*Squeel* I found the bag I wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

guccidiva

Feb 10, 2007
So after seeing YSL Vichy handbag on a fellow TPFer, I couldn't get it out of my mind so I went to Nordies in search of it and they told me they don't have it anymore as it was last year.. I was bummed and walked around the mall and walked into a shop and what's looking at me?? YSL Vichy downtown. I grabbed it and pawed it and realized it's not YSL but Miele Bianco and only $70! Well, at that price I had to have it LOL!. It's super soft and squishy and I am happy that I don't have to worry about goat hair falling out of it :yahoo: Anyways, here it is!!

Attachments

• IMGP0750.JPG
    IMGP0750.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 117
I'm sorry, I know you're excited, but I'm not really a fan of knock-offs. And that bag looks nothing like the actual Vichy Downtown to me. But I could be overly sensitive about it since I own an authentic Vichy, too, and really dislike seeing bags like this one on the market.

If I were you, I'd return it to get my $70 back and just go with a different, authentic Downtown (since it seems like you were willing and able to purchase an authentic to start). Just my own opinion, of course.

I'm sorry, I know you're excited, but I'm not really a fan of knock-offs. And that bag looks nothing like the actual Vichy Downtown to me. But I could be overly sensitive about it since I own an authentic Vichy, too, and really dislike seeing bags like this one on the market.

If I were you, I'd return it to get my $70 back and just go with a different, authentic Downtown (since it seems like you were willing and able to purchase an authentic to start). Just my own opinion, of course.

Well, I definitely started out looking for the real bag. It's not my fault that it's not produced anymore. However, I don't really care for a regular downtown, I looked at all of them at Nordies. If I pay that much money for a bag, I want what I want. Since I wasn't able to get it, this is the closest thing I can have. I think it does look pretty much on the spot how the real bag looks and I bought it at a legitimate store, not at some *fake* bag party. The reality of the fashion world is that the design cannot be copyrighted unlike the company's logo, so other companies are free to copy the design provided they don't put a designer's logo on the bag. This bag, of course, doesn't have YSL logo on the bottom. I thought about returning it, however, my feeling is that this design isn't a classic, more of a seasonal "IT" bag, therefore I will definitely get my $70 worth of wear out it and toss is aside when it's not popular. Also, if something happened to it, I would be about $70 unhappy vs. 2K unhappy, you know what I mean?

I felt the same way when I saw that Banana Republic had such a similar bag to my Muse...same color and all =(.

But I also see Guccidiva's point. I suppose it's just personal preference. But maybe this thread maybe belongs somewhere else esp. if it's not a YSL bag?? Just my opinion though...

:tup:
As always, Guccidiva, anything you carry looks great!

OMG, it looks like the check tote! :P

Hope to see it next time I see you!

thank you! Of course I would much rather have the real thing, but it's not to be, so I am just going to enjoy what I can get, too bad YSL didn't make it permanent, that's for sure.

I felt the same way when I saw that Banana Republic had such a similar bag to my Muse...same color and all =(.

But I also see Guccidiva's point. I suppose it's just personal preference. But maybe this thread maybe belongs somewhere else esp. if it's not a YSL bag?? Just my opinion though...

Yep, I agree, after thinking about it, this thread belongs to the general handbag section, I was just so excited and I think it looks so much like the real thing and I know that YSL people would appreciate how close it is unlike the people on the general forum. Besides, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :smile: I don't want to rub it in that I got the bag for less, after all I didn't get the real thing. I was late to a party, what can I say ...

I agree with ysl1983, maybe this should be moved to the general handbags thread since it's not a YSL.

And gr8heart, I'm a little confused because you were the one who previously posted a link to that same bag with anger...

http://forum.purseblog.com/yves-saint-laurent/nine-west-rips-off-ysls-downtown-173194.html

I really don't mean this to sound confrontational, but I just always thought that knock-offs were frowned upon in these parts.

ETA: Cool, I see that we're all in agreement this probably doesn't belong in the YSL forum

Fyi, I reported this thread last night shortly after guccidiva opened it. I'm surprised that the mods haven't closed it--or at least moved it--since it involves a fake YSL bag.

(Personally, I'm not interested in participating in yet another tPF "debate" over "inspired by" bags. :rolleyes:)

gr8heart posted a link to NW bags and they are HIDEOUS. I mean, if you are going to copy something, don't make it so ugly LOL. So I see why she was upset. I saw NW designs too and I think they did a poor job. They actually cheapened the design itself. Unlike with MB brand that at least made it look good. I wouldn't buy a crappy copy, might as well just live w/out it.

Fyi, I reported this thread last night shortly after guccidiva opened it. I'm surprised that the mods haven't closed it--or at least moved it--since it involves a fake YSL bag.

(Personally, I'm not interested in participating in yet another tPF "debate" over "inspired by" bags. :rolleyes:)

How is it fake? Maybe I am missing something

gr8heart posted a link to NW bags and they are HIDEOUS. I mean, if you are going to copy something, don't make it so ugly LOL. So I see why she was upset. I saw NW designs too and I think they did a poor job. They actually cheapened the design itself. Unlike with MB brand that at least made it look good. I wouldn't buy a crappy copy, might as well just live w/out it.

There's actually a picture of your exact bag in that Nine West thread. When I saw yours, I knew I had seen it somewhere on this board before and found it in that thread.

This seems more like a fake than an "inspired" bag because they are purposely trying to replicate a distinctive pattern, just like someone trying to replicate a Burberry plaid even if the bag doesn't specifically say Burberry anywhere. It's not just replicating a general design in that sense, even though I'm not a fan of "inspired" bags, either. I realize without having the Vichy print trademarked that this isn't legally a fake, but for all intents and purposes, that's what it's intended to be. And, really, that's why it was purchased in this case, considering the forum in which we're now discussing it.

There's actually a picture of your exact bag in that Nine West thread. When I saw yours, I knew I had seen it somewhere on this board before and found it in that thread.

This seems more like a fake than an "inspired" bag because they are purposely trying to replicate a distinctive pattern, just like someone trying to replicate a Burberry plaid even if the bag doesn't specifically say Burberry anywhere. It's not just replicating a general design in that sense, even though I'm not a fan of "inspired" bags, either. I realize without having the Vichy print trademarked that this isn't legally a fake, but for all intents and purposes, that's what it's intended to be. And, really, that's why it was purchased in this case, considering the forum in which we're now discussing it.

Oh, I didn't see the check one, she must have posted it after I saw the thread. I hear your point about Burberry though. I don't know, but with Burberry, I can always buy their plaid design w/out worrying that it will be gone, so why buy the *inspired* Burberry?? No reason whatsoever. Also, with Burberry the plaid IS their trademark whereas with YSL, the YSL logo is the trademark. With this style, I just wanted the checked pattern and I frankly don't care who makes it, YSL or Jimmy Choo or Burberry. I had to go with what's available b/c YSL doesn't make this particular pattern anymore. If this pattern was the YSL trademark and, as a result, was available all the time, it wouldn't be an issue, right?

I don't want to sound stuck up but i have the real Vichy Downtown and this bag really does it no justice.. like at all.

Well, yes, for $70, it's not going to be buffalo and goat, you know? On the plus side, I am not responsible for killing a buffalo and a goat and paying $2k for an innocent animal death, how about that? If you were lucky to get the YSL, great, I wasn't. I think this bag does look great. Nowhere in my thread I stated I bought YSL. If someone posted they scored a bag, even a look-alike, after it was gone, I personally would be happy for them. It's frankly sad that everyone here is so negative especially that just about every brand out there is copied. If it's legal to sell a copy, it sure as hell is legal to buy which is the right I exercised. I'd be happy to buy the real thing but just like I can't control the weather, I can't control the fact that it's gone. I don't buy from ebay. Do you see any other options here?

Status
Not open for further replies.