Changes to feedback policies on eBay

I am aghast by this. I cannot believe that buyers can now only receive positive feedback. This is absolute bull and I doubt I will sell on ebay from now on.

It really is unreal & will be a free for all for lunatics.

Don't forget there are other sellers out there who can open an account on ebay, buy one of your items & leave you bad feedback to discredit you! Like SHE JUST SOLD ME A FAKE LV! Who would buy from you after that?
I am so angry about this!
When I had the bad feedback from the buyer who didnt pay & who did the same thing to other sellers with 100% feedback, my account manager said to me that it was probably a jealous competitor. Now these maniacs can do as they please & we cannot even defend ourselves if it happens!

I can understand why eBay thinks "buyers can only receive positive feedbacks" to prevent retaliated feedbacks from sellers. But what about buyers are the scammers and do the swap and return??? What is eBay thinking?

Ok, maybe its not clear yet on how the rules will change the system and who will benefit the most.....I was really excited but got on here and are reading your great points..and I lost a little of my excited feelings...so would this work....
example is following, JUST a SAMPLE of what could be on rating chart.
(give your ideas too)
Detailed buyer ratings:
Payment time delivery? *****
Followed Sellers policy? *****
Overall experience with buyer? *****
or....?????
Maybe this IDEA is foolish..so please be patient with me if it is....I am a little sensitive on expressing my opinion or asking questions, since people can't see or hear my tone, they take what I am saying wrong, or its misunderstood....and its the way I come across on my words... my :heart: is really trying to be social.

In my auctions I always give positive feedback within 24 hours of payment, because I feel the buyer did THEIR job and the rest is up to me!.

Perhaps eBay should have an anonymous (meaning neither the buyer or seller can tell WHO rated them) star system - for both buyer AND seller.

For the seller, keep the same ratings currently available...item as described, shipping time, communication, shipping cost (although that one's a little iffy)

For the buyer, how about timeliness of payment, communication, etc.

Given that both the buyer and seller have responsibilities when it comes to completing the transaction, wouldn't that be a more reasonable solution? It might take out the "emotion" factor, and completely eliminate the use of feedback as a bargaining tool by both buyers and sellers.

Buyers could no longer use subjective or completely false statements (such as claiming an item was "fake" just because they're not happy with the seller). Sellers could not claim that buyers failed to pay or call them "complete nut jobs" anymore.

Maybe that approach is far too simplistic, but it seems like a win-win to me. Ratings are still made, but are not directly part of the buying/selling process.

i think detailed buyer ratings are a good idea and i hope this is implemented. i find it unreal that ebay is only allowing positive feedback for buyers. there is no point in even having feedback for buyers if there is only one option of "good". i understand that ebay is trying to make the marketplace safer and more trusted for buyers so i commend them for that as it should help sellers in the long run by bringing in more bids and sales. i can only hope that eBay is going to take complaints from sellers regarding difficult buyers more seriously. i would assume that buyers will be suspended from ebay more readily if they cause problems.

It's crazy that you can only leave positive feedback or no feedback at all. When one of my auctions is bid on, I immediately start looking at the persons feedback to see if they have been a dead beat bidder.

^^^^ That is what feedback is about!!! Telling other members your experiences. Now we won't have that option, unless sellers commit to leaving "positives" with a highly negative, in-all-capital-letters message.

Buyers will only be able to receive positive Feedback.

Like most of you said, this makes no sense!
Seems to me it's one of ebay's unfair trading policies again, protecting THEIR interests, like this:

Buyer defaults and gives seller negative.
Upset seller seeks for ways to increase % score.
Seller finds that he could BUY more to receive +fb, since buyers can only receive +fb.
More purchases = more business for Paypal and ebay

SCUMBAGS! :cursing:

Couture_addict you haven't encountered buyers who received goods and do PP reversals, then find that they can't because of tracking proof, and leave you neg. I had some of those on my seller ID.

I am confused. If they left blind feedback how can one get screwed? It seems that it would be the most honest way to do feedback without retaliation. Or am I missing something that could go wrong with blind feedback?

I consider blind feedback to mean you won't know what type of feedback or what comments the person left you for a certain amount of time- not that you never know who said what about you.

The problem with blind feedback is the same as with the new feedback they're implementing- except with blind feedback both seller and buyer could say anything they want (warranted or not) because the other person won't be able to read it until it's too late.

Buyers will only be able to receive positive Feedback.

Does this make any sense??

That's crazy! I have only been a buyer on eBay, never a seller, but why even have feedback if it can't be negative? I haven't had the seller's perspective first-hand, but I think sellers should have any idea if buyers are shady. Maybe it would cut down on retaliatory feedback, since one half of the transaction can't retaliate, but it seems like it would be a worthless system.

Well if thats the case, I'll be leaving that 5 star positive but what I write will be whatever the truth is. I do agree that there is absolutely no point in only being able to leave positive feedback. It completely devalues the entire feedback system. Why bother with feedback at all?

IMHO, Buyers should be able to leave negative feedback without fear of retaliation, otherwise the whole feedback system is rather pointless. If buyers are afraid to leave honest feedback, what is the point of the entire system? Though I'm sure there will be buyers out there that take advantage of this (and this is a shame) there are so many sellers out there now that take advantage of the fact that they can hold feedback hostage to see what's left for them, buyers are afraid to give honest feedback. So where do you side, with the seller or with the buyer? I've worked in customer service in one form or another for all my life and personally I think protection should lean towards the buyer.

I see your point here, and there is something to be said for encouraging a system where buyers aren't afraid to leave feedback. It's always so annoying to see someone that sells a bunch of fakes but has 100% positive feedback - maybe some of their buyers didn't know the difference, but I'm sure there are people that returned the item, etc., and don't leave feedback for fear of getting a negative in return.

On the other hand, negative feedback for buyers isn't nearly as damaging as it is for sellers. If you have enough negative feedback as a seller, you're going to have a hard time getting your stuff sold, while buyers will still be able to buy things. (Obviously if someone does a lot of buying and selling with the same account, then the negative for buyers play more of a role).