Scarves Scarf of The Day 2023- Which Hermès scarf are you wearing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been eyeing the current reissue, thanks so much for posting the historical background! Love to see the original illustrations. I find this scarf super cute - a glimpse of times gone by.

And talk about differences in printing! The reissue looks so flat, though I think 70 is a great format for this fabulous design.
Yes, the glimpse of the “forgotten years” - the roaring 20-s with the heritage of modernistic French art - Impressionism, the Fauves, Belle Époque, Art Nouveau and Art Deco… and the new sounds of cars, boats, airplanes and jazz!
Jose Zinoview with many other original French artists (Paul Poiret being among them also) contributed to the popular fashion magazine La Gazette du Bon Ton:
7391A9C7-9989-4376-8B2F-9E8D70D4D3AC.jpeg30EE9F25-6E1E-4688-A888-012123DE08B7.jpeg481B0A96-95CD-4051-8BF1-82EF202C2E8B.jpeg

Thank you for sharing your marvelous Brides collection, LKB. You look amazing in all of the variations, especially the new Daiske Nomura. A great way to close out the week, indeed.
Thank you so much @Redbirdhermes-- and I have to say that your posts this week have been so wonderful and inspiring-- especially 24 Faubourg! So much fun and inspiration and information presented along with your wonderful silks...
I've been looking forward to seeing how you wear your Brides et Destin, it looks fantastic as a top on you! Love your other scarves and your little model too. :flowers:
Thank you @mktlim! I have only worn it with the blue sweater in the collage above. A half-bib knot really shows the center, which I love too. It is coming to New Orleans with me in a week for Mardi Gras so I played with a few options, besides the halter tie. Voilà!
BeD 2.jpgBrides et Destin 3.jpgBrides et Destin 4.jpg
So, the marble one is there... Lucky you !
Brides et destins looks wonderful. I'm also a bit curious about your cw for En finesse. Splendid selection !
Thank you @Coco2606-- it is cw02. Here's the thumbnail:
Brides de Gala en Finesse (02).jpeg
Versatile and striking reissues! Your styling of each of the scarves is superb!
Your little model is a natural! The best colours on her!
I love your Brides et Destine and how you wear it. You are so right in saying that it looks classic and contemporary. With the black background emphasising the subtleties of blue and yellow, and the diversity of details it’s simply amazing!
Thank you! And coming from you @Stylehound, I am flattered by the compliment. I have not shown Brides et Destin's incredible "orange cuit" border. I am not comfortable with all the oranges H presents us with but found this lovely burnt orange color to be both eye-catching and toned down at once, if possible.
Aren't we lucky that Emile was such a magpie? So many scarf designs take inspiration from the eclectic collex in the H musee.
View attachment 5697026View attachment 5697027View attachment 5697028View attachment 5697029
This "magpie" comment made me :lol: @xincinsin and I think besides these wonderful examples, many of us succumbed to Objets de Curiosite with so many objets that the magpie collected strewn all over the office floor! The "Catalogue" scarf is amazing...

Last edited:
Yes, the glimpse of the “forgotten years” - the roaring 20-s with the heritage of modernistic French art - Impressionism, the Fauves, Belle Époque, Art Nouveau and Art Deco… and the new sounds of cars, boats, airplanes and jazz!
Jose Zinoview with many other original French artists (Paul Poiret being among them also) contributed to the popular fashion magazine La Gazette du Bon Ton:
View attachment 5697047View attachment 5697048View attachment 5697049
@Stylehound, I love costume dramas of this period (as well as the art and literature) and love seeing these illustrations. Did you ever see a series on GBH called The House of Eliot about two sisters who daringly open their own couture house and take on conventional modes of fashion of the time? I loved it -- would love to rewatch and rediscover...

Aren't we lucky that Emile was such a magpie? So many scarf designs take inspiration from the eclectic collex in the H musee.
What a fab collection @xincinsin. I hope you're feeling better and recovering well. Thank you for taking time to share these with us and for kicking off this week of learning more history. I'm discovering all sorts of new things, such as that wonderfully fun rocking horse silk! What a joy! I've not heard that expression 'such a magpie'.. assuming it means something like resourceful?

And @LKBNOLA your BdG collex is wow! I loved reading about the meaning behind your Daiske. I know I was moved by that when I saw the release and it's so nice to revisit it here.

Sharing my own BdDestin.

BridesDestin-2.JPG

What a fab collection @xincinsin. I hope you're feeling better and recovering well. Thank you for taking time to share these with us and for kicking off this week of learning more history. I'm discovering all sorts of new things, such as that wonderfully fun rocking horse silk! What a joy! I've not heard that expression 'such a magpie'.. assuming it means something like resourceful?

And @LKBNOLA your BdG collex is wow! I loved reading about the meaning behind your Daiske. I know I was moved by that when I saw the release and it's so nice to revisit it here.

Sharing my own BdDestin.

View attachment 5697085
Magpies are birds with a reputation for filching shiny things. So if someone calls you a magpie, it means you are a voracious and omnivorous collector of all manner of things. I confess to being a magpie :blush: I collect pretty things :lol:

Thank you, @xincinsin, for hosting this week, and I trust you are on the mend. Earlier this week we saw a number of gorgeous peony scarves, but I don't think we saw this colorway of A l'ombre des Pivoines.

20230121_094502.jpg

While the beautiful drawings of the buildings are buried in the blue background color, the dramatic blossoms dominate this scarf. I especially love the huge red blossom.

Introducing my NWT A l'ombre des Pivoines as my scarf of the day.

20230121_094801.jpg

Thank you, @xincinsin, for hosting this week, and I trust you are on the mend. Earlier this week we saw a number of gorgeous peony scarves, but I don't think we saw this colorway of A l'ombre des Pivoines.

View attachment 5697110

While the beautiful drawings of the buildings are buried in the blue background color, the dramatic blossoms dominate this scarf. I especially love the huge red blossom.

View attachment 5697114
Don't think I've ever seen this modeled, love that gorgeous royal blue color! I'm your sister, I have the orange/pink CW that Croisette showed off a few pages back. A wonderful design :heart:

View attachment 5697110

View attachment 5697114
This one is gorgeous, and giving me strong vibes of this season's Retour a la Nature by Théo de Gueltzl and Octave Marsal.

I love Astrologie. I didn't go for the Astrologie Sunrise mousseline because I don't like the 140 size, but whenever H next reissues Astrologie in another format I will get it... I still covet this embroidered version Hermes released a few years back but it's way out of my price range:

View attachment 5696299

View attachment 5696300

View attachment 5696301
This was just a stunner of an exceptional, wasn’t it? Out of my reach too, but I think it’s one of the most beautiful exceptionals I have seen, along with the recent robe Legere…
What looks like the royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom (If anyone here knows better, please let me know if this is correct or not!)
Yes, it looks like the royal coat of arms to me.
The Equateur wash is a reedition. The ACdlV are from 2017.
View attachment 5696470

View attachment 5696471

View attachment 5696472
Gorgeous, all, and I am wanting each of them! The equateur is particularly lovely in that sky blue *sigh*

Hellloooo everyone - apologies for my absence!
But I’m back with a beauty!
I’m not sure I’m absolutely on topic - but I’ll try - Les Ailes de Pegase
View attachment 5696547
Perhaps inspired by both da Vinci and Dimitry?
View attachment 5696546

Oh and an archive of Onde de Chic!
View attachment 5696555
A definite nod to Da Vinci’s drawings. The line shading is similar to Etruscan man. So soothing in these coffee tones. It makes me want to snuggle with a book in a library with a roaring fire and a cognac…

May I present to you my first H silk purchase of the year? There’s just something special about the print of the vintage H scarves, the details and shadowing etc. which I feel like I don’t see often in current designs.

View attachment 5696610

View attachment 5696611

View attachment 5696613
you have mastered the friendship knot @hikarupanda!

Astrologie by Francoise Falconnet was first issued in 1963 according to piwigo. Been reissued I don’t know how many times, but there are lots of colorways out there. I still haven’t zeroed in on a cw for me yet of the original. Here for reference.
View attachment 5696683
Here is a new to me NEW version from 2022 called astronomie astrologie in double face with FF and Gianpaolo Pagni. Snowing here so I have the coziest of wraps around me today. It has a pale pink in it, though it isn’t showing as much in photo. So I thought a way to lighten up all my black would be this bright cw. I am wearing it as a neck warmer today, but also like it long so it dampens the black even more.
View attachment 5696668View attachment 5696670
I also have astrologie nouvelle by FF and Cyrille Diatkine from 2012.
View attachment 5696669
And another version, Astrologie Nouvelle Tatouage, from 2018 which I would also like to get.
And as other scarfies have talked about the mousseline Astrologie sunrise recently released. And an amazing maxi twilly and and and and ;)
You do pinks so well @Nomad, but that nouvelle is speaking to me with its purple and turquoise! Congratulations on the new addition!

Cathy Latham’s 1996 Confort en Automobile gave tribute to Jose Zinoview’s illustrations of Catalogue De La Maison Hermes (circa 1925) L’Elegance et Le Confort en Automobile.
View attachment 5696853View attachment 5696854View attachment 5696852View attachment 5696855
Latham’s Art Deco style drawings met post-modern colour game.
My Confort en Automobile in lilic, gold and dark blue (1996):
View attachment 5696858View attachment 5696859View attachment 5696860

The 2023 reissue uses more striking contrasting colours:
View attachment 5696861
Fantastic, @Stylehound! I love the fashion history in your post, but I love uour styling more! You have quintessentially captured everything the design is about, and are beautifully attired for an automobile adventure! Count me in!

I’m very taken by the design, and have been eyeing the reissue too, though 70‘s are not my preferred format. It’s harder to show the design outside of a bib style. Your wonderful styling of the original is making me think I should focus on that instead.

I have been eyeing the current reissue, thanks so much for posting the historical background! Love to see the original illustrations. I find this scarf super cute - a glimpse of times gone by.
Me too! It’s the combination of glamour and adventure that gets me every time.

And talk about differences in printing! The reissue looks so flat, though I think 70 is a great format for this fabulous design.
Isn’t it interesting how a design can be adapted to different formats? And I think you’re right about the printing, though the colour palette and enhanced contrast could be contributing too.
With thanks to @xincinsin and continued wishes for recovery I am going to conclude the week with Brides de Gala. @Coco2606 started off with this design and @Croisette7 just added three to my wish list with her post of yesterday too! I love the symmetry, the iconic nature, the recognizable shapes always present in every iteration. So with the assistance of my small model and helper here are: BdG Finesse, Fleuries, Marble Silk, Perforé, Twilly Bayadere, Cotton Charm 70, Brides et Destin, BdGxColete, and finally BdG Shadow.
View attachment 5697004
Daiske Nomura's design Brides et Destin is the latest "riff" on BdG. It depicts harnesses, and there are three rather than two, but there is no question of the reference to Brides de Gala. Here's the website description:
"Have you heard of Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos? They are the Moirai, three sisters from Greek mythology, three figures of destiny known to the Romans as the Parcae, and in English as the Fates: the Spinner, the Allotter and the Inflexible. They are generally associated with cosmic cycles, as well as with the goddesses of nature and fertility. Daiske Nomura has designed a harmonious composition with contemporary overtones based on harnesses adorned with insignias that he discovered in the Emile Hermès collection. Each equipped with their harness, the three sisters are set for a spiritual and vivacious ride." Of course it is Nomura, of C'est la Fete and Chorus Stellarum fame so this design also has his trademark reference to mortality...
View attachment 5697006
This is a detailed, dramatic and versatile design. I very much like how it seems both contemporary and classic H! My twin @mktlim showed a lovely mod shot of hers this week. Here's mine worn as a top:
View attachment 5697005
You got a brides destin! Congratulations, it looks super on you! I love how you’ve tied it in the collage to feature the centre.

Your beautiful little model is completely stealing the show and I am having trouble looking at the silks! Sending cuddles and belly rubs from us, for the wonderful assist!

@Stylehound, I love costume dramas of this period (as well as the art and literature) and love seeing these illustrations. Did you ever see a series on GBH called The House of Eliot about two sisters who daringly open their own couture house and take on conventional modes of fashion of the time? I loved it -- would love to rewatch and rediscover...
Yes! Wow, I watched that when it was first broadcast. It was a charming series and I loved the period fashions.

The 20’s was such an interesting time for fashion and art. There’s an insouciance that is common to so many of the expressions. The ladies on comfort et automobile remind me of that wonderful De Lempika self portrait in a green Bugatti. It’s been a style reference for me for many years! (goal, I should say, as I don’t have anywhere near this panache!)
313A94E6-98A9-43F9-8C84-00530E909EF0.jpeg

Magpies are birds with a reputation for filching shiny things. So if someone calls you a magpie, it means you are a voracious and omnivorous collector of all manner of things. I confess to being a magpie :blush: I collect pretty things :lol:
hahaha - I was a family of girls and we used to joke that there was a magpie gene that we had inherited from our mother. And grandmothers, on both sides. What chance did we have? ;)

View attachment 5697110

View attachment 5697114
Congratulations. This striking colourway is a great choice for you.

@LKBNOLA and @Nomad have recently undertaken a colorway correction program but I’ve been working on a “condition correction program.” I originally took a chance on a deeply discounted yellow Folies du Ciel with a lot of pulls and stains. I got the stains out but some of the colors ran by the time I was through working on it. I ended up loving the scarf, so when another came up in allegedly excellent condition, I went for it. Happily it’s free of pulls and stains, just soft from wear. I think I’ll keep the other one as well to wear out to eat, etc. without worrying too much about it.

1C584ECE-F865-4BD8-99E1-AA77717E89FD.jpeg

Thank you @ajaxbreaker! Its is a big favorite of mine and I agree it was one of the most successful of the "cut" designs.

It is delightful @lanit and reminds of a trip to Thailand. I don't think I have ever seen the CSPM of this design...

Well it is beyond stunning @ajaxbreaker. Isn't Astrologie being reissued SS2023? You may be in luck!

Thank you @Karenska!

This is a truly fabulous post @Naessi-- really enjoyed reading every word and detail and can never forget the scarf on that pony-- so moving. Congratulations on your wonderful acquisition!

These are all beautiful @Croisette7 and now my BdG wish list has just expanded by a factor of three!

Absolutely beautiful @Coco2606-- cherish it in good health and you must have found the fountain of youth because you don't look like you have aged a bit!

It is just such a stunning flower and the scarves are the silky testament-- so lush and magnificent @Croisette7.

Oh this is such a great find for you @Teaforparrots! Congratulations. I just love this blue with red hem and the birds are as beautiful on every cw-- good luck with the emerald one-- I am sure now you will have many eyes helping you look!

Next summer I am going to go down to the beach in a mariniere and wearing my Rocaille and replicate this lovely scarf on site photo as best I can @Croisette7-- your collection of all these is fantastic.

Congratulations on your beautiful new scarf-- that lovely cw makes it look just like a drawing by the Old Masters. Gorgeous @Cookiefiend.

Well I am a big fan of all your instruments @hermesguy-- my Dad played alto sax and clarinet as well. When I was a child in Venezuela I used to often listen in on rehearsals at a Jazz Club he played in... wonderful memories!

Your new double face is lovely @Nomad-- a very intriguing reworking of the design! I love it tied both ways and your Astrologie Nouvelle is fabulous -- a favorite cw and looks amazing with your top.

Wow! I love your original version so much @Stylehound-- this scarf seems so "you" and perfect with your accessories. Thank you for a great post and fun background information.

Thank you @Maedi-- long distances are bridged more easily now with technology but still... it is an actual ocean :heart:

Ooooh that is such a pretty one @Katharina Luise and so perfect for your coloring. I like the little figures and am looking for ward to wearing President George and First Lady Martha on our President's Day next month!
Thank you so much LKB ... your wishlist is growing!
With thanks to @xincinsin and continued wishes for recovery I am going to conclude the week with Brides de Gala. @Coco2606 started off with this design and @Croisette7 just added three to my wish list with her post of yesterday too! I love the symmetry, the iconic nature, the recognizable shapes always present in every iteration. So with the assistance of my small model and helper here are: BdG Finesse, Fleuries, Marble Silk, Perforé, Twilly Bayadere, Cotton Charm 70, Brides et Destin, BdGxColete, and finally BdG Shadow.
View attachment 5697004
Daiske Nomura's design Brides et Destin is the latest "riff" on BdG. It depicts harnesses, and there are three rather than two, but there is no question of the reference to Brides de Gala. Here's the website description:
"Have you heard of Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos? They are the Moirai, three sisters from Greek mythology, three figures of destiny known to the Romans as the Parcae, and in English as the Fates: the Spinner, the Allotter and the Inflexible. They are generally associated with cosmic cycles, as well as with the goddesses of nature and fertility. Daiske Nomura has designed a harmonious composition with contemporary overtones based on harnesses adorned with insignias that he discovered in the Emile Hermès collection. Each equipped with their harness, the three sisters are set for a spiritual and vivacious ride." Of course it is Nomura, of C'est la Fete and Chorus Stellarum fame so this design also has his trademark reference to mortality...
View attachment 5697006
This is a detailed, dramatic and versatile design. I very much like how it seems both contemporary and classic H! My twin @mktlim showed a lovely mod shot of hers this week. Here's mine worn as a top:
View attachment 5697005
All so fabulous .... and your cutie model!

@LKBNOLA and @Nomad have recently undertaken a colorway correction program but I’ve been working on a “condition correction program.” I originally took a chance on a deeply discounted yellow Folies du Ciel with a lot of pulls and stains. I got the stains out but some of the colors ran by the time I was through working on it. I ended up loving the scarf, so when another came up in allegedly excellent condition, I went for it. Happily it’s free of pulls and stains, just soft from wear. I think I’ll keep the other one as well to wear out to eat, etc. without worrying too much about it.

View attachment 5697189
Congratulations on an excellent program win! And, yes, there is definite a place for a ramen/curry/gravy/sauce/exploding chicken friendly option :roflmfao:

Status
Not open for further replies.