The beauty of MAX MARA coats...(photos please)

By the way, I love Max Mara for their service. They do cave eventually.

Quick story of mine to share...
I had a Max Mara coat that was over 10 years old. It was one of those special seaonal coats Max Mara does each year.
I wore that coat to death. The lining started to split, and some parts of the bold top pick stitch were coming apart. Aside from that, the camel fabric looked great (Max Mara coats last forever!).

I asked Max Mara if they would re-line the coat and re-do the pick stitching. Of course, they say no, and that it was a very old coat. :biggrin: :heart:

Like you, I begged. I told them I loved that coat, I have other Max Mara coats and clothing, but this is a coat I cannot buy again.
The manager must have felt sorry for me, and she said they will do it this one time, but they cannot do it again. I said great!
I was really happy they did that for me.

On the YouTubers.. yes... exactly! I've seen some people who downsize so much, it now just looks like a regular coat that is one size too big for them. The slouchy, oversized look is lost.

If you can find any love for the white, I would get the white! I love love love white coats in the winter. That color goes with everything, and it is so striking. Very few people wear white winter coats, but when you see one, it just pops and is so elegant.

I'm a Manuela gal, and the minute Manuela comes in white, I will order one.
Love that story. Well done you. It's so amazing that you were able to have to have it re-lined and I bet it feels like a brans new coat! I'm sure managers can always sense when a client is being 100% sincere and want the fix or exchange purely for themselves and their real lives and not for resale hope.

I hadn't ever considered the white Madame but I've just had a good look at it online and... I want it! Perhaps I even now NEED it?! You've described it perfectly. It's a stand-put piece. It is a curb-to-car coat though it's so precious. I wouldn't really travel on the subway / tube wearing it. I also really need the navy. Oh dear.

Reactions: BigAkoya
Love that story. Well done you. It's so amazing that you were able to have to have it re-lined and I bet it feels like a brans new coat! I'm sure managers can always sense when a client is being 100% sincere and want the fix or exchange purely for themselves and their real lives and not for resale hope.

I hadn't ever considered the white Madame but I've just had a good look at it online and... I want it! Perhaps I even now NEED it?! You've described it perfectly. It's a stand-put piece. It is a curb-to-car coat though it's so precious. I wouldn't really travel on the subway / tube wearing it. I also really need the navy. Oh dear.
Yes you do, you NEED it! :biggrin: :heart:
Max Mara should really have called it Winter White, Snow, or Ivory. It sounds much more pleasing, and less scary, than just "White!"

I love Winter White in the fall/winter (love winter white/ivory jeans with a dark top).
Winter White is easy to wear. After you wear the coat out 2-3 times and nothing bad has happened to it, you will have no fear and also because it is now a "old coat."

Speaking of Winter White jeans, I love these:

I love them so much, I bought two pairs. I kept one the original hem, and I cropped the second to have a clean hem. Just FYI in case you are interested in Winter White/ivory jeans. In the spring, I'll wear them with my striped Breton tees! :biggrin: :heart:

Yes you do, you NEED it! :biggrin: :heart:
Max Mara should really have called it Winter White, Snow, or Ivory. It sounds much more pleasing, and less scary, than just "White!"

I love Winter White in the fall/winter (love winter white/ivory jeans with a dark top).
Winter White is easy to wear. After you wear the coat out 2-3 times and nothing bad has happened to it, you will have no fear and also because it is now a "old coat."

Speaking of Winter White jeans, I love these:

I love them so much, I bought two pairs. I kept one the original hem, and I cropped the second to have a clean hem. Just FYI in case you are interested in Winter White/ivory jeans. In the spring, I'll wear them with my striped Breton tees! :biggrin: :heart:
LOVE a white jean! It really does look very chic in the winter season. Especially paired with a cropped navy pea coat (I have one from Phoebe-era Celine and have always had it in my head that I need a white jean to complete The Look! I've gone OT. Sorry! I am very interested indeed!

• Love
I know you did not ask me, but I will provide my thoughts as I am 5' 2", 108lbs, and I also tried on the Rialto.
I love the look of the Rialto, but for me, I did not like the fit on me so I did not buy it.

I buy my coats big enough to wear over chunky sweaters, and I am typically a size 4 in Max Mara. The size 4 was a bit loose on me which was fine, but what I did not like about the coat was the integrated neck of the hood. You can see the Rialto's hood and neck/collar are integrated. This means when the hood hangs back, the collar pulls it back. The hood is not a separate piece where it can flop up and down, with the collar staying still.

Because of the hood/collar being one single piece, the coat felt heavy and bulky around my shoulder to me.

Don't get me wrong... I love the look of the Rialto and especially the hood! I think it's a great look.

Since you are small, be sure as you are trying it on, look also at the fit of the hood/neckline. Move around and see how it feels and looks on you. Wear it open and also tied. It was a lot of fabric to me.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for this @BigAkoya!! I was mistaken, it was the Priamo I got and not the Rialto! I got the smallest size (34) and I absolutely love it. It is exactly as oversized and flowy as I had hoped, while it looks more tailored on the models! I agree actually the Rialto would have been too bulky on me

Well I have a bit of a Manuela addiction, and I finally tried to take photos of the whole family today. I couldn't fit them all in one photo.
  1. Manuela navy in 0 / JP 34 - this one I actually purchased preloved, and it definitely shows the most signs of wear of all of them. The camel hair is a bit fluffed up / not as smooth or soft as the other coats, especially on the areas that usually show wear (sleeves, lapels, on the back of the collar where it touches my neck, etc). However because it's pre-loved I don't feel I have to be "precious" with it and actually wear it the most, especially to places where I know it might get dirty. It's so dark it looks black, unless you put it against something actually black, then it looks a bit faded
  2. Manuela dark green in 0 / JP 34, from FW2018 - this might be one of my favorites, a forest green color - goes great with an all-black outfit or to insert a muted pop of color into a neutrals wardrobe
  3. Manuela camel in 2 / JP 36
  4. Manuela beige in 2 / JP 36
  5. Manuela black in 2 / JP 36
I noticed the darker color Manuelas pick up dust a lot easier than the other colors. The size difference between 0 and 2 is really minimal, but I actually might prefer the 2 on me as it looks better slightly over-sized. A generous / roomy fit just looks more chic in my opinion, although the 0 fits just fine too.
I have no idea what I am going to do with all of them. I've worn on green, navy, and black, but haven't even taken out the camel or beige yet. I need to move somewhere with perpetual winter to get my money's worth out of these!

Manuelas10.JPG

Manuelas9.JPG

Manuelas8.JPG

Manuelas7.JPG

Manuelas6.JPG

Manuelas5.JPG

Manuelas4.JPG

Manuelas3.JPG

Manuelas2.JPG

Manuelas1.JPG

I’d love some honest opinions about this teddy coat. It is meant to be oversized but does it look too large/ridiculous/unflattering on me? I am 5 ‘4. It’s so warm and cozy. Everyone at the store says it looks great but I can’t help to think they’re biased. My sister and two friends told me to pass. For anyone who has the teddy coat, do you wear it often or is it cumbersome to wear because of all the extra fabric? This is a size small. I can’t do a size XS because it is too short on the sleeves. Thank you. 3BB0E305-1777-477D-A9F0-4FB722B0112D.jpeg3DB3BFFC-5411-46D4-B014-E40F04EE03AB.jpeg

Reactions: Maria333
How have you been liking your teddy? How tall are you? I am short at 5’4 and am afraid I will look bulky like a giant walking teddy bear haha.

I've been loving my Teddy and used it more than I thought I'd use it. It's literally my go to coat now. Usually I just stick to my warm Moncler coat when it's cold, but since I got Teddy I barely took out my Moncler. I'm also 5'4 and I didn't think this height was considered short :no: lol. But I understand it's a matter of self perception, years ago I used to wear hills all the time wanting to look taller, but I'm super comfortable wearing flats now. I actually love paring Teddy with casual sneakers and obviously the overall look is bulky, but I don't think it's "fat" bulky, it's cozy-bulky, like being wrapped in a blanket and that's the style as I feel it. I'm not worried that people will look at me and think that I'm huge, I think it's pretty obvious that the coat is oversized. I saw your post earlier about your friends telling you to pass and I think that it's a really expensive coat to purchase if you feel unsure about it. You need to feel in tune with this bulky blanket-like style. I think it looks beautiful on you, but it's you who's going to wear it and you really need to know that you'll enjoy it, otherwise what's the point to spend to so much money. Maybe try to imagine as if you already had it, would you want to wear it today? How would you feel? Would you wear it on a date? Would you feel embarrassed or chic? Good luck deciding!

I’d love some honest opinions about this teddy coat. It is meant to be oversized but does it look too large/ridiculous/unflattering on me? I am 5 ‘4. It’s so warm and cozy. Everyone at the store says it looks great but I can’t help to think they’re biased. My sister and two friends told me to pass. For anyone who has the teddy coat, do you wear it often or is it cumbersome to wear because of all the extra fabric? This is a size small. I can’t do a size XS because it is too short on the sleeves. Thank you.

It’s really too bad the XS won’t work because I do think the S is just too overwhelming on you. I know these coats are oversized, but i wish they’d make a scaled down version for petite people. I’m hoping to get one next year when I go to Italy, but who knows if I’ll even like it when I try it on because I’m only 5’3”.

Well I have a bit of a Manuela addiction, and I finally tried to take photos of the whole family today. I couldn't fit them all in one photo.
  1. Manuela navy in 0 / JP 34 - this one I actually purchased preloved, and it definitely shows the most signs of wear of all of them. The camel hair is a bit fluffed up / not as smooth or soft as the other coats, especially on the areas that usually show wear (sleeves, lapels, on the back of the collar where it touches my neck, etc). However because it's pre-loved I don't feel I have to be "precious" with it and actually wear it the most, especially to places where I know it might get dirty. It's so dark it looks black, unless you put it against something actually black, then it looks a bit faded
  2. Manuela dark green in 0 / JP 34, from FW2018 - this might be one of my favorites, a forest green color - goes great with an all-black outfit or to insert a muted pop of color into a neutrals wardrobe
  3. Manuela camel in 2 / JP 36
  4. Manuela beige in 2 / JP 36
  5. Manuela black in 2 / JP 36
I noticed the darker color Manuelas pick up dust a lot easier than the other colors. The size difference between 0 and 2 is really minimal, but I actually might prefer the 2 on me as it looks better slightly over-sized. A generous / roomy fit just looks more chic in my opinion, although the 0 fits just fine too.
I have no idea what I am going to do with all of them. I've worn on green, navy, and black, but haven't even taken out the camel or beige yet. I need to move somewhere with perpetual winter to get my money's worth out of these!

View attachment 5718144

View attachment 5718145

View attachment 5718146

View attachment 5718147

View attachment 5718148

View attachment 5718149

View attachment 5718150

View attachment 5718151

View attachment 5718152

View attachment 5718153
Your Manuelas are beautiful! I am with you on the larger size. I fit both a 2 and 4, but I always buy the 4.

I think you need a red one to add to your lovelybcollection!

Reactions: cecchetti
I’d love some honest opinions about this teddy coat. It is meant to be oversized but does it look too large/ridiculous/unflattering on me? I am 5 ‘4. It’s so warm and cozy. Everyone at the store says it looks great but I can’t help to think they’re biased. My sister and two friends told me to pass. For anyone who has the teddy coat, do you wear it often or is it cumbersome to wear because of all the extra fabric? This is a size small. I can’t do a size XS because it is too short on the sleeves. Thank you. View attachment 5718251View attachment 5718252
Hi! My honest opinion is the Teddy is not for you. Your height is fine, but you have a small frame and shoulders so the “oversized” look is lost. It now just looks sloppy in my opinion.

I think this coat is super cute, and I also tried it on. I am 5’ 2”, and I also have a small frame. The XS looked ridiculous on me. It did not look chic nor fashionable at all on me, just sloppy. Hence, I passed.

Unless you must have this coat, I would personally pass. If you don’t love it and don’t feel chic wearing it now, buying it will not change that feeling, and it will just sit in your closet which is a waste.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps in your decision. Good luck!

Reactions: Aletheia and ehy210
I've been loving my Teddy and used it more than I thought I'd use it. It's literally my go to coat now. Usually I just stick to my warm Moncler coat when it's cold, but since I got Teddy I barely took out my Moncler. I'm also 5'4 and I didn't think this height was considered short :no: lol. But I understand it's a matter of self perception, years ago I used to wear hills all the time wanting to look taller, but I'm super comfortable wearing flats now. I actually love paring Teddy with casual sneakers and obviously the overall look is bulky, but I don't think it's "fat" bulky, it's cozy-bulky, like being wrapped in a blanket and that's the style as I feel it. I'm not worried that people will look at me and think that I'm huge, I think it's pretty obvious that the coat is oversized. I saw your post earlier about your friends telling you to pass and I think that it's a really expensive coat to purchase if you feel unsure about it. You need to feel in tune with this bulky blanket-like style. I think it looks beautiful on you, but it's you who's going to wear it and you really need to know that you'll enjoy it, otherwise what's the point to spend to so much money. Maybe try to imagine as if you already had it, would you want to wear it today? How would you feel? Would you wear it on a date? Would you feel embarrassed or chic? Good luck deciding!

Yes I think I will pass as it does not look flattering on me. It makes me feel chic to a degree but also makes me feel ridiculous.
It’s really too bad the XS won’t work because I do think the S is just too overwhelming on you. I know these coats are oversized, but i wish they’d make a scaled down version for petite people. I’m hoping to get one next year when I go to Italy, but who knows if I’ll even like it when I try it on because I’m only 5’3”.

I wish they made a scaled down version too. It’s a beautiful coat and I wish it worked for me. Maybe one day they will release it but I doubt it.
Hi! My honest opinion is the Teddy is not for you. Your height is fine, but you have a small frame and shoulders so the “oversized” look is lost. It now just looks sloppy in my opinion.

I think this coat is super cute, and I also tried it on. I am 5’ 2”, and I also have a small frame. The XS looked ridiculous on me. It did not look chic nor fashionable at all on me, just sloppy. Hence, I passed.

Unless you must have this coat, I would personally pass. If you don’t love it and don’t feel chic wearing it now, buying it will not change that feeling, and it will just sit in your closet which is a waste.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps in your decision. Good luck!
Thanks for your honesty! I guess I’m saving $4k! Yes, it is a lot of extra fabric. I wish they’d make a petite version so I don’t look like I’m walking around with a blanket wrapped around me. I wish it worked because it was just so warm and cozy!