I am using precious gemstones in my work more and more. I like using 14k gold fill or vermeil. It is actually more secure than 14k gold when it comes to wire and findings. I just made a sapphire bracelet and used 14k gold fill wire and the clasp is vermeil. Does that mean that I've decreased it's value? I don't think so...it's still gorgeous! And instead of $1500 it's only $650.

The gemstones are real...the gold used in the gold fill process is real. Is it still considered a "fake" piece of jewelry???

I break out too, even some 14kt does that to me.

All my jewelry is 18kt and up.

wow... some info...(the last line is funny LOL)
http://www.18carat.co.uk/allergiestojewellery.html

Allergies to Metals in Jewellery
Allergy to Nickel etc.

Q: Why am I allergic to some gold jewellery?

Every year we get a few customers who believe that they cannot wear gold jewellery because they get an allergic reaction to it. Some believe that they are allergic to gold. We have never yet known anybody who was allergic to pure gold.
The most common cause of allergic reactions to jewellery is nickel contained in the alloy. Nickel is, or was, frequently used in white gold alloys because it is inexpensive, hard, and has a strong whitening effect. Better quality white gold alloys use palladium, which has excellent properties but is more expensive.
An EC directive is due to come into force soon which will ban the use of nickel in jewellery, or restrict its use to very low proportions.
The next commonest cause of allergies for jewellery wearers appears to be detergent or other chemicals which lodge between the jewellery, usually rings, and the skin. Hairdressers are often affected. Rinsing well can help, but it is probably best to remove rings before using any troublesome chemicals, and use a barrier cream.
A few jewellery wearers still seem to be slightly allergic to yellow golds, nickel cannot be the cause because it is not used in yellow gold alloys. In most cases sufferers only experience problems with low gold content alloys such as nine carat, so upgrading to a better alloy such as eighteen carat usually solves all problems.
The other common components of nine carat gold alloys are copper, silver and zinc. Zinc is usually very well tolerated, it is used in many medical preparations. Silver and copper do not usually cause allergic reactions, but both will form compounds with atmospheric pollutants which may be the cause of some reported problems. When copper and silver are present in high carat alloy such as eighteen or twenty two carat, they are more resistant to attack by chemicals, because they are bound more closely with the gold content, and this will explain why high carat alloys cause fewer problems.
Strange as it may seem, but using anti-perspirants can exacerbate metal allergy problems. It has been found that the sweat of a healthy person in a sauna can contain 20 times the nickel content of blood plasma, this may help to explain why exercise can improve health. Anti-perspirants can reduce the bodies natural way of eliminating heavy metals. Healthy natural lifestyles tend to improve health, whereas unnatural practices can cause problems.
Of course some men think they are allergic to jewellery, mostly they are just allergic to buying it for their wife because they would rather put the money towards a new BMW, Jag, Ferrari, or such other toy.

I no. It's very hard because I have bought stuff from Ebay too, and especially with Ebay I tend to think like, "If I don't buy this now, it'll be gone." I'm trying to control myself though. And Laboheme, I have to be careful with what my skin's experienced to, (meaning sunlight, certain metals, ect.) because I have a skin problem (I have to see a determatologist, but I have to use products all throughout my life, it never completely disappears.) thats like a blotchy red rash that just spreads everywhere so a lot of skin products and some metal will make my skin very, very, itchy and it's not a good idea to use products other than the ones recommended by my doctor.

That sounds a lot like my skin! I even had to take an extremely dangerous drug (that they later found out caused depression and suicide in teens) to get rid of acne when I was a teenager.

I had serious spending issues in my early 20s. It's something that you should get a handle on NOW before it really destroys your life. If you ruin your credit now it will haunt you for yeras and years to come. It's hard, I know! :smile: But others have been there and overcome their habits. You can too! :yes:

Ha! That is funny laboheme!!!

I try to educate people when they say they are allergic to gold or sterling silver...I don't think many people are *actually* allergic to gold or silver...it's the other alloys. Too bad gold is too soft to use purely in jewelry. *sigh* :smile:

Ya, the rash/skin problem isn't on my face though. It's very weird, it's almost unknown. (One of my relatives has it though, but it's not supposed to be contagious.) Like people who see me tell me I have really great skin, but like my stomach and up and all over my back is and shoulders is covered with the ugly digusting rashish blotch. A lot of people can't tell though unless I wear a V neck, because it's not on my arms or face or legs.

nah. . .
although the title you put under your user name here and your siggy doesn't suprise me that you feel that way.

Not everyone has the $ to buy expensive jewelry, doesn't mean they shouldn't get to wear it anyhow.
I honestly don't notice if someone's jewelry is fine or not.
Life's too short to care about minute details like that for me.

I :heart: you Swanky. Your perspective is on point!

Are you allergic to fine silver? I'm guessing you aren't if you can wear 14k and stainless steal. Fine silver is 99.9% pure silver and no other metals (like nickel or copper that can be found in Sterling).

And if you open a boutique...I hope you'll want to carry some of my jewelry! LOL

This whole conversation is very interesting. I am using precious gemstones in my work more and more. I like using 14k gold fill or vermeil. It is actually more secure than 14k gold when it comes to wire and findings. I just made a sapphire bracelet and used 14k gold fill wire and the clasp is vermeil. Does that mean that I've decreased it's value? I don't think so...it's still gorgeous! And instead of $1500 it's only $650.

The gemstones are real...the gold used in the gold fill process is real. Is it still considered a "fake" piece of jewelry???

So, there's fine and sterling silver. That could explain why I was allergic to some pieces and not others. :idea: I also have a thin copper,silver, and brass(?) twist bracelet I got in Morocco that doesn't bother me unless it gets wet.

I also didn't know that gold fill was stronger than gold for holding stones. wow!
4.gif

...it's all about the design of a piece to me.....

Me, too. I actually prefer faux to non-faux, if I were rich, I would hire Bling Artists to create faux pieces for me according to my own design!

For now, with bling as with anything else, if it's something I like, and I can find it for $3, I get as big a kick out of the bargain as I do out of the bling itself!

Personally, I think that vintage rhinestones are just as pretty as any other similar stone, faux or otherwise.

In fact, I only wear my smaller-stoned rhinestone pieces to family gatherings, because they are indistinguishable from diamonds unless you are a jeweler with a loupe, and diamonds are not a product I would want to be thought of as using.

Now the pieces with larger stones, I do wear outside the family, because obviously, if those were "real," I would be accompanied by a team of armed guards! :smile:

It was like a sin to wear anything less than 14k. gold, no matter how beautiful the jewelry. It was how i was brought up.

Where I was born it was a sin to wear less than 22k gold, and I wore only 22k or 24k...14k gold was 'that cheap whitish looking stuff' and 18k was only a little better. When I was a teenager I used to think those things were important. If I were to judge by the standard of my home country, EVERYONE in the continental US wears jewellery where the gold is of lower quality!

Now I'm older and (I hope) a little wiser and I most certainly do not care what kind of jewellery anyone wears, or whether it is fake or not. There are a lot better things to look for in people than the quality of their jewellery.

Where I was born it was a sin to wear less than 22k gold, and I wore only 22k or 24k...14k gold was 'that cheap whitish looking stuff' and 18k was only a little better. When I was a teenager I used to think those things were important. If I were to judge by the standard of my home country, EVERYONE in the continental US wears jewellery where the gold is of lower quality!

Now I'm older and (I hope) a little wiser and I most certainly do not care what kind of jewellery anyone wears, or whether it is fake or not. There are a lot better things to look for in people than the quality of their jewellery.

I bought a lot of my jewelry from other countries and they are all 22kt and up. I never saw anything less. I think the jewelry is very pretty.

I have people look at my jewelry often and say how pretty it is or they want to know what type of stone it is, etc. I've never had anyone ask if it is real, but that might be because of where I live at.

I think as long as you are happy with your pieces, that is all that matters.

...only 22k or 24k...14k gold was 'that cheap whitish looking stuff' and 18k was only a little better.....

:lol: I know this song, and it comes from the olden days when people, even of "comfortable" means did not necessarily have bank accounts, or stocks and bonds, thus all the family assets tended to be strung, hung, and dangled from the women!

It is also reflective of circumstances that might cause currencies to be less useful, in times of national "challenges," and gold was a universal "liquid' asset that could, one way or another, even save lives of family members in a pinch, and the only thing that could be counted on to do so!

So the jewelry was not for adornment only, and not even so everyone could see how prosperous one was, it was the nest egg, the rainy day fund, the emergency money - it was the "savings!"

So, there's fine and sterling silver. That could explain why I was allergic to some pieces and not others. :idea: I also have a thin copper,silver, and brass(?) twist bracelet I got in Morocco that doesn't bother me unless it gets wet.

I also didn't know that gold fill was stronger than gold for holding stones. wow!
4.gif

Oh my gosh that smilie is AWESOME!!! lol

Yup...gold fill is going to be stronger. Gold is super soft so using gold wire, for example, is going to be much softer than using gold fill. Gold fill has a core that is a different metal. The different metal is going to be much stronger than gold but you still get real gold on top. :smile: Here is a more in depth article if you're interested.

And Fine silver is my absolute favorite! :smile: Also, silver made in other countries can be different quality as well. I wrote a brief article on my blog about it. So, you may think you're allergic to sterling silver when it's not actually sterling (or the other metal used is something different than what you are used to).

Real gold & gems can be very expensive. Synthetics are an affordable option. I cant speak for anyone else but I cant just drop ton of money on every piece of jewelry I buy, I have bills to pay. I do agree that a lot of faux jewelry is waaaay over priced.

:lol: I know this song, and it comes from the olden days when people, even of "comfortable" means did not necessarily have bank accounts, or stocks and bonds, thus all the family assets tended to be strung, hung, and dangled from the women!

It is also reflective of circumstances that might cause currencies to be less useful, in times of national "challenges," and gold was a universal "liquid' asset that could, one way or another, even save lives of family members in a pinch, and the only thing that could be counted on to do so!

So the jewelry was not for adornment only, and not even so everyone could see how prosperous one was, it was the nest egg, the rainy day fund, the emergency money - it was the "savings!"

This was very true for Jews living in the "old country" who were constantly made to move from their
"shtetl" (small village) very quickly.
Diamonds/gold/other gemstones
could easily be taken with them and
used/traded for what they needed.

I like some older peices of jewelry too....i dont no why, i just do. I also like vintage jewelry. I like to have a big variety to choose from...(it's getting bigger the more I go on purseblog) like now I have some vintage jewelry, some classic jewelry, I like to have varieties.