Changes to feedback policies on eBay

With buyers only being allowed to receive positive feedbacks, they'll be a lot faster to leave a negative (deserved or underserved) without fear of retaliation. That's absolutely ridiculous and completely unfair. If they pay the day before an unpaid item dispute is closed (like 13 days after the auction ended), they can leave negative but the seller can't leave one back and say "TOOK FOREVER TO PAY"? Problem buyers will think "The seller can't do anything to me anyway." What is ebay smoking?

With buyers only being allowed to receive positive feedbacks, they'll be a lot faster to leave a negative (deserved or underserved) without fear of retaliation. That's absolutely ridiculous and completely unfair. If they pay the day before an unpaid item dispute is closed (like 13 days after the auction ended), they can leave negative but the seller can't leave one back and say "TOOK FOREVER TO PAY"? Problem buyers will think "The seller can't do anything to me anyway." What is ebay smoking?

IMHO, Buyers should be able to leave negative feedback without fear of retaliation, otherwise the whole feedback system is rather pointless. If buyers are afraid to leave honest feedback, what is the point of the entire system? Though I'm sure there will be buyers out there that take advantage of this (and this is a shame) there are so many sellers out there now that take advantage of the fact that they can hold feedback hostage to see what's left for them, buyers are afraid to give honest feedback. So where do you side, with the seller or with the buyer? I've worked in customer service in one form or another for all my life and personally I think protection should lean towards the buyer.

I know it's not a popular opinion here but that's the way I personally look at it. I've both bought and sold on Ebay.

Linda

What about a system that is blind? You are forced to leave feedback for both buying and selling, but can't view for a certain time frame? Anything would be better than screwing the seller out of two way feedback. I really think that there is going to be chaos if this insane policy is implemented.

I think is unfair, because what about buyers that pay in time and then gives the seller a very hard time. Like a buyer that pays, seller sends the item on time, then the buyer says I don't want the item any longer or buyers that gives a negative because shipping took week (when in reality was the postal service delay) I mean yes they pay but if it's not a smooth transaction why should I give then positive feedback?

I just got the notification & was going to post this too!

I cannot understand this so if you have a really bad buyer you cannot warn others? Buyers can say what they like about a seller & seller cannot retaliate? Personally I never leave negative feedback unless there is a very very good reason but this new rule seems so one sided!
On 2 occasions I had buyers buy for the sole reason of leaving a negative, they did it to loads of other sellers as well (there was a thread here about it, ebay sorted it eventually) but at least we were all able to leave negatives so that people would know it wasn't the sellers fault) so what if something like this happens again? I think this is shocking!!!

Also feedback more than a year not counting does that mean they are going to reduce our seller score? This would be so unfair! I have 848 over 5 years what would buyers think if I suddenly went down to 100 or something? This is very worrying!

It's good that repeat feedback will count my real positives should read 1037 that is 189 from repeat customers that they don't show.
I always said they should show that i mean you have to perform well on all transactions so why rate just the one!

Ok here is the points to my chat session with ebay rep about the whole BUYERS RECEIVING POSITIVE FEEDBACK...
  • Buyers will be held more accountable on the basis of the UPI strike they receive.
  • This step has been taken to improve the Buyer Experience on eBay.
  • So that this encourages open and honest communication between the transacting partners.
  • If the seller has a bad experience with a buyer you can choose to give buyer a strike.
  • The sellers cannot see how many strikes the buyer has however they can block buyers on bidding on their items who have received strikes.
  • The Buyer Requirements tool allows you to have more control over who can bid on your listings. Depending on what you want, from the Preference page of My eBay, you can block members from countries you don't ship to, members who've received two Unpaid Item strikes in the last 30 days, members who don't have a PayPal account, etc.

You know, eBay could easily collect and report data about buyers' payment behaviour, just like a credit report - they could show the buyer's average time to pay, and percentage of transactions paid immediately vs. 2 days, 3 days, etc.

As for the changes... eBay is kind of communication-challenged at the best of times, so it's hard to interpret exactly what some of these things will mean in effect.

You know, eBay could easily collect and report data about buyers' payment behaviour, just like a credit report - they could show the buyer's average time to pay, and percentage of transactions paid immediately vs. 2 days, 3 days, etc.

As for the changes... eBay is kind of communication-challenged at the best of times, so it's hard to interpret exactly what some of these things will mean in effect.

They could certainly do this if every paid via PayPal or other trackable merchants. But not if a buyer pays my a check or a money order.

:tup: I agree with Linda, but at the same time, sellers need to be able to leave negative feedback without retaliation!! I've had non-paying bidders, and just recently, someone filed a SNAD, when it was JUST as described, and I had to take it back, and lose shipping and eBay fees. But I'm not going to leave a negative. WHY??? Because I know I'll just get one back, and I don't want it. I value my feedback and reputation on eBay.

Unfortunately, there are SO many scammers on eBay, that this new rule isn't going to make anything any better. Like others said, it may just make it easier for unhappy buyers (buyer's remorse, etc), more negative happy. Its also opening the market for retaliation to someone you don't like -- easy to bid on something, not pay, and leave a negative.

IMHO, Buyers should be able to leave negative feedback without fear of retaliation, otherwise the whole feedback system is rather pointless. If buyers are afraid to leave honest feedback, what is the point of the entire system? Though I'm sure there will be buyers out there that take advantage of this (and this is a shame) there are so many sellers out there now that take advantage of the fact that they can hold feedback hostage to see what's left for them, buyers are afraid to give honest feedback. So where do you side, with the seller or with the buyer? I've worked in customer service in one form or another for all my life and personally I think protection should lean towards the buyer.

I know it's not a popular opinion here but that's the way I personally look at it. I've both bought and sold on Ebay.

Linda