2020 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

An update... both purchases are made and I'll post my own pics when I get them. Attached are stock pics.
The Brio vintage is the red and white bag, with pleats on the side and the braided strap.
There was a full red version (but I can't do that much bright lipstick red), and a full white version (that was in bad shape) available, so I figured get the best of both with this colourblocked one. I think the contrast makes the pleats/braids/details more noticeable.

The Coach crosstown is white and has neon pink whipstitching on the sides. The seller has no idea, but I literally had an offer for a fully factory wrapped one at the exact same price...but in the end, I opted to buy her preloved one.
This is the 3rd time I've had this happen and every time I've chosen the preloved for the same price as the new. I don't know why, but I guess I'd rather extend the life of something I know someone else doesn't love over getting a brand new one that I know others will surely snap up quickly.
My best friend keeps telling me I'm nuts for this but, my gut always says take the used one as the owner may be in need of the cash.
Would any of you make that choice if in my position? Genuinely wanting opinions in case it happens again. :smile:

Also, the only thing about both purchases is that they're similar colourways but, in terms of size and shape, they are totally different bags. Both of these are nothing like anything else in my collection. It will be nice to try out a different vibe and see if it brings some cheer.

View attachment 4859660

View attachment 4859661
Bag purchases to celebrate recovery, you deserve them!! Happy to see you back here. :flowers::heart:

An update... both purchases are made and I'll post my own pics when I get them. Attached are stock pics.
The Brio vintage is the red and white bag, with pleats on the side and the braided strap.
There was a full red version (but I can't do that much bright lipstick red), and a full white version (that was in bad shape) available, so I figured get the best of both with this colourblocked one. I think the contrast makes the pleats/braids/details more noticeable.

The Coach crosstown is white and has neon pink whipstitching on the sides. The seller has no idea, but I literally had an offer for a fully factory wrapped one at the exact same price...but in the end, I opted to buy her preloved one.
This is the 3rd time I've had this happen and every time I've chosen the preloved for the same price as the new. I don't know why, but I guess I'd rather extend the life of something I know someone else doesn't love over getting a brand new one that I know others will surely snap up quickly.
My best friend keeps telling me I'm nuts for this but, my gut always says take the used one as the owner may be in need of the cash.
Would any of you make that choice if in my position? Genuinely wanting opinions in case it happens again. :smile:

Also, the only thing about both purchases is that they're similar colourways but, in terms of size and shape, they are totally different bags. Both of these are nothing like anything else in my collection. It will be nice to try out a different vibe and see if it brings some cheer.

View attachment 4859660

View attachment 4859661

The bags you bought @jblended are great! So special and unlike everything we get to see every day. I personally prefer the Brio over the Coach because of its rocky vibes. Congratulations on finding these beauties!

Re buying preloved rather than brandnew at the exact same price I fear I wouldn´t think as ethically as you. Given this choice I´d go for brandnew, preferrably from a professional dealer who gives me the option to the return the item in case I am not happy with it.
I have never been in the situation before, though. The items I buy are usually "from the bottom shelf" and nobody would sell a brand new item at the prices I am willing to pay.

I didn't take this outside today, just showing it off to you guys with the Twilly that took me ages to find. The craftsperson told me not to carry the bag without a twilly or to wear gloves.

For quite a few years I've felt the twilly designs were all getting brighter and busier with every season and was using a bias-folded Hermès navy Printemps Ete 69- Automne Hiver 45, but luckily this cw of Cassandre's Jeu de Cartes twilly fitted really well and it's only for this bag. Actually, in all my years of collecting I only have 3 twillys so far.

H Sac Malette was once my grandmother's and is from the late 1940s, I didn't know the date until the craftsperson worked on it, I didn't even realise such old pieces had date stamps. My cousin got my grandmother's Brn BK 28 (returne) and my sister another bag. Let me tell you there was stiff competition for the Kelly, but now I think I'm the luckiest one.

Apparently C19 is getting worse again in many places in my country atm. Honestly, there was no social distancing gone on on the beach today so DH and I went to the cricket ground instead and watched the games until dinner time. Took my Evie and cheated on my H scarves with a Gucci Flora.

View attachment 4853393
@papertiger
My DH had some exciting old magazines in the post today- L´Illustration from 1926 and 1927- and guess what I spotted: Hermes advertisements!

1926 (4).jpg1926 (1).jpg1926 (2).jpg

is this your bag featured in snakeskin in this ad?

And some more from 1927.

1927 (6).jpg1927 (4).jpg1927 (5).jpg

Is this the Bolide with a "downstairs compartment"?

Nice to see you! retail therapy has definitely helped in this bizarro year!

Sometimes there´s no alternative to retail therapy to keep the spirits up.... I know what I´m talking about as I definetely have no clean "shop my own closet" slate atm. Two purchases in one month... but they both make me happy and looking at the listings for similar items that are still online I feel I bought them at the right moment.

@papertiger
My DH had some exciting old magazines in the post today- L´Illustration from 1926 and 1927- and guess what I spotted: Hermes advertisements!

View attachment 4859915View attachment 4859912View attachment 4859913

is this your bag featured in snakeskin in this ad?

And some more from 1927.

View attachment 4859920View attachment 4859918View attachment 4859919

Amazing!

The Bolide with a "downstairs compartment" has been called many things in the past including Macpherson or a Secret.

You can see that many of their popular handbags form today are scaled-down travel bags.

OT, but a couple of months ago (and on the advice of my dentist's office manager, who is sanitizing EVERYTHING) I invested in a UV-C sanitizer. It sits just inside the front door. We just toss everything into it when we get home: glasses, wallets, phones, car keys…

In 10 minutes, everything is sanitized. And no need to wipe anything down. :clap:

Thanks for this idea I got one. It is great. All my friends are getting them now :P
(And here me thinking this thread was about being encouraged to buy less stuff :amazed:)

Thank you all for the warm welcome back! :heart: I actually thought as I was posting that nobody is likely to remember me. :lol:
And a special thanks to those of you who followed my 3rd covid round on the relevant thread! I cannot express sufficiently how touching it was to receive that kind of support. I am truly so, so fortunate in every way. Thank you :love:

Oh, I had followed your struggle but have not been much in that thread lately so didn’t know you went through a THIRD round of Covid. What?! Happy to hear you are well, and all the best!

And some more from 1927.

View attachment 4859920View attachment 4859918View attachment 4859919

Oh how interesting. I am also waiting for a bunch of vintage magazines from the 30s that I ordered in a lot. I love reading that stuff.
That’s the Macpherson Bolide. I believe they still make them.

View attachment 4859660

View attachment 4859661
Congrats on your purchases, jblended! So glad to see you recovered and posting again.:flowers:

My long chain arrived today.

View attachment 4859935View attachment 4859936
Sorry, the photos are awfully blurry. My phone couldn´t cope with the bad light this afternoon.
Is this the right length for a woc chain or will I have to shorten it, please?

View attachment 4859938 View attachment 4859939

playing with the filters

View attachment 4859941
That looks great on you. Congrats! I think you can wear it at whatever length you like. I have one wallet on chain and while it's long enough to wear crossbody, I sometimes prefer to wrap the chain inside and wear it as a short shoulder bag.

I love handbag advertisements in old magazines -- so cool! Thanks for sharing them in your other post. It would be fun to try to find and post pictures of some more of them. One of my favorites is the one of Marion Cotillard holding the Lady Dior on the Eiffel Tower. I'm not sure if that was featured in any magazines since I have only seen it online, and in the Lady Dior thread in the Dior sub-forum.

Amazing!

The Bolide with a "downstairs compartment" has been called many things in the past including Macpherson or a Secret.

You can see that many of their popular handbags form today are scaled-down travel bags.

"Secret" is the direct route to the big Detective bag by Galliano for Dior (2005) with the very same downstairs compartment, only with a zip...

1601164443979.png

That looks great on you. Congrats! I think you can wear it at whatever length you like. I have one wallet on chain and while it's long enough to wear crossbody, I sometimes prefer to wrap the chain inside and wear it as a short shoulder bag.

I love handbag advertisements in old magazines -- so cool! Thanks for sharing them in your other post. It would be fun to try to find and post pictures of some more of them. One of my favorites is the one of Marion Cotillard holding the Lady Dior on the Eiffel Tower. I'm not sure if that was featured in any magazines since I have only seen it online, and in the Lady Dior thread in the Dior sub-forum.

Thank-you! I´ll have to actually wear it out and see whether this length works for me or if it might be better a little shorter (for not to catch on shopping carts for example). Shoulder chains don´t do the trick for me. They are hard work as they tend to slip down. It´s either the short chain over my arm or crossbody with the opening towards the body, so I can actually access the wallet comfortably, I think... it´s all so new to me. I never had anything like this before!

I agree about old advertisements. They are so nice! After my asking to take photos of the Hermes ads DH might well feel motivated to point more bag ads out to me when he is reading his old magazines.

Bag purchases to celebrate recovery, you deserve them!! Happy to see you back here. :flowers::heart:
:hugs:
The bags you bought @jblended are great! So special and unlike everything we get to see every day. I personally prefer the Brio over the Coach because of its rocky vibes. Congratulations on finding these beauties!
Thank you! One of these days, I will have to post pictures of the more unique bags in my collection. I've never done a showcase but I have some quirky bags, many that I designed and had custom made.
I adore Brio bags and there are always some available on the market (usually priced as low $15-50). I browse them often.
The details on most of them are special (IMO) and they are, usually, super utilitarian in design. Plenty of secret pockets without bulking up the profile of the bags.
This is the first one I have bought, though, because most of their bags are far too large for me. If I could handle larger sizes in my bags, I would probably own several of them. The leather always looks thick and chewy but I'll be able to speak more to that once I'm holding my first piece. :yes:

Re buying preloved rather than brandnew at the exact same price I fear I wouldn´t think as ethically as you. Given this choice I´d go for brandnew, preferrably from a professional dealer who gives me the option to the return the item in case I am not happy with it.
Thanks for chiming in! :smile:
I ended up creating a thread asking this question and it seems the majority would do the same as you. I mean, even I recognise that my choice is the weird one but it always feels like the right one?
I have to think a bit more about why I do that and almost cheat myself out of a new piece, lol. I know my reasoning on the surface, but when it's so obvious that you're going against the grain...I should reflect and evaluate.

Oh, I had followed your struggle but have not been much in that thread lately so didn’t know you went through a THIRD round of Covid. What?! Happy to hear you are well, and all the best!
Thank you! :flowers:
It's insane, isn't it? In my case, the running theory is that I officially only caught it once but it has since made a home in my system and has recurred twice thereafter. This 3rd round was the shortest. I tested positive for only 9 days and then tested negative twice (day 9 and day 11). I am still in strict isolation at home for another week because we can't be sure that I'm not infectious, so better to be safe than sorry.
I've only been out of hospital for 2 days and I haven't slept a wink (from the shock of it all, perhaps?) so have thrown myself into bags and playing on the forums because I am not ready to feel all the emotions welling up inside me.
Sorry to bring this heavy topic in here- I won't do that again. :biggrin:
Congrats on your purchases, jblended! So glad to see you recovered and posting again.:flowers:
:flowers: Thank you!

My long chain arrived today.

View attachment 4859935View attachment 4859936
Sorry, the photos are awfully blurry. My phone couldn´t cope with the bad light this afternoon.
Is this the right length for a woc chain or will I have to shorten it, please?

View attachment 4859938 View attachment 4859939

playing with the filters

View attachment 4859941
I am legitimately drooling! It's GORGEOUS! This is my kind of Dior! Sorry, I'm not caught up- is it new to you or from your existing collection?
Wear this beauty in good health! :heart: