Your pet peeve misspellings?

Their, there, they're; are, our; it's, its; and too and to. It only takes a second longer to stop and think about which you should use in a sentence. What drives me nuts the most though are the people who purposefully use the wrong one and justify it by saying "They all sound the same, so who cares?".

too; too; two
they're; there; their
it's; its
"alot" (a lot)
"noone" (no one)
"definately" (definitely)
"remeber" (remember)
"masterbate" (masturbate)<-probably my biggest spelling-related pet peeve:cursing:
"Saterday" (Saturday)
"Papillion" (Papillon)
"pouchette" (pochette)
"Louie Vutton" (Louis Vuitton)
"Multicolor" (Multicolore)
Pronouncing "asked" as "aksed"
Putting "more" in front of a word that ends in "-er"
Putting "most" in front of a word that ends in "-est"

That's all I can think of for now...

Haha, these are cracking me up!

I too am baffled by "dinning." How in the world does one come up with that spelling? It's pronounced "dye-ning" so following some basic rules in spelling, how do you come up with the double n????

I also can't stand "rediculous" -- I see it everywhere. And "expresso" just KILLS me!

Your, you're, their, there, they're, it's its --------> my biggest pet peeve ever, especially since it's takes like a second in your head to confirm the right one.

I will admit that ever since I've been active on the computer, my spelling has taken a turn for the worse. I think it's because I rely on spellcheck to automatically fix things rather than taking the time to fix the error myself.

I find that I have moments when I, inexplicably, go blank and completely forget how to spell a simple word. So, if I see one, or two, misspellings in a post (for example), I assume that that is probably what has happened to the poster.

I also, sometimes, spell something correctly, but it looks wrong to me! I then proceed to try to spell it other ways, which generally look even worse!

Also, there are obviously the spelling differences between English and American English and sometimes I find myself using an American spelling (which can look a bit odd, in amongst the other English spellings).

I don't like it when I buy a book and there are misspellings, though! I've paid good money for that book and I should be able to expect that it has been written by a fairly literate person; or at the very least, properly proofread before being published!

I am a copy editor, and I LOVE THIS THREAD. One of my least favorite things about the internet is the way that it is dumbing down writing and language.

I agree with everything mentioned above, and I have a couple more:

THAN and THEN. The difference between the two is extremely simple to learn.

AFFECT and EFFECT. A little more tricky, but still easy to learn. One way to remember which one to use: "affect" is an "action." Therefore, "effect" is a noun.