2017 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok on the shoe theme.
Soramillay was saying she is hard on shoes. And thedeesr as well! I have the opposite problems as those moms ---this mom never wears through shoes in under 12 years. I just tossed a pair I bought in 2004 and I actually secretly ruined them in December on purpose by wearing them with no socks for an entire 3 week trip to the US until the inside heel got shredded from friction. They were shearling boots that managed to go with anything and be comfortable always and warm always and just perfect but I could not consider owning them for another dozen years. I sabotaged them so I could throw them out because Oh good lord that was enough of those. They are very high quality Pertti Palmroth by the way in case anyone wants to know the brand.
Anyway, this drives me crazy that I have shoes from my early twenties still in the closet not worn out yet. I occasionally buy a pair of boots (I get lots of winter) and occasionally a pair of shoes and if you do this for fifteen years since college you end up with dozens of shoes and with so many to rotate through they really never wear out. Ever.
I found jimmy choo shearling knee high boots in Manhattan in 2009 and bought them in black and camel so three thousand for the two pairs and I'm starting to get sick of those but I am INVESTED. Plus they are 110% me in style and needs so why would I toss? I rarely buy but when I do I invest and then it takes ages for me to be done with them emotionally and physically. Ages!
I am so irritated by this because I wish I occasionally needed to buy footwear. But I never do.

The same with my winter toscana shearling collection (see a theme?)....I have been also adding different colors in the same style toscana shearling coat since I was 24, now i have 4 of them and the only one that starts to look worn is my first one, the black. And at what point do I decide it needs to be donated and get a new one? Besides maybe it just needs to be cleaned and I do not know how to do that or where to take it. I'm lazy so I just keep rotating and not care. It's usually so dark out this time of year that no one would be able to notice that my coat is not so brand new looking.
But now I have the same issue - no excuse to coat shop. I have outerwear that is perfect for me and perfect for every situation in my life and none of it seems to need replacing ever. Boo! No fun!

I also did a wardrobe overhaul in the last decade and now have everything in my 3 favorite natural fibers and in one specific flattering palette and everything that is not very flattering & comfy is gone so I can't seem to whittle down my wardrobe nor find any holes to fill. Bah!!!!
Worst thing for never needing to shop is that I have a sewing room and can alter and repair anything.

I also have already collected the jewelry I want and feel it is enough. I scratched that itch and it's done. An occasional pair of fashion earrings and I am fine.
My shawls and scarves I honed in on my favorite fibers and colors and styles and now have enough. Ditto for hats.
I built up my grown up collection of matching bra sets in my twenties and have a zillion ; although they do occasionally wear out. Maybe one day I can justify a new bra but I need to get out of nursing bras first. Definitely new panties on occasion but I found hanky pankys years ago and bought a lifetime collection of them so I'm kind of set there too.

I have a fancy gown in my closet from 2000 that I can still rock, or when I stop breastfeeding will be able to again and I anyway never have need for a fancy dress. A few other full gowns. I have a couple dozen less full on formal dresses but again, never need them.
So formalwear is covered. Even premier heels to go with them.

I have shopproofed my life!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!

Gloves and sunglasses though, that I could use more of. I have one glorious pair of Miami Jim sunnies (aviators) that are perfect but scratched; need more. And I'm awful about losing gloves. But I don't know when I'll ever splurge on them. I get so few sunny days per year.

I did do something to try to curb the urge to buy a bag though. I bought tickets to America for the summer and am choosing now a beach house to rent with a college friend and her kids. I can tell myself budget needs to go for that!!

And......I scheduled a renewal of my eyebrows (they are the 'permanent' tattoos that last only 3-5 years) for next week and a leg lasering session as well, to zap the follicles on my legs so I can exercise these next few months without needing to check if I need to shave my legs for public exposure, and then just before summer vacation I will do it again for a hassle free summer of hairless legs (and then let's see next autumn if I do it again or if the hair has been already reduced so much that it isn't visible anymore). I hate to shave or wax so I've been slowly investing in permanent hair removal and I'm finally embarking on the legs. So worth it to permanently reduce the amount of unwanted hair that grows in unsightly places! If you are very lazy like me.

Aaaaand bed is covered in baby vomit.

I [emoji173]️ you and your posts. They are the Kenya break this mama needs from the sick baby! [emoji8]

Spark, how about you list your clothes (& accessories and costume/fashion jewelry!) on eBay in one big lot? Take individual photos and then mix and match all your unwanted clothes and accessories in 'outfits' just on the floor in whimsical poses (unless you have a mannequin), and post all the photos as ideas of possible outfits to pair the items together into cool looks. It's actually kind of fun. Then you get rid of the whole box of stuff to one buyer in one fell swoop. The key for success here is that you only need to find one person (or better yet a few to bid against each other) who is the same size as you and who has a similar style as the clothes, and they will likely be interested in all of it together. I have bought lots of clothes like that before and of course the amount per item is very cheap for the buyer but the convenience to the seller is very good and you still get a little chunk of cash!
GREAT idea. I'll try that. I really have sell fatigue.
Wow! So many posts from when I last peeked in. Met with MBA "sisters", not sorority sisters in any way, just an endearment we use after spending long hours together for case studies and group work during our school days. We graduated almost 15 years ago!!

Anyway, we met for lunch at this upscale but casual restaurant in a new development area in the metro. First time for me to see so many Hermes bags in the flesh in one place!!! B, K and Picotin. Maybe I missed some still.

And what's nice with the place, they have this bag basket that they offer their customers. Here's my AMQ in it. Nice touch!
View attachment 3582182
Everytime I see your AMQ, I want one. I saw one in cobalt and was soooo tempted. I think that shape & style would be the perfect contrast to my cobalt Miss Dior. The AMQ is a little edgy but still refined. This is going on my list of possibilities for my 2nd cobalt.

Reactions: msd_bags
Ok on the shoe theme.
Soramillay was saying she is hard on shoes. And thedeesr as well! I have the opposite problems as those moms ---this mom never wears through shoes in under 12 years. I just tossed a pair I bought in 2004 and I actually secretly ruined them in December on purpose by wearing them with no socks for an entire 3 week trip to the US until the inside heel got shredded from friction. They were shearling boots that managed to go with anything and be comfortable always and warm always and just perfect but I could not consider owning them for another dozen years. I sabotaged them so I could throw them out because Oh good lord that was enough of those. They are very high quality Pertti Palmroth by the way in case anyone wants to know the brand.
Anyway, this drives me crazy that I have shoes from my early twenties still in the closet not worn out yet. I occasionally buy a pair of boots (I get lots of winter) and occasionally a pair of shoes and if you do this for fifteen years since college you end up with dozens of shoes and with so many to rotate through they really never wear out. Ever.
I found jimmy choo shearling knee high boots in Manhattan in 2009 and bought them in black and camel so three thousand for the two pairs and I'm starting to get sick of those but I am INVESTED. Plus they are 110% me in style and needs so why would I toss? I rarely buy but when I do I invest and then it takes ages for me to be done with them emotionally and physically. Ages!
I am so irritated by this because I wish I occasionally needed to buy footwear. But I never do.

The same with my winter toscana shearling collection (see a theme?)....I have been also adding different colors in the same style toscana shearling coat since I was 24, now i have 4 of them and the only one that starts to look worn is my first one, the black. And at what point do I decide it needs to be donated and get a new one? Besides maybe it just needs to be cleaned and I do not know how to do that or where to take it. I'm lazy so I just keep rotating and not care. It's usually so dark out this time of year that no one would be able to notice that my coat is not so brand new looking.
But now I have the same issue - no excuse to coat shop. I have outerwear that is perfect for me and perfect for every situation in my life and none of it seems to need replacing ever. Boo! No fun!

I also did a wardrobe overhaul in the last decade and now have everything in my 3 favorite natural fibers and in one specific flattering palette and everything that is not very flattering & comfy is gone so I can't seem to whittle down my wardrobe nor find any holes to fill. Bah!!!!
Worst thing for never needing to shop is that I have a sewing room and can alter and repair anything.

I also have already collected the jewelry I want and feel it is enough. I scratched that itch and it's done. An occasional pair of fashion earrings and I am fine.
My shawls and scarves I honed in on my favorite fibers and colors and styles and now have enough. Ditto for hats.
I built up my grown up collection of matching bra sets in my twenties and have a zillion ; although they do occasionally wear out. Maybe one day I can justify a new bra but I need to get out of nursing bras first. Definitely new panties on occasion but I found hanky pankys years ago and bought a lifetime collection of them so I'm kind of set there too.

I have a fancy gown in my closet from 2000 that I can still rock, or when I stop breastfeeding will be able to again and I anyway never have need for a fancy dress. A few other full gowns. I have a couple dozen less full on formal dresses but again, never need them.

Gloves and sunglasses though, that I could use more of. I have one glorious pair of Miami Jim sunnies (aviators) that are perfect but scratched; need more. And I'm awful about losing gloves. But I don't know when I'll ever splurge on them. I get so few sunny days per year.

I did do something to try to curb the urge to buy a bag though. I bought tickets to America for the summer and am choosing now a beach house to rent with a college friend and her kids. I can tell myself budget needs to go for that!!

And......I scheduled a renewal of my eyebrows (they are the 'permanent' tattoos that last only 3-5 years) for next week and a leg lasering session as well, to zap the follicles on my legs so I can exercise these next few months without needing to check if I need to shave my legs for public exposure, and then just before summer vacation I will do it again for a hassle free summer of hairless legs (and then let's see next autumn if I do it again or if the hair has been already reduced so much that it isn't visible anymore). I hate to shave or wax so I've been slowly investing in permanent hair removal and I'm finally embarking on the legs. So worth it to permanently reduce the amount of unwanted hair that grows in unsightly places! If you are very lazy like me.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] You crack me up. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I guess our life is kind of similar in the area of shop-proof. Still, I find a reason to get something. ;)

I purged my shoe closet last year. I just give away all the shoes I have that no longer fit or just not comfortable enough. Believe me, some are worn only once or twice, but I told myself I don't have any point in keeping them since they'll just keep hurting me. So, now I have quite a slimed down shoe collection which I'm happy with. There's a couple pairs that's older than 6 years. I think I'll just die wearing them if they don't die first. [emoji16] I'm very abusive and neglected with my shoes. [emoji28]

And with my buying-in-bulk habit, my cloth closet is kinda overflow with stuff I love too much. [emoji23] Gotta get rid of them bit by bit, too. ;) But there'll always be some pieces I keep just because I like them or that they hold a good memory for me. [emoji4] I can say that my staff whom I gave my clothes to said they're a big hit at the flea market where she sells them to make some extra money.

Lucky me I'm short sighted so sunglasses is never an issue to bother. I just get the lenses that change color according to the light they're exposed to and I'm set.

Have fun on your trip and post some photo. ;)

Yeah... trying to train DD to sleep without diapers is very hard. My favorite duvet is on a speed dial with the dry cleaner. [emoji28]

Reactions: dcooney4
When you describe a bag you have for sale how do you determine the condition. I won't say what bag it is as I don't want people to think I am selling here. I wrote on one bag very good used condition. I have used it quite a bit, but it shows no signs of wear and the inside is immaculate. Since has some tanning on its tag but no dirt at all was this correct. I have another that I wrote EUC because it was only worn twice for about two hours total time . Is that correct?

Wow! So many posts from when I last peeked in. Met with MBA "sisters", not sorority sisters in any way, just an endearment we use after spending long hours together for case studies and group work during our school days. We graduated almost 15 years ago!!

Anyway, we met for lunch at this upscale but casual restaurant in a new development area in the metro. First time for me to see so many Hermes bags in the flesh in one place!!! B, K and Picotin. Maybe I missed some still.

And what's nice with the place, they have this bag basket that they offer their customers. Here's my AMQ in it. Nice touch!
View attachment 3582182
Great idea with the basket. Love that bag.

When you describe a bag you have for sale how do you determine the condition. I won't say what bag it is as I don't want people to think I am selling here. I wrote on one bag very good used condition. I have used it quite a bit, but it shows no signs of wear and the inside is immaculate. Since has some tanning on its tag but no dirt at all was this correct. I have another that I wrote EUC because it was only worn twice for about two hours total time . Is that correct?
That sounds good. I look it over super carefully and try to note anything that someone might see as a flaw plus normal wear and tear like hardware scratching. I also try to take pictures of typical problem areas like corners even if they are fine, because people will usually ask about these. Usually I'm nitpicky enough that buyers will sometimes day the bag is in better condition than they expected.

I live for those.
I only have one within two hours of me and it is not the best. Sigh. I do however not need anything and I spend so much time scouring children flea markets for high end high quality clothes for my kids in excellent condition at a fraction of the price that I don't think I have the patience left to search for myself much!
Actually I do need something. I need to find my athletic shoes so I can start going to the gym I just joined but I have no idea where they are. I'm about to just buy new ones but guaranteed I will find my own pairs instantly if I do. I haven't done exercise besides yoga since 2014 so those sneakers could be anywhere.

It's great you do source kids stuff secondhand. They grow so fast! Maybe when they are grown a little more you can find a place for you!

Hopefully those shoes will still be comfortable for you!

Ok on the shoe theme.

It sounds like you're just bored of your stuff.
And honestly that's okay, IMO.

Barely anything in my closet currently is over 4 years old. Why? I get bored so I sell and donate and buy different things.

I can do this within my budget so my finances don't take a hit, and I do sell what is sellable, to replenish the shopping fund.

Could you do that? No need to ruin things if you can sell them.

Tastes change. There's no need to be so frustrated over what you own. They should make you happy! Let these go somehow and then go get new things.

SuzieSueSure, sick baby here too. So much vomit and diarrhea. At least the older 3 are fine. Big sister had it last Thursday so that's where it came from.

I'm actually not bored of my stuff. I'm really picky and I really still love it and know it would take years and years to find another wardrobe with stuff I like as much in case there was a fire. It's just that I love to shop and wish I had an excuse to do so.

I always think I'm giving myself range but what I see from my wear log is I'm not wearing the bags that should go. By definition if I'm wearing them they shouldn't go:lol: (or at minimum I should replace them with a bag with the same elements). So I have to keep reminding myself that it's better for me to get rid of a bag I use never or many once every 18 months and replace it with a bag I'll be excited to use 10, 20 or more times a year.

I defnitely struggle with this. I have a couple bags I rarely wear, but if I ever let them go, I'd really find myself in a bind for the situations I need them.

I count them in my tally--after all, they're taking up closet space. For some of them, it's worth it to have them on hand for the times I need them, even if it's only once every 18 months. For some of the others, it's not, and that's what it can be tough to figure out.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
I'm curious. Why are cross bodies this small good for you for travel? Don't you need "stuff"?

When traveling I always take few clutchs and a premiere bag to coordinate my outfits. I always take a crossbody bag because during the day for sightseeing or shopping I like to be handsfree and secure especially out of the country .

I too like a small crossbody when I travel, for the same reasons missie1 stated. I don't like to carry too much stuff during the day anyway, and I definitely don't want to drag myself down with stuff while I'm shopping or sightseeing. I don't like the proportions on mini bags either--I always think they make me look giant!--but for travel, I will go a little smaller than usual. I like something slim that sits against my body so it doesn't get knocked about by other people in a crowd, and I think something small is a little easier to keep track of when safety is a concern. I can easily hold my purse against my body or swing it around to the front of my body to watch it a little better if needed. I almost got pickpocketed on a couple different occasions while traveling, and a small, secure bag is a good way to guard against that.

essiedub, your Kate Spade is just gorgeous!
View attachment 3581502 This Kate Spade grosgrain tote/handbag has got to be one of my favorites! I cannot explain it. It just makes me smile. I think it encapsulates what I wish I were...flirty, spontaneous, and easy-going...which I am not. I'm a control freak and a workaholic; a perfectionist and a maximizer (per NYTimes definition). It's exhausting. And these last 24 hours have been most trying. I'm too overcome to march so am just hunkered down in my handbag closet.

Reactions: essiedub
Which bags did you forget and now love again?

That would have to be my Coach Madison-Sadie in ice-blue. I do not look good in ice blue, but I still love the color. I was going on a trip a couple of years ago, and I realized I didn't have a single crossbody bag that could hold much except for the Coach. I had been planning on selling it, but I decided to take it out one last time because everything else was too big or too small or too beat-up. So I packed a bunch of black and white and gray clothes and found that I LOVED the way the Coach looked with them. Bonus: Because I could remove the shoulder strap, it transitioned really nicely to evening as a top-handle bag. I packed just that one bag for the whole trip and was amazed at how much I liked it.

However, I've since gotten other crossbodies and other colorful bags that split my wears with the Coach, and I don't wear it as much now as I thought I might.

I too like a small crossbody when I travel, for the same reasons missie1 stated. I don't like to carry too much stuff during the day anyway, and I definitely don't want to drag myself down with stuff while I'm shopping or sightseeing. I don't like the proportions on mini bags either--I always think they make me look giant!--but for travel, I will go a little smaller than usual. I like something slim that sits against my body so it doesn't get knocked about by other people in a crowd, and I think something small is a little easier to keep track of when safety is a concern. I can easily hold my purse against my body or swing it around to the front of my body to watch it a little better if needed. I almost got pickpocketed on a couple different occasions while traveling, and a small, secure bag is a good way to guard against that.

OMG getting pickpocketed while traveling is my worst fear. I always wear my crossbody in front of me. I've heard such horror stories about passports or cash being nabbed. Do you find yourself willing to splurge on these or do you reign in the spending as they don't really hold much

Status
Not open for further replies.