Alicia Vikander

Vikander had an absolutely blockbuster 2015, winning an Oscar for her supporting role in The Danish Girl, turning heads as an AI in Ex Machina, and appearing in the rather good The Man from UNCLE. This year, she’s going to be in the new Jason Bourne film, and will star opposite Assassin’s Creed’s Michael Fassbender in The Light Between Oceans.

A few weeks ago, it was rumored that The Force Awakens’ Daisy Ridley was in negotiations to star as Lara Croft, and perhaps that was potentially in the cards, but the role ultimately went to Vikander. Either actress would have been a big get, but Vikander may be the bigger fish at this point, with her Oscar win and current ultra-“it” status.

Predictably, though most view Vikander’s casting as good news, a few gamers have pushed back saying that the actress isn’t busty or muscular enough to play Lara Croft. This is stupid because A) no character should be defined by her bust size, even though Croft has been for years (unfortunately) and B) Again, the “Lara Croft exploding out of a tank top” version of the character is no longer the one we’re dealing with here. It’s a younger version of the character that is usually wearing a parka for much of the last few games, and so if an actresses is young, talented, brunette and can manage a convincing English accent, that’s the priority. And the film could probably not have picked a better actress for this part than Vikander. At this point, the question is whether or not the film can live up the actress’s talent, not whether she can live up to the role of Lara Croft.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...der-movie-is-on-the-right-track/#70c89488126f

Well, if you like watching kettles boil and paint dry, then of course she'd be one of the most sexy, shapely, dynamic, powerful, sharp, intelligent and opinionated women you've ever seen.

You are hilarious and ... truthful. I am actually glad she has fans! Relieved and shocked at the same time people are sticking up for her, sometimes I wonder, do they see what I see. Is beauty that skewed? Anyway to be beautiful is one thing, but to have charisma and be interesting would otherwise help, I don't see it either.

Of course people are free to dislike anyone they like but the amount of energy invested into writing offensively about this one actress by a select few is nearly always motivated by her being Michael's girlfriend. Some of the people who have posted here today, writing negatively about her, have posted here before and made it clear they are not happy about this coupling. So I think it's reasonable to draw the conclusion that their recent posts, whether they mentioned Michael or not, are similarly motivated.

I agree, there's tons of artists that I dislike for various reasons and I block them from my social media accounts, I don't go out on a crusade to investigate their life's, obsess over what they are doing, write awful things about them all over the place and harass other fans. But that's what happens every time a famous someone starts a relationship, some fans simply cannot handle it and it's a know fact in every single fandom. Anyone who's going trough that needs to take a break from fandom and find out why this bothers them so much, a famous person personal life is ultimately absolutely none of our business and any extreme reaction to it shows a problem with yourself and not on the other person.

This, thank you Allie. There's many things wrong with the original films (and games) I hope they see this and make the necessary changes. For example, there's nothing one single woman acting alongside Angelina in the original movie? That's all kinds of wrong. I truly hope they cast more actresses to work with Alicia in this because even tho I did like the original movies when I was growing up I'm old enough now to see that while it was breakthrough there were still many things wrong with it.

I haven't played he new version of the game yet but it sounds like it's a sort of origins story and that's very interesting, we don't see that onthe original movies and I think it's a good way to start a reboot.

Great article Allie - thanks for posting [emoji3]

Overwhelming opinion both from those in the industry and its commentators is that Alicia is both talented and an exciting addition to films.

I came across this article too that speaks highly of her:

"While it looked set that Star Wars fan-favorite Daisy Ridley would clinch the title part, it’s been revealed that Alicia Vikander has landed the role in Warner Bros.’ Tomb Raider reboot.
Vikander, the seemingly omnipresent Swede who continues to snap up enviable roles left, right, and center, is now primed to pick up the dual pistols and iconic tank top as*Lara Croft, the beloved*archaeologist that remains a bona fide mascot in the video game industry two decades after her debut.

That in large part comes down to Crystal Dynamics’ overhauled series – one that Warner Bros. will reportedly be taking cues from going into the live-action feature. Placing*Norwegian filmmaker Roar Uthaug (The Wave) behind the lens, we suspect that Vikander has been tapped to spearhead an origins story about the young, rookie explorer – much like the narrative that underpinned Crystal’s acclaimed 2013 reboot, mind you – though story details are practically non-existent at such an early stage.
MGM and Warner Bros are co-producing the long-gestating Tomb Raider movie, and though Ridley appeared as an early frontrunner for the role of Miss. Croft, it seems*her continued commitment to the Star Wars universe has taken priority. As for Alicia Vikander, the actress’ meteoric rise only continues to astound, with 2016 serving up period drama Tulip Fever, a key role opposite Matt Damon in Universal’s Jason Bourne and*The Light Between Oceans, where she stars alongside real-life partner Michael Fassbender who, incidentally, headlines his own video game adaptation later this year with Justin Kurzel’s Assassin’s Creed.
Roar Uthaug’s Tomb Raider movie has been tentatively placed for a release on October 6, 2017."

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/alicia-vikander-cast-as-lara-croft-in-tomb-raider-reboot/

I agree, there's tons of artists that I dislike for various reasons and I block them from my social media accounts, I don't go out on a crusade to investigate their life's, obsess over what they are doing, write awful things about them all over the place and harass other fans. But that's what happens every time a famous someone starts a relationship, some fans simply cannot handle it and it's a know fact in every single fandom. Anyone who's going trough that needs to take a break from fandom and find out why this bothers them so much, a famous person personal life is ultimately absolutely none of our business and any extreme reaction to it shows a problem with yourself and not on the other person.

[emoji115]Amen. Stop ruining it for everyone else.

Looks like it, doesn't it. But as I said before he's been looking pretty ropey since he's been seeing "the plank" - think the old man from Family Guy - but at least she's slowed him down when it comes to his loose with his trousers ways...or so they say...wink wink.

:tup::tup:

Of course people are free to dislike anyone they like but the amount of energy invested into writing offensively about this one actress by a select few is nearly always motivated by her being Michael's girlfriend. Some of the people who have posted here today, writing negatively about her, have posted here before and made it clear they are not happy about this coupling. So I think it's reasonable to draw the conclusion that their recent posts, whether they mentioned Michael or not, are similarly motivated.

They are becoming more and more desperate. In fact we have seen the same in other celebrity couples, nothing new and don't expect them to go away easily. Now with the high profile role, they can't sit still and must come here and spread venom.
Let's sit down and see the clowns performing.....

^this! There is nothing about her that says Lara Croft at all. She's more suited for period films and the only athleticism i see in her is from her ballerina background. She's just not a sexy bad azz chick and her acting isnt strong enough to deliver these character traits. This will be like Anne Hathaway miscast as Catwoman. She's gonna miss the mark on this one.

Oh my days! I thought I'd seen the last of "boring knickers". Now "the sinus infected sounding one" has been gifted Lara Croft!!! What are the producers thinking!!! Say what you like about Angie baby but at least she's got a bit of edge and chutzpah about her and was perfect for the role, unlike "boring knickers" who has got about as much edge as the corner of a snotty hankie left out on a rainy day. "Boring knickers" isn't even sexy. She's sexless with male Russian shot putters legs. You know life is unfair when you see chicks like her getting a lift up. Can't she just marry some millionaire, get sprogged up and do everyone a favour and disappear. She's ruining my cinema going experience.
She's easily avoidable,if you want. Nobody is forcing you to watch her movies,read her interviews. I doubt she's ruining your cinama going experience because you were dying to watch all her movies..

Yeah, very high profile part - not bad for an actress who, according to a select few can't act, has no charismaand relies on her PR boyfriend for success, plus Weinstein to buy her roles, LMAO! These people never give in and accept that Alicia's star is continuing to rise. Their angry comments would be entertaining except that we've heard it all before for over a year! Truth is Alicia is forging a great career for herself on the back of her talent and hard work. She doesn't need help from anyone and has proved herself which is why directors want her in their films. The hate being thrown at her is,as usual, largely from those who aren't happy that she's Michael's girlfriend.
He's buying roles,Oscars (with which money?:P) but her movie with his company is getting dumped.. :lol: Her personal reviews,the people who are working with her and who have worked with her,her career trajectory speak volumes about her. And,as I've already said,most people ignore they're dating..

I kind of agree and I am actually a fan of her acting :/

I love her films but her interviews....my goodness. I actually find them to be ideal sleeping material. She has a really nice voice but is unbelievably boring at the same time. Great white noise. She just doesn't have any ooomph. And I saw that bit of her sucking on the dude's finger in the trailer of Tulip Fever. There was nothing hot about it. It was like watching an extremely awkward 14 year trying to be sexy. Cringe.

But I do think she's coming out of her shell a little bit and her interviews are improving. I saw one with Anne Thompson a couple of years ago where she just pissed me off as she was basically giving one word answers. She has improved a lot since then. Hope she continues to do that.
Well,English is not her native language. She has even admitted that she has still problems.
It's tough," she said, coming off four hours' sleep after flying in from the set of the new "Bourne Identity" installment. "I try to be myself, but I'm always nervous letting go. I am very serious about my work. But I think it's a bit of a cultural thing, too. Everyone thinks my English is so good. But with the language barrier, I often feel like I want to add that little extra flavor to what I'm saying. Sometimes I wish people could hang out with me for 10 minutes when I'm speaking Swedish."

Vikander is extremely proficient in English — she lives in London now — but still makes occasional grammatical errors that remind you it's not her native language, like "part of my brain have forgotten that I did it."

Many times, she's felt out of place here. One summer, she attended a New York ballet camp with a childhood friend. When they first saw each other, she ran to gave him a hug but was swiftly reprimanded.

"The teachers were like, 'PDA! PDA!'" she recalled. "Girls and boys weren't allowed to hang out after a certain hour."
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-alicia-vikander-20151122-story.html

I agree with everything you said.

Also another article and gives some info about the game
Why Alicia Vikander Was Cast as Lara Croft in the Next TOMB RAIDER Movie
http://www.pointofgeeks.com/why-ali...-as-lara-croft-in-the-next-tomb-raider-movie/
According to THR, it seems that the upcoming movie will be adapting many of the elements from the reboot of the video game from 2013. The new reboot will “tell the story of a young and untested Croft fighting to survive her first adventure.” The game also followed the character’s evolution from a shipwrecked and terrified victim, to a brutal heroine who has mastered her environment. The new interpretation of Croft is much more layered and she has more character development throughout the course of her first adventure, than all of the previous games combined. So it would stand to reason that the movie will push Croft even further in this direction. Much like the game has evolved, we should expect a much more gritty and grounded version from director Roar Uthaug (The Wave).

I'm actually kinda disappointed she's taking that part of Lara Croft. She should stay in serious movies. I'm afraid Tomb Rider will kill her career.
I've read many other persons saying that these franchises are below what she can do. Honestly,I don't think this kind of movies precludes other opportunities. She's following the career path of other "serious" actors. It's a risky move,of course,but she can already get other roles to diversify her resume.

This.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...der-movie-is-on-the-right-track/#70c89488126f
At this point, the question is whether or not the film can live up the actress’s talent, not whether she can live up to the role of Lara Croft.

This, thank you Allie. There's many things wrong with the original films (and games) I hope they see this and make the necessary changes. For example, there's nothing one single woman acting alongside Angelina in the original movie? That's all kinds of wrong. I truly hope they cast more actresses to work with Alicia in this because even tho I did like the original movies when I was growing up I'm old enough now to see that while it was breakthrough there were still many things wrong with it.
I haven't played he new version of the game yet but it sounds like it's a sort of origins story and that's very interesting, we don't see that onthe original movies and I think it's a good way to start a reboot.
I don't know the Norwegian director Uthaug but,considering what I've read about The Wave,he could be the right choice for this. I'm more worried about the writer who is rewriting the script because she's basically unknown. I hope they nail the script because I've heard that there's plenty of interesting material for her. I don't know the new games but apparently they're really good. And there's the opportunity to cast another actress for the role of Sam Nishimura.