The beauty of MAX MARA coats...(photos please)

Hi! First, congratulations on your new Teddy!
On your trip to Europe, I fly alot and often during the winter months too.
I love love love the Longchamp Expandable tote for airplanes. You can stuff as much or as little as you want inside.

Sometimes, it's just a laptop and some toiletries which I can store under the seat. Other times, I add a big coat and put it in the overhead bin. The bag is very squishy so the bag only gets as big as what you put in it.
It's a great bag, super versatile. The Le Pliage nylon material is tough as nails.

Here is the tote as FYI in case you might find it helpful. As much as I have used this bag, I have never used it unzipped for travel, but it's there if I ever need more space.

Congrats again on your new coat and have a wonderful trip!
Thanks so much for your suggestion! I agree that Longchamp is super practical, but I just want something different than a tote. I've been struggling to find something that I'd like stylistically for that function for a while... Also, I think tote's straps won't work well with the Teddy coat because it's so oversized. So when I saw @fettfleck photo with the Speedy, I really loved the idea of Speedy as a travel bag. If I can figure out the right size that'd work for my needs :happydance: I wish I was near a store, it's so tough to try and figure it out based on the online info!

Reactions: BigAkoya
Purseforum is dangerous!! I always find more items I "need" just browsing here :eek:

Thank you for all these details!! Your Keepall from the LV x YK collab is beautiful and looks great on you! I was wanting to get to the store to see this collab in person, I'm guessing that website photos don't do it justice.

Sorry I'm off track here as this is a Max Mara thread, last question on your Speedy 30... You mentioned it won't fit a laptop. Do you think I can push it in starting vertically and then turn it sideways? The Speedy 30 measurements listed online are 11.8 x 8.3 x 6.7 inches and I was hoping that since the bag is not super structured it could stretch to the sides a little. Maybe I could kind of squeeze it in if I insert it vertically and than turn it on it's side once inside the bag? My laptop is 12.6 x 8.5 for reference. Or is it so sturdy that it won't let that additional stretch happen? Thanks!!
When your laptop is bigger than the Speedy, there is no chance you will get it in… The zip is supersturdy, no give at all… The bag also has no give in the direction of the zipper. I think you would need to size up the Speedy. I can fit my iPad Pro 11“ (9.74″ x 7.02″ x 0.23″) into the Speedy 30 they way you describe it. But it then sits in the middle and it gets difficult to put other things in.
Oh and you definitely should look at the LV x YK collab in person! It is gorgeous. :smile:

Which Teddy did you actually get? I always want to wear it if I have the chance. It was superwarm NYE in Germany, but now another cold wave hit, so Teddy it is!

Last edited:
Reactions: Maria333
When your laptop is bigger than the Speedy, there is no chance you will get it in… The zip is supersturdy, no give at all… The bag also has no give in the direction of the zipper. I think you would need to size up the Speedy. I can fit my iPad Pro 11“ (9.74″ x 7.02″ x 0.23″) into the Speedy 30 they way you describe it. But it then sits in the middle and it gets difficult to put other things in.
Oh and you definitely should look at the LV x YK collab in person! It is gorgeous. :smile:

Which Teddy did you actually get? I always want to wear it if I have the chance. It was superwarm NYE in Germany, but now another cold wave hit, so Teddy it is!
Got it, thank you for your response! I guess I'll have to go with the 35 size or just give up on carrying my laptop in a Speedy, although I really wanted to finally have one bag vs multiple bags that'd serve the function of a travel & rarely laptop bag. Decisions, decisions... :confused1:

I got the icon Teddy in camel color. I love it so much! I wish I could wear it now, but the winter kind of faded away and it's like 47F... I'll definitely take it to Europe in a few weeks.

Reactions: fettfleck
Got it, thank you for your response! I guess I'll have to go with the 35 size or just give up on carrying my laptop in a Speedy, although I really wanted to finally have one bag vs multiple bags that'd serve the function of a travel & rarely laptop bag. Decisions, decisions... :confused1:

I got the icon Teddy in camel color. I love it so much! I wish I could wear it now, but the winter kind of faded away and it's like 47F... I'll definitely take it to Europe in a few weeks.
You are welcome. And I know, I would love a bag I can use for everything. My best compromise is the Wednesday bag by Frrry. Lightweight bag, great leather, handles and strap which fits my laptop, but doesn‘t look huge on me!

When you go on a tour, take some pictures with your Teddy out in the wild and tell us how you like it! But I know you will love it!

• Love
Hi Ladies,

Pls help!
I read through the comments and find those are really helpful! However I am still not sure for my size.
I need a warm coat for dry winter days, I originally like the madame coat, but cannot try my size at store, everything is out of stock.

I am 162 cm height and 55 kg, usually I am IT42 for more loose at top but size IT 40 does fine (a little tight at chest). Which size do you think will fit me? I attached the manuela coat size IT 38 and Madame coat IT34 that I tried at store. Sorry for the amateur photo editting, it took me long time to edit and still seems not perfect :smile:) hope that you still could see the coats on me. I am thinking of both size IT40 for both coats. Also which coats do you think I should choose if I can invest only one this time? I am thinking of navy colour…
Thank you a lot!!!

0A879A38-B5C0-4375-A96A-297F099C7CB5.jpeg

5FF67D07-29B3-4920-9E7F-6535B1C3BCD8.jpeg

74634D94-63F0-48A9-97CA-7BC3BEAE3EFC.jpeg

6E205DE4-6F02-4512-8936-B86661D1B3B4.jpeg

729608E4-99D4-48DB-8795-052929339154.jpeg

B78BED52-5335-4473-BA18-2CE179CCC793.jpeg

03A38253-3ECE-4AAE-A8D6-28EC6E1AA02E.jpeg

EA1731D5-8629-48BD-9E36-89CD9F85EA6D.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,

Pls help!
I read through the comments and find those are really helpful! However I am still not sure for my size.
I need a warm coat for dry winter days, I originally like the madame coat, but cannot try my size at store, everything is out of stock.

I am 162 cm height and 55 kg, usually I am IT42 for more loose at top but size IT 40 does fine (a little tight at chest). Which size do you think will fit me? I attached the manuela coat size IT 38 and Madame coat IT34 that I tried at store. Sorry for the amateur photo editting, it took me long time to edit and still seems not perfect :smile:) hope that you still could see the coats on me. I am thinking of both size IT40 for both coats. Also which coats do you think I should choose if I can invest only one this time? I am thinking of navy colour…
Thank you a lot!!!

View attachment 5706967

View attachment 5706968

View attachment 5706969

View attachment 5706970

View attachment 5706971

View attachment 5706972

View attachment 5706973

View attachment 5706974
I personally like the Madame coat on you. It seems like you are narrow in the shoulders and the Madame coat looks great on you for that reason. And because you are slim and narrow, I think you could get away with lighter colors in Madame. Navy would also look super sharp if you're looking for darker colors. I personally like navy more than black as it's more casual, which I am assuming is your style based on your boots.

Hi, if you are ordering online, I would suggest you buy both sizes to try on and keep the one that fits you the best.
I do that all the time, and I just return the one I do not want. I do it for peace of mind.

On your size, I know many people like to size down so they look like they're not wearing an oversized coat, but oversized is the look. It is not meant to be a fitted look, and I think some people are not used to the slouchy look so they downsize. I think people also size down as buying the "bigger" size can be a mental thing too. Ignore the sizing number; it is just a number. Always go for fit.

For Max Mara, I have found their sizing chart to be true to size for me. I am a US size 2 or 4 which is IT size 36 or 38.
For coats, while I always try on both sizes, I seem to always end up with the larger size, the 38.

The decision in choosing the size for coats is not so much your weight or height. The key to a good fit is your shoulder width as these coats are all about the shoulder.

I am 5' 2", 108lbs, but I have broad shoulders for my height. This is why sometimes I am a size 36 and others a size 38.
For Max Mara, I seem to buy the size 38, the bigger of the two.

One more thing... sizing is just a number. I can tell you are not hung up on buying the "smaller" size given your question.
Some people are hung up on buying a bigger size, and I would say this...
Ignore the numbers. If you are used to buying FR clothing sizes, they are numbered so small. UK numbers seem so big!
For me, I am a US 4, UK 6, FR 36, IT 38, NL 34. It's so crazy if you look at it. It's just a number.

So... ignore any mental anguish of a sizing number. Order them both, put on your thickest sweater, button the coat up, cross your arms back and forth and feel the pull, look at you shoulders, and then decide which you love the most. Look at the fit, and "feel" how it fits, especially when you cross your arms back and forth.

Here is the Max Mara sizing chart which I find to be accurate based on my purchases.
Hope this helps, and congrats on your soon to be new coat!

View attachment 5669789

I could not agree more with this post! Your rationale on sizing is exactly what I say to my friends and family all the time, but if it's very hard to convince them out of a mindset that's been engrained within us all our lives. Buy what fits you and is the more elevated cut on you. ill-fitting clothes can cheapen an otherwise very expensive piece. Use sizing as a rough guide but do not treat labels as gospel because every brand does their own thing, on their own fit model whose proportions are - more than likely - wildly different to the average person's. And when really in doubt... always size up. You won't regret the extra room but you will regret having to adjust yourself. I learned that lesson the hard way.

During lockdown 2020, I had bought the Madame 101801 (in gorgeous camel) in a size UK 8 at the recommendation of a couple of SAs. I had tried it on in store several times and was recommended to go with the UK8 / IT 40 over the UK10 / IT 42 (my "usual" size). Because it's an oversized cut, and I can go in between sizes, the right fit was confusing. The UK 8 looked fine, still a little roomy, arms good, all fine. So I took it. It hung in its dust bag, with tags intact, in my wardrobe for a whole year, untouched, because in my head I was regretful and agonising over the fact that I should have got the UK 10, for the actual "Madame 101801" look. Which is confidently oversized and big on the shoulders. The length should also be long on your body. I'm 5 ' 6 and felt that the UK8 was just a little too short and not "Madame" enough.

To add to my anxiety, I went into a different MaxMara store and tried on the two sizes again, asked the SA what she thought and without hesitation she said the UK 10 to honour the original design and cut. And that it's not meant to look "slim".

So now with my worry over this coat legitimised, I went on a painful MaxMara shop-tour begging for a simple size exchange a year after purchase. They all said "no, no, no", "cannot be done". I went back to, and begged, pleaded (again) with the manager at the MaxMara shop that I had bought it from and thankfully, she was kind enough to put me out of my misery and agreed to the exchange. I know this is rare and an exception and I thank her in my head every time I look at the coat :smile:. So this does have a happy ending, I have my coat, but the whole thing taught me a valuable lesson!

I'm now after the navy colour too and will not think twice about which size to get praise be :smile:

I could not agree more with this post! Your rationale on sizing is exactly what I say to my friends and family all the time, but if it's very hard to convince them out of a mindset that's been engrained within us all our lives. Buy what fits you and is the more elevated cut on you. ill-fitting clothes can cheapen an otherwise very expensive piece. Use sizing as a rough guide but do not treat labels as gospel because every brand does their own thing, on their own fit model whose proportions are - more than likely - wildly different to the average person's. And when really in doubt... always size up. You won't regret the extra room but you will regret having to adjust yourself. I learned that lesson the hard way.

During lockdown 2020, I had bought the Madame 101801 (in gorgeous camel) in a size UK 8 at the recommendation of a couple of SAs. I had tried it on in store several times and was recommended to go with the UK8 / IT 40 over the UK10 / IT 42 (my "usual" size). Because it's an oversized cut, and I can go in between sizes, the right fit was confusing. The UK 8 looked fine, still a little roomy, arms good, all fine. So I took it. It hung in its dust bag, with tags intact, in my wardrobe for a whole year, untouched, because in my head I was regretful and agonising over the fact that I should have got the UK 10, for the actual "Madame 101801" look. Which is confidently oversized and big on the shoulders. The length should also be long on your body. I'm 5 ' 6 and felt that the UK8 was just a little too short and not "Madame" enough.

To add to my anxiety, I went into a different MaxMara store and tried on the two sizes again, asked the SA what she thought and without hesitation she said the UK 10 to honour the original design and cut. And that it's not meant to look "slim".

So now with my worry over this coat legitimised, I went on a painful MaxMara shop-tour begging for a simple size exchange a year after purchase. They all said "no, no, no", "cannot be done". I went back to, and begged, pleaded (again) with the manager at the MaxMara shop that I had bought it from and thankfully, she was kind enough to put me out of my misery and agreed to the exchange. I know this is rare and an exception and I thank her in my head every time I look at the coat :smile:. So this does have a happy ending, I have my coat, but the whole thing taught me a valuable lesson!

I'm now after the navy colour too and will not think twice about which size to get praise be :smile:
Wow what a story! I'm very happy for you that you were able to exchange!! I know the feeling of frustration and regret over a big purchase...
I had a very similar situation with the love bracelet and an SA at a different boutique (not where I got it from) kindly exchanged the size for me past 30 days. After that I purchased a number of other Cartier pieces, but hadn't it beed exchanged I'm sure I'd never have purchased from them again. I think an Above and Beyond customer service is super important with these kinds of prices.

Wow what a story! I'm very happy for you that you were able to exchange!! I know the feeling of frustration and regret over a big purchase...
I had a very similar situation with the love bracelet and an SA at a different boutique (not where I got it from) kindly exchanged the size for me past 30 days. After that I purchased a number of other Cartier pieces, but hadn't it beed exchanged I'm sure I'd never have purchased from them again. I think an Above and Beyond customer service is super important with these kinds of prices.
100% agree! I would have grown very cold towards the MM business had they not fully understood just how deep my regret was and helped me out. And well done, Cartier for applying common sense to an expensive transaction!

Wow! What a great happy ending!

Your gut feel and persistence paid off. I agree with you on that coat… it’s oversized and needs to look that way.

I am so happy for you!
Congratulations on your “new” coat!

• Love
Reactions: Saturday14
Wow! What a great happy ending!

Your gut feel and persistence paid off. I agree with you on that coat… it’s oversized and needs to look that way.

I am so happy for you!
Congratulations on your “new” coat!
Thank you so very much for your sweet words! I'm over the moon! Even though the exchange happened last year I am honestly still so thrilled that I relentlessly pursued the exchange. Yay!

I've seen some YouTubers criminally downsize by TWO coat sizes with the 101801. That to me is like chopping the coat up.
By the way, I love Max Mara for their service. They do cave eventually.

Quick story of mine to share...
I had a Max Mara coat that was over 10 years old. It was one of those special seaonal coats Max Mara does each year.
I wore that coat to death. The lining started to split, and some parts of the bold top pick stitch were coming apart. Aside from that, the camel fabric looked great (Max Mara coats last forever!).

I asked Max Mara if they would re-line the coat and re-do the pick stitching. Of course, they say no, and that it was a very old coat. :biggrin: :heart:

Like you, I begged. I told them I loved that coat, I have other Max Mara coats and clothing, but this is a coat I cannot buy again.
The manager must have felt sorry for me, and she said they will do it this one time, but they cannot do it again. I said great!
I was really happy they did that for me.

On the YouTubers.. yes... exactly! I've seen some people who downsize so much, it now just looks like a regular coat that is one size too big for them. The slouchy, oversized look is lost.

If you can find any love for the white, I would get the white! I love love love white coats in the winter. That color goes with everything, and it is so striking. Very few people wear white winter coats, but when you see one, it just pops and is so elegant.

I'm a Manuela gal, and the minute Manuela comes in white, I will order one.