Anyone else sick of seeing fake jewelry...

my best friend just got engaged and her ring is 18k white gold with 5 real diamonds on each side and the center stone is a CZ and its beautiful and personally it looks just like other diamonds i have seen.....

to me diamonds arnt an investment....they will never go up in value once you have purchased them, they will hold their value unless the diamond market came down.....i have real diamond earrings and i have CZ earrings for wearing whever and personally theres no difference....the only difference is i wont feel bad if i lose the CZ's.

the owner of my work is very very well off....she could afford any size diamond she wants but she wont spend the money on them because she also thinks they are a poor investment compaired to other stones.

but like with everything...everyone has different likes and dislikes and thats whats makes us who we are!!!

I agree with Swanky. I actually like both. I also own both and wear both:yes:.
I own a good deal of real pieces that were nearly all gifts from my husband or gifts to myself. However, I sometimes do not want to wear my expensive jewelry--particularly when I am going out of town on business or even personal travel---particularly vacations w/hotel stays. I don't like wearing or worrying about my good pieces. If there is a piece I really and truly love I will try to find the 'replica' of it so that I can wear it without worry. I even own two 'dummy' wedding sets.

I've received more compliments on my 'fake' jewelry than my real pieces a lot of times....LOL. People can not tell the difference at all. The key is to not be too gaudy with the pieces (too big, too ridiculous...). People don't notice. I surely don't notice if someone is wearing real jewelry or not. If I like it..I'm more likely assuming that it's real and I know good quality when I see it. It really doesn't matter.....

Ya, I'm just very self conscious. Like, if I spent 700 dollars on fake diamonds or gold, I'd be really conscious....it'd feel to me like I was carrying a knockoff. I mean, no one else around me would notice, but I'd always wonder if they could tell whether it was fake or not, no matter how silly that is anyway. I mean if a ring is really pretty, and its CZ, I might buy it, but if its like 700 dollars I'd prob. rather one with real gold with a smaller diamond. I just get so frustrated, cuz sometimes I want to buy real gold and @ NM and Saksfifthavenue I find a lotta cubic zaronica. Its nice, but I perfer real stuff before it a lot.

Hi, I can see two different points that you seem to be making.

One is that cz jewellery can be very expensive & one can be excused for wondering who would pay soooo much for something that is not `real`.ie serious money, not play money. The answer is that some pieces use real gold and have the same labour expenses to make the piece as the real item does. So in this case you are paying for a well finished and designed setting, perhaps at the same standard as if it did have a diamond.

The second point is more straight forward....who would choose a fake diamond over a real one??? Well, probably no body if they were given a choice. But reality tends to have the last say for most, and the reality is that we cant all afford the real thing.

I think its great that one can experience the feeling of diamonds no matter what your budget, whether it is a cheap cz or an expensively set one.

I have both real & fake, and since my dh is a jeweller, I can wear a $5 cz ring and have people almost gag....(I always tell them its fake because I want people to know that alot of our impressions are in our minds not reality!!!).

I have both now. I use to be a hardcore diamond/real gem snob but I'm getting over myself. :P I guess my residual hangup is that for me it's fine to have a few CZ/simulants to play around with but I don't usually wear it out unless I'm just visiting close friends/family. I wear my real items in public, esp for banking business, shopping etc...

Also, I don't get too deep into sims because I don't want to give my husband the idea that I don't require real diamonds anymore. LOL! awful but true.

On the plus side, sims can help to figure out exactly what type of jewelry, stone shapes and cuts you like best, what's most flattering etc without getting locked into a $$$,$$$/$,$$$$$$ item and later regretting it. :sad: Resale/trade-in on diamonds is a joke so I recommend trying on lots of fakes to be 100 percent sure when you select the real thing.

I have both now. I use to be a hardcore diamond/real gem snob but I'm getting over myself. :P

Also, I don't get too deep into sims because I don't want to give my husband the idea that I don't require real diamonds anymore. LOL! awful but true.

On the plus side, sims can help to figure out exactly what type of jewelry, stone shapes and cuts you like best, what's most flattering etc without getting locked into a $$$,$$$/$,$$$$$$ item and later regretting it. :sad: .

Excellent points...especially about the husband thing!!!! Im afraid thats one door Ive already opened and its hard to lock now!!!!

Another thing that I have experienced is that for me the `shrinkage factor` has already set in (Im 39) & most real diamonds that I would desire are too far out of my budget. Its like if I can afford it, it will probably not excite me anyway!!!

So sometimes a sim. just hits the spot without all the guilt of spending too much. And you are right, its hard to choose a shape when you are spending on a significant stone. I keep changing my mind every day!!

i like real, i like fake. it's all about the design of a piece to me. fake is great for fun pieces and to play around with, real is great for certain occasions and when you want something really special.
who cares what other people wear or if they start making 'real' jewelry with fake diamonds. another reason for that is that more and more people are boycotting diamonds because they don't want to buy jewelry that has been used to fund conflicts in africa and other parts of the world. also, as pretty as diamonds are, they are overpriced and not as rare as we are led to believe. so really if you think about it, you're getting ripped off when you buy into the whole diamonds are the ultimate stone message the diamond companies have been throwing at us for ages...
bottom line is: stop wasting your time worrying about what other people do or don't do with their money.

I do like some trendy jewelry and if it is going to be out next year than I don't mind fake. Even my two pairs of Chanel earrings are really genuine Chanel, but they don't have any real stones.

I agree with Swanky. I actually like both. I also own both and wear both:yes:.
I own a good deal of real pieces that were nearly all gifts from my husband or gifts to myself. However, I sometimes do not want to wear my expensive jewelry--particularly when I am going out of town on business or even personal travel---particularly vacations w/hotel stays. I don't like wearing or worrying about my good pieces. If there is a piece I really and truly love I will try to find the 'replica' of it so that I can wear it without worry. I even own two 'dummy' wedding sets.

I've received more compliments on my 'fake' jewelry than my real pieces a lot of times....LOL. People can not tell the difference at all. The key is to not be too gaudy with the pieces (too big, too ridiculous...). People don't notice. I surely don't notice if someone is wearing real jewelry or not. If I like it..I'm more likely assuming that it's real and I know good quality when I see it. It really doesn't matter.....

I completely agree. My 'daily' earrings are 1.5 carat CZ studs. They look completely real. However, if someone asks, I always 'fess us that they are CZs...I could never tell people that they were real!

Besides my engagement ring, most of my jewelry pieces are under $500.

For my 16th birthday, my grandma gave me her 4 carat diamond pendant necklace that my grandpa had custom made for her in France.

It somehow ended up being vacummed up...I have never forgetten that sick, horrified feeling...and I don't think my grandma has forgetten either:crybaby: :shrugs: :sad:

I love CZs! Because I can find amazingly gorgeous gemstones that are CZs and perfect for a good price versus getting a really crappy quality "real" stone.

I don't know what you mean by "fake" gold. Do you mean 14k gold fill? Or do you mean gold plated? Or just gold colored? There are many different definitions out there. 14k gold fill IS actual gold, but the core is not. Gold plate uses real gold as well, but it's a much thinner layer.

Even 14k gold isn't "pure"...it's only 52. something percent gold.

Then there is Vermeil (pronounced ver-may) which is sterling silver core coated in 18k-24k gold. I like to use this and it's great for people with allergies.

So, I guess it just depends on your definition of "fake". To me, "Fake" is a piece of jewelry that claims to be Chanel or Gucci or whatever when it's a knock off. Fake jewelry isn't something that says it is made with CZ. Now, if someone were trying to pass off CZ AS a diamond then yes, that would be fake.

I have some expensive pieces that I have made - in fact I just made a gorgeous (if I do say so myself) sapphire bracelet that is $650...and I did not use 14k gold metals. I used 14k gold fill wire, chain, and clasp. Using 14k gold is SO expensive it would make my already expensive bracelet even more expensive. And 14k gold fill will last just as long as 14k gold (so long as it is taken care of).

nah. . .
although the title you put under your user name here and your siggy doesn't suprise me that you feel that way.

Not everyone has the $ to buy expensive jewelry, doesn't mean they shouldn't get to wear it anyhow.
I honestly don't notice if someone's jewelry is fine or not.
Life's too short to care about minute details like that for me.
ITA!!! I have plenty of money, but I also don't want to always worry about losing my nice diamond studs. I have some nice white gold with cz's that were like $150, dont' care if I lose one running around every day. It's not fake jewelry, fake jewelry would be something that said tiffany's on it and came in the little blue box and bag. CZ's are a manmade stone. It's not fake

I don't think this is what you meant, but your post makes you sound like a big snob.

my best friend just got engaged and her ring is 18k white gold with 5 real diamonds on each side and the center stone is a CZ and its beautiful and personally it looks just like other diamonds i have seen.....

to me diamonds arnt an investment....they will never go up in value once you have purchased them, they will hold their value unless the diamond market came down.....i have real diamond earrings and i have CZ earrings for wearing whever and personally theres no difference....the only difference is i wont feel bad if i lose the CZ's.

the owner of my work is very very well off....she could afford any size diamond she wants but she wont spend the money on them because she also thinks they are a poor investment compaired to other stones.

but like with everything...everyone has different likes and dislikes and thats whats makes us who we are!!!
diamonds can go up in value. mine has appreciated several thousand dollars bc it was one of the last diamonds that henry grossbard, the inventor of the radiant cut diamond, but before he died

so, that's not true that diamonds can't appreciate without the entire diamond market appreciating

For my 16th birthday, my grandma gave me her 4 carat diamond pendant necklace that my grandpa had custom made for her in France.

It somehow ended up being vacummed up...I have never forgetten that sick, horrified feeling...and I don't think my grandma has forgetten either:crybaby: :shrugs: :sad:

Well, even I am feeling sick over that one!!!!

And I can sadly relate as in my life (so far) I have lost a real diamond tennis bracelet, a real diamond and ruby bracelet, and countless other bits and pieces.:crybaby:

And, just yesterday, my new diamond tennis bracelot just snapped off and broke. Lucky for me that I felt it and it was in my bed room!!!