Your pet peeve misspellings?

Feb 2, 2006
A just for fun topic.......

Not that I'm a master speller, but there are some misspellings that make the hair on the back of my neck stand up! Share the ones that annoy you the most! :yucky: :P I'll start off!

dilemna (hands-down the one I hate most, ARGH! No one pronounces it "dilem-NA" so why have the n??????) :hysteric:
alot
gage (instead of gauge)
greatful
carot or carrot (instead of carat)
quandry
suttle
awhile (instead of a while)
definitly, basicly, accidently, etc.
nauseas, naseous, nauseaous, etc.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL bagnshoo---my husband said that all the time when we first met. It made me giggle.

It drives me nuts when I see someone misuse "their", "there", and "they're" ... ack! I don't know why it bugs me so much. :smile:

i was in the school library using the computers when i saw that someone on this forum wrote delima, and i laughed out loud :lol:!

your instead of you're (this drives me insane :cursing:. it's not a matter of people being too lazy to hit the apostrophe or the e; they just can't tell the difference!)

site instead of sight (people use site regardless of which one it should be)

pouchette instead of pochette (if you're on eLuxury all day long, at least learn the damn spelling!)

this applies to Louis Vuitton only, but i loathe it when people write Po(u)chette Accessories, when it's really Pochette Accessoires. i think when i write it that way people think i'm spelling it wrong :P!

I'm guilty of the "pouchette" "pochette' mix up, and I teach English for a living! As a teacher, I see a variety of creative spelling.

My Top Ten List:

1. "loose" when the person means "lose," as in "I hope I don't loose my place in line!"
2. "potatoe"
3. "irregardless" (not a real word)
4. "their," there,"they're" mix-ups
5. "to, "too" mix-ups
6. "your," "you're" mix-ups
7. "its,"it's" mix-ups
8. eery (eerie)
9. phillipino (Filipino)
10. vacum, vaccum (vacuum)

Louie Vittin= Louis Vuitton

Pegasus= Pegase

Cherises- Cerises

"The brown ones"- Monogram Canvas Bags

"Rainbow bag", "Murakami Bag" or "Jessica Simpson bag"- Monogram Multicolore bags

I use irregardless & it is a word! I have been in several arguments over irregardless and it does exist.

Yes, it does exist, but it is not correct usage. Here is the entry from dictionary.com and the American Heritage Dictionary:

ir‧re‧gard‧less–adverb Nonstandard. regardless. [Origin: 1910–15; ir-2 (prob. after irrespective) + regardless]

—Usage note Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.American Heritage Dictionary ir·re·gard·less (
ibreve.gif
r
lprime.gif
ibreve.gif
-gärd
prime.gif
l
ibreve.gif
s) Pronunciation Key
adv. Nonstandar. Regardless.

[Probably blend of irrespective, and regardless.]
Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

My Top Ten List:

1. "loose" when the person means "lose," as in "I hope I don't loose my place in line!"
2. "potatoe"
3. "irregardless" (not a real word)
4. "their," there,"they're" mix-ups
5. "to, "too" mix-ups
6. "your," "you're" mix-ups
7. "its,"it's" mix-ups
8. eery (eerie)
9. phillipino (Filipino)
10. vacum, vaccum (vacuum)

Agree with all of these! Actually, I was just having a discussion with a friend about this very subject the other day. These are very basic English principles and yet their misuse seems to be running rampant.

A few more of my pet peeves:

"pacific" instead specific
who and whom mix-ups
"jewelery" or "jewlery" - misspelling and mispronunciation of jewelry
using "prostrate" instead of prostate to describe the cancer

Here is a link to 100 of the most mispronounced and misused phrases:
yourDictionary.com • 100 Most Often Mispronounced Words

Your & You're
There, Their & They're
To & Too
I am not good with grammar or sentence structure :confused1: but I do try my best to make sure my spelling is correct. The Snorks I envy you. When my children are old enough I swear I'm going back to school to conquer the English language.:biggrin:

When I used to surf eBay alot 'dinning' was quite a popular word.

I would even search for 'dinning chairs' or 'dinning table' because they may not have an education but they might still have nice furniture!

A misused phrase that bugs the hell out of me is 'try and'. I will correct someone midsentence if they say that to me.