The beauty of MAX MARA coats...(photos please)

Hi everyone! Is Max Mara Teddy still in? Curious what y'all think! :smile:
I finally decided to purchase one, but not sure if I'm late to the party in 2023... I'm not someone who wears the latest trends, but I like to feel contemporary I guess. I'd hate it to buy Teddy now if it becomes outdated by next winter. I don't think it's gonna be the case, but curious what people who have had this coat for a while think. Do you still enjoy wearing your Teddy or are you tired of it? Do you feel fashionable in it? I guess I'm asking about subjective thoughts/ emotions of current Teddy owners as opposed to overview of fashion trends.

For those who have bought your coats in Paris, how long does it take for them to make alterations? I’m wondering if I should risk not bringing a warm coat because I’m looking forward to wearing a max Mara coat during my trip.

Also, how is the stock looking these days on Manuela and Madam? I’m looking to buy camel or black and I’m guessing I’m a US size 6 or 8.

Thank you.

Reactions: BigAkoya
I went a bit nuts and went from no Max Mara coats to 6 in the span of this quarter. I got the Rialto in camel and Navy (both in US 2), and the Manuela in 4 colors (Navy, black, camel, and beige). Yea….when I like something I go really overboard.

We’ve been having a cold streak in the Bay Area so having these coats have really come in handy / I wear them everyday. While the Manuela has a great “career woman” vibe, I might actually prefer the Rialto for everyday.

Here are the Rialtos:View attachment 5671629View attachment 5671630
These look gorgeous on you! I just discovered MM and am waiting to receive my Rialto, but I worry about the sizing. Are you normally a size 2? Or did you size up/down to get the more relaxed look? I am very petite 4’11” so I have been searching a long time for a coat that won’t overwhelm me but still feels oversized. I ordered 00 but worry that’s going to be too fitted.

For those who have bought your coats in Paris, how long does it take for them to make alterations? I’m wondering if I should risk not bringing a warm coat because I’m looking forward to wearing a max Mara coat during my trip.

Also, how is the stock looking these days on Manuela and Madam? I’m looking to buy camel or black and I’m guessing I’m a US size 6 or 8.

Thank you.
I would bring all the clothes you need for your trip, including a warm coat. From experience, when shopping in Europe (e.g. Paris, London, etc), I find it rare to get the exact items I want, especially clothes where I need an exact size (vs. a bag).

If you are going to Paris to buy the coat to save money, I would suggest ordering the size 6 and 8 now online to decide what size you need. You can then perhaps call ahead and tell them the exact piece you want so they can bring it in from another location.

You may also not need any alterations. I am short, and I did not alter my Manuela sleeves. The sleeves run long on me, but that's the look now... long sleeves that cover the palm partially which I really like. You might like that look also and not need to shorten.

Good luck and have fun in Paris!

• Love
Reactions: HAllDay
These look gorgeous on you! I just discovered MM and am waiting to receive my Rialto, but I worry about the sizing. Are you normally a size 2? Or did you size up/down to get the more relaxed look? I am very petite 4’11” so I have been searching a long time for a coat that won’t overwhelm me but still feels oversized. I ordered 00 but worry that’s going to be too fitted.
I know you did not ask me, but I will provide my thoughts as I am 5' 2", 108lbs, and I also tried on the Rialto.
I love the look of the Rialto, but for me, I did not like the fit on me so I did not buy it.

I buy my coats big enough to wear over chunky sweaters, and I am typically a size 4 in Max Mara. The size 4 was a bit loose on me which was fine, but what I did not like about the coat was the integrated neck of the hood. You can see the Rialto's hood and neck/collar are integrated. This means when the hood hangs back, the collar pulls it back. The hood is not a separate piece where it can flop up and down, with the collar staying still.

Because of the hood/collar being one single piece, the coat felt heavy and bulky around my shoulder to me.

Don't get me wrong... I love the look of the Rialto and especially the hood! I think it's a great look.

Since you are small, be sure as you are trying it on, look also at the fit of the hood/neckline. Move around and see how it feels and looks on you. Wear it open and also tied. It was a lot of fabric to me.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Tktktoe and mery_v
I finally decided to purchase one, but not sure if I'm late to the party in 2023... I'm not someone who wears the latest trends, but I like to feel contemporary I guess. I'd hate it to buy Teddy now if it becomes outdated by next winter. I don't think it's gonna be the case, but curious what people who have had this coat for a while think. Do you still enjoy wearing your Teddy or are you tired of it? Do you feel fashionable in it? I guess I'm asking about subjective thoughts/ emotions of current Teddy owners as opposed to overview of fashion trends.
I still love mine, not for being in fashion, but it is just a great coat, if you feel like it suits your style. I love that it is superlight and superwarm! Only downside is that it gets difficult wearing shoulder bags because of all that oversized material.

I wore it today, sorry looks a bit crumpled, but I did not pay attention to how it sits…

2B2457DF-A1F9-4343-833D-D06ECEF96EF6.jpeg

I just purchased a Teddy and love it. I feel so glamorous when I wear it, even if I am wearing leggings beneath it. I wondered the same before purchasing but believe the cut of the Teddy is so different from all the copies which are a lot more “trendy”. The Teddy is very unique in its design.

Anyway, I look for reasons to leave the house just to wear it. Hope this helps your decision.

• Love
Reactions: mery_v and Maria333
I still love mine, not for being in fashion, but it is just a great coat, if you feel like it suits your style. I love that it is superlight and superwarm! Only downside is that it gets difficult wearing shoulder bags because of all that oversized material.

I wore it today, sorry looks a bit crumpled, but I did not pay attention to how it sits…

View attachment 5698240
Thank you for posting! I love this look, so chic :loveeyes:
I decided that Teddy suits my style and pulled the trigger! I wore mine today and loved the feel of it, so warm and soft yet lightweight. Looking forward to wearing it more! Do you take yours with you when you travel? I'm going to Europe soon and not sure if it's a good idea to bring Teddy with me. On the one hand it's warm and lightweight, on the other hand it's really bulky, it'd fill half of my suitcase and I need to pack a lot for city and ski... The only option is to fly in it, but it's so big, I'll probably have to put it in the overhead bin.

Reactions: fettfleck
I just purchased a Teddy and love it. I feel so glamorous when I wear it, even if I am wearing leggings beneath it. I wondered the same before purchasing but believe the cut of the Teddy is so different from all the copies which are a lot more “trendy”. The Teddy is very unique in its design.

Anyway, I look for reasons to leave the house just to wear it. Hope this helps your decision.
Thank you for sharing! I just bought one too! I wore mine today with jeans and sneakers and felt so glamorous just as you said :biggrin:

Reactions: mery_v and Cannes
I decided that Teddy suits my style and pulled the trigger! I wore mine today and loved the feel of it, so warm and soft yet lightweight. Looking forward to wearing it more! Do you take yours with you when you travel? I'm going to Europe soon and not sure if it's a good idea to bring Teddy with me. On the one hand it's warm and lightweight, on the other hand it's really bulky, it'd fill half of my suitcase and I need to pack a lot for city and ski... The only option is to fly in it, but it's so big, I'll probably have to put it in the overhead bin.
I have taken it several times when we went by car, haven‘t taken it on a flight yet, as I haven‘t been flying the past 3 years in during cold season. I live taking it with me on cold holidays because it is so comfy and lightweight as compared to my other thicker winter coats!

I would take it on a flight, but then, same as traveling by train or car, I would actually wear it. I guess that thing would fill half a suitcase otherwise…
In the airplane, I would probably just sit in it and use it like a soft cocoon (that’s what I do in the car). But I like sitting in soft things. If it bothers me, I would just put it in the overhead bin. If you are worried about dirt, you could put it in a dustbag or large plastic bag. ESPECIALLY if I would go skiing, I would take it. Imaging sitting in it outside, being warm and watching the mountains! Perfect coat for that!

But if you wear it as the travel coat, you have to choose your bag wisely. I can use shoulder bags/tote bags with the coat, bit because of the eggshape and the volume, the arms material will squash up unter the straps or the straps will just slip more often.
I find crossover bags better for this coat, but the strap needs to belong enough.

I would however still take it with me and just consider my bag choices for that trip. Hope that helps!

Reactions: mery_v and Maria333
I have taken it several times when we went by car, haven‘t taken it on a flight yet, as I haven‘t been flying the past 3 years in during cold season. I live taking it with me on cold holidays because it is so comfy and lightweight as compared to my other thicker winter coats!

I would take it on a flight, but then, same as traveling by train or car, I would actually wear it. I guess that thing would fill half a suitcase otherwise…
In the airplane, I would probably just sit in it and use it like a soft cocoon (that’s what I do in the car). But I like sitting in soft things. If it bothers me, I would just put it in the overhead bin. If you are worried about dirt, you could put it in a dustbag or large plastic bag. ESPECIALLY if I would go skiing, I would take it. Imaging sitting in it outside, being warm and watching the mountains! Perfect coat for that!

But if you wear it as the travel coat, you have to choose your bag wisely. I can use shoulder bags/tote bags with the coat, bit because of the eggshape and the volume, the arms material will squash up unter the straps or the straps will just slip more often.
I find crossover bags better for this coat, but the strap needs to belong enough.

I would however still take it with me and just consider my bag choices for that trip. Hope that helps!
Makes sense! I think I'll take it with me, you made me really envision "sitting in it outside, being warm and watching the mountains!" :blush:
Also, after seeing your photo with Speedy bag, I think I need one too! It'd be perfect for travel it looks like it's comfortably fitting over the Teddy coat. What size is yours? I'm not sure if I need 30 or 35 for my essentials and I want to be able to fit a laptop occasionally. I know Speedy is not great for a laptop and I don't plan to regularly use it as a laptop bag, I just want to be able to fit it if I have to, like maybe once a year.

:biggrin:Makes sense! I think I'll take it with me, you made me really envision "sitting in it outside, being warm and watching the mountains!" :blush:
Also, after seeing your photo with Speedy bag, I think I need one too! It'd be perfect for travel it looks like it's comfortably fitting over the Teddy coat. What size is yours? I'm not sure if I need 30 or 35 for my essentials and I want to be able to fit a laptop occasionally. I know Speedy is not great for a laptop and I don't plan to regularly use it as a laptop bag, I just want to be able to fit it if I have to, like maybe once a year.
Haha, purseforum is dangerous, isn‘t it? :biggrin:

This is actually a Keepall 25 from the LV x YK collection (I am only 5“2‘, so I guess the Keepall 25, which is smaller than the Speedy 25, still looks pretty big on me…). It is rather small for my usual liking, but fits an umbrella, which is my minimum fit for a usable bag for me.
I have a Speedy B 30, which fit quite some things, but definetely won‘t fit an laptop (and mine is only 11 inch). It can fit an iPad Pro, though. The strap is adjustable, so I adjust it to fit with the coat, same with the Keepall 25.

I am not sure if a laptop fits into a Speedy 35. I don’t have one. But I would check the measurements on the LV webpage. I was also thinking about a 35 or not sure if there is a 40.
I have a Keepall 45, which fits a ton, but is huge on me. That one definetely fits like everything and is a great cabin bag for flights. But only with the strap. Without strap it will be very painful to carry…

And YES, imaging sipping on a Spritz in the sun on the mountains in that luscious coat! :cool: When you do that, definitely take a picture!

Reactions: Maria333
Hi! First, congratulations on your new Teddy!
On your trip to Europe, I fly alot and often during the winter months too.
I love love love the Longchamp Expandable tote for airplanes. You can stuff as much or as little as you want inside.

Sometimes, it's just a laptop and some toiletries which I can store under the seat. Other times, I add a big coat and put it in the overhead bin. The bag is very squishy so the bag only gets as big as what you put in it.
It's a great bag, super versatile. The Le Pliage nylon material is tough as nails.

Here is the tote as FYI in case you might find it helpful. As much as I have used this bag, I have never used it unzipped for travel, but it's there if I ever need more space.

Congrats again on your new coat and have a wonderful trip!

Reactions: Maria333
Haha, purseforum is dangerous, isn‘t it? :biggrin:

This is actually a Keepall 25 from the LV x YK collection (I am only 5“2‘, so I guess the Keepall 25, which is smaller than the Speedy 25, still looks pretty big on me…). It is rather small for my usual liking, but fits an umbrella, which is my minimum fit for a usable bag for me.
I have a Speedy B 30, which fit quite some things, but definetely won‘t fit an laptop (and mine is only 11 inch). It can fit an iPad Pro, though. The strap is adjustable, so I adjust it to fit with the coat, same with the Keepall 25.

I am not sure if a laptop fits into a Speedy 35. I don’t have one. But I would check the measurements on the LV webpage. I was also thinking about a 35 or not sure if there is a 40.
I have a Keepall 45, which fits a ton, but is huge on me. That one definetely fits like everything and is a great cabin bag for flights. But only with the strap. Without strap it will be very painful to carry…

And YES, imaging sipping on a Spritz in the sun on the mountains in that luscious coat! :cool: When you do that, definitely take a picture!
Purseforum is dangerous!! I always find more items I "need" just browsing here :eek:

Thank you for all these details!! Your Keepall from the LV x YK collab is beautiful and looks great on you! I was wanting to get to the store to see this collab in person, I'm guessing that website photos don't do it justice.

Sorry I'm off track here as this is a Max Mara thread, last question on your Speedy 30... You mentioned it won't fit a laptop. Do you think I can push it in starting vertically and then turn it sideways? The Speedy 30 measurements listed online are 11.8 x 8.3 x 6.7 inches and I was hoping that since the bag is not super structured it could stretch to the sides a little. Maybe I could kind of squeeze it in if I insert it vertically and than turn it on it's side once inside the bag? My laptop is 12.6 x 8.5 for reference. Or is it so sturdy that it won't let that additional stretch happen? Thanks!!