Changes to feedback policies on eBay

^^^^ That is what feedback is about!!! Telling other members your experiences. Now we won't have that option, unless sellers commit to leaving "positives" with a highly negative, in-all-capital-letters message.

I think that's a great idea! Unfortunately, a lot of people only look at the feedback percentage and won't take time to sift through the positives to find an honest negative, even if it is in all caps.

This is insane. So, buyers will ONLY be penalized for failing to pay? What about buyers who harass you, pay late, leave unwarranted negatives, or do other crazy stuff like the Paypal chargebacks mentioned above? I had a buyer try to scam me once by claiming she never received the item and charging back --- I couldn't leave her negative feedback under the new system?

Wow. Just, wow.

You know, this isn't going to work. Sellers are going to leave negative comments in their feedback anyway, even if it only shows up under a positive tag.

This is absolutely insane. Buyers will be leaving more negatives for crazy stuff such as delivery time not sellers fault, did not fit, did not like it, not what they thought it was when buyer does not read all of auction. I always update my BBL with buyers who leave undeserving negatives. I will probably stop selling very soon. Not worth it anymore with fee increase and this absurd policy. They even have a new rule where paypal can hold your payment for 21 days for some items that are high risk. They hodl it until buyer leaves positive or 21 days has past whichever comes first. They have lost it.

From the message that I received the reduced fees only apply to ebay.com. I originally registered on .com not .co.uk. Can anyone clarify if they have received one for the UK? I hope Uk fees are going to be reduced also!

From the message that I received the reduced fees only apply to ebay.com. I originally registered on .com not .co.uk. Can anyone clarify if they have received one for the UK? I hope Uk fees are going to be reduced also!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/01/29/ebay.fees.ap/index.html

Here's a good article. It states:

"The new fee structure, announced to a gathering of 200 of eBay's top North American sellers in Washington, goes into effect February 20 in the United States. More pricing changes are coming shortly in the United Kingdom and Germany."

ALSO: There is already a thread pertaining to listing fees changes. Feel free to post there.

I see your point here, and there is something to be said for encouraging a system where buyers aren't afraid to leave feedback. It's always so annoying to see someone that sells a bunch of fakes but has 100% positive feedback - maybe some of their buyers didn't know the difference, but I'm sure there are people that returned the item, etc., and don't leave feedback for fear of getting a negative in return.

On the other hand, negative feedback for buyers isn't nearly as damaging as it is for sellers. If you have enough negative feedback as a seller, you're going to have a hard time getting your stuff sold, while buyers will still be able to buy things. (Obviously if someone does a lot of buying and selling with the same account, then the negative for buyers play more of a role).

I agree with you that negative feedback has more of an impact on sellers than buyers, but in that same respect I think having accurate feedback for a seller is far more important. I think this new policy will encourage better customer service from sellers and will discourage those that are frauds. It's not perfect, a completely blind system would be best, but I think it's a step up in improvement. This whole 'once you leave feedback for me I'll leave it for you' has bugged me ever since sellers started doing this.

Linda

I leave feedback when transaction is complete and buyer is satisfied with my items and service. Remember that it can be the BUYER that is a fraud. Also sometimes the buyer have an issue with an item and instead of contacting the seller, leaves a negative letting the seller know of the problem. Very irresponsable.

Is like I'll buy an item the seller leaves me positive then the small shirt is to small on my large size boobs so I'm leaving a negative so he'll know it didn't fit then I'll file a claim with paypal or file a chargeback get my money back and happy my seller left me a positive as soon as I paid, jajajaa

Too bad if he gets mad when I return the shirt stretch out with a little hole in the stitching...

Well I guess I will be forced to start by leaving feedback as

*THIS IS A NEG* and try in so many words to explain. It still won't matter if the person has a lot of feedback, no one will ever see it. This is so unreal.

I consider blind feedback to mean you won't know what type of feedback or what comments the person left you for a certain amount of time- not that you never know who said what about you.

The problem with blind feedback is the same as with the new feedback they're implementing- except with blind feedback both seller and buyer could say anything they want (warranted or not) because the other person won't be able to read it until it's too late.
I wasn't clear in my post. I understood what you meant:yes: confused as to the cons for blind feedback. I think people would be more honest if it was blind. However, the crazies would still leave inappropriate feedback. The new feedback system will make buying from honest sellers a lot harder. As for the buyer, we will be screwed not knowing if we should block them or not. Unless you sift through each and every remark left for them. I hope eBay changes their plan of attack. Otherwise, my wish is that eBay has some kick a$$ competitor come along and take their business.

I still will not leave feedback immediately. It will be done after I get mine. I never understood why I had to wait for fb. Only until I started to sell, did it all make sense.

I am really upset by this. I've bought on ebay for a couple years now, but I've just started selling on ebay recently and check all of the high bidders on my auctions. I think that is especially important because a lot of us here sell higher ticketed items. I want to know a bit about the history of anyone bidding on my item. If they are habitually difficult or have scammed another seller, I certainly don't want them bidding on my item. I understand that the idea is to protect the buyer and let them leave honest feedback without retaliation. But doesn't ebay understand that the seller needs to be protected as well? If push comes to shove, most buyers can do a charge back on their card if they happen to come across a bad seller. Sellers can't do anything like that. Without honest feedback, we are setting ourselves up to be scammed and negged without fear of recourse.