What are some of your unpopular Chanel opinions?

At first I thought the Chanel 22 bag was silly because it's just a drawstring bag, but after a few weeks I appreciate that the bag is meant to be casual, like for gym and grocery shopping. However, it seems like even though the design is casual, the material is more fragile. Has anyone else encountered quality issues with their Chanel 22? How does that make sense? Why make a casual design with material that needs to be babied? Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind Chanel's logic?

Reactions: Swathi
My worst Chanel experience was also at Harrods, so much so I turned down a waitlisted bag and simply refused to purchase it from a rather rude SA. I went in to see and potentially pick up something. The SA gave me 5 mins too look over the item and kept barking at me if I wanted to buy it or not. Needless to say, I left without purchasing.

You mean the place for worst customer service,it’s known for that really…

You mean the place for worst customer service,it’s known for that really…

I heard a few people call it ‘Horrids’ for that reason. Not discounting the severity of the situation ofc. It was extremely unprofessional of that SA.
At first I thought the Chanel 22 bag was silly because it's just a drawstring bag, but after a few weeks I appreciate that the bag is meant to be casual, like for gym and grocery shopping. However, it seems like even though the design is casual, the material is more fragile. Has anyone else encountered quality issues with their Chanel 22? How does that make sense? Why make a casual design with material that needs to be babied? Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind Chanel's logic?

imo (non metallic) lambskin isn’t really fragile, just ages differently. I find scratches/scuffs on lambskin can be easily smoothed over with a gentle massage and ultimately imperceptible. The soft nature of lamb skin and the way it ages (soft and slouchy) probably lends to the everyday casualness of the bag’s purpose and design. just imo

Yeah, this I really don't get. First of all, this absolute windfall of demand for Chanel is 100 percent from social media and people sharing pictures of the handbags. What is the point of stopping free advertising? Secondly, Chanel is making a ridiculous amount of money despite lower quality products and price increases simply because people want the brand image. This brand image is a classy, elegant woman plus Karl Lagerfeld's work, and Chanel has been coasting on this image for years now, making tons of profit. This SA is destroying the golden egg here with their rude behavior. If you can't meet the brand image, what else does Chanel have going for it?

I think it's just a game they're playing to be coy. Artificial demand and artificial scarcity, all for items that are mass produced with quality issues.

Thank you for sharing @poleneinblack, I enjoyed reading your comments.

CHANEL is the no. 1 luxury brand in the world with 51 million instagram followers (LV = 48 million, Hermès 12 million). From a business perspective they are very smart and careful not to follow the foosteps of Michael Kors (product overexposure + market oversaturation = brand devaluation). As the most valuable luxury brand in the world they can really do whatever they want and we as consumers will still buy it (yes, I truly believe this), so I'm in favour of them opening VIP boutiques., cancelling sales and increasing prices.

Incidentally, when Gabrielle Chanel was alive she only did haute couture, so the VIP boutiques are really just CHANEL's way of going back to its roots of serving an elite clientele.

Let's be honest here: the allure of CHANEL is keeping its access very INaccessible. Scarcity marketing cultivates desire. It's a proven psychological phenomenon and that's why Hermès' game works. People want it more when they cannot get it easily.

TL;DR =
CHANEL is not an aspirational brand like Louis Vuitton (lower class, middle class, whatever; anyone can buy as long as they save up). Exclusivity sells.

Completely agree. First, I wanted to cry on behalf of the lovely customer.
Then, I walked away disrespected, defeated and stared at by customers around me.

How you can literally BULLY CUSTOMERS at THIS PRICE POINT is beyond me.

I witnessed 3 SA’s acting like this that day, completely impatient and rude. Acting like they’re doing YOU a favor. This is no coincidence. These are orders coming from the very top - and it’s obvious that SA’s are getting off on their power trip of putting customers “in their place”.

I’m horrified and livid for you! It’s disheartening that you’re a longtime customer & yet their behaviour was despicable. I 100% agree with you about the rudeness via orders from the top. At Chanel Yorkdale (Canada), a male SA was downright rude with me. I was seriously interested in the black mini I was being “shown” but the nonsense spewing from his mouth made me uncomfortable in the pit of my stomach. I wanted to see another bag and he lectured me that he can’t keep letting customers touch all the bags. Like was he serious ?! I was about to buy a bag and he couldn’t show me one more?! The jerk also lied to me that I couldn’t even exchange the bag if I bought it (haven’t bought Chanel in a few years so I half-believed him). His worst offence was condescendingly saying “Rue cambon decides the launch dates; do you know RC?! It’s in Paris.” I’ve been to Paris multiple times so this was the last straw. Finally, he kept saying “don’t buy it” to me just because I had mentioned I was looking for a green mini. Even when I asked him to ring it up he said “don’t buy it.” And you know what ? I didn’t and I did NOT regret it despite wanting the bag. I wasn’t about to drop a chunk of $ after that treatment. I chided myself for almost going through with the purchase.

Happy ending - less than 24 hours later I bought the same exact mini (this SA did not hesitate to let me compare 2 minis) from a different boutique. Not only was the experience lovely , the mini I ended up was flawless unlike the one the jerk SA had “shown” me.

- Almost everything I have bought recently is defective. Scarfs have snags, flap bags are crooked, lambskin bags have deflated quilts in some spots and marks too, one caviar bag has cracks on the bottom, one pearl crush bag has the ball stuck--can't move it whatsoever, twisted chains drive me nuts!!!, inconsistency in strap drop for the same bag style :tdown: even SLGs have flaws.... They need to do something about that because it devalues the brand! Where's quality control?
- They repeat colors too often!! I know they want to sell more but that takes away the uniqueness of the brand. Remember everyone loved grey? They started releasing grey colors in all different styles. And then what? Pink? Light pink? Sakura pink? Dark pink? Here's another 3427 pink bags. And caramel? Now it's more like a permanent color and everyone has at least one item in caramel. So boring. Back then, when they released a shade of pink, it was so limited and once the bags are sold out, that's it. You may never be able to get the same bag anymore and whoever can grab one gets to appreciate the bag more. Now if you don't get one, there will be another one coming out soon. That drives people to sell more than keeping because they can make some profits out of it and get the same bag later just because they can. It's like buying ice cream from Target, if you don't get it now, get it later it's ok.
- Some jewelry items are so ugly. Like why?????? :confused1:
- RTW items are definitely ugly and not worth it. I showed my husband some items and he just shook his head.
- The brand lacks creativity. Every recent design is so trendy and lazy. Here's what's going on at Chanel:
~~ We need to come out with a new dust bag for classics. How about we remove the coco figure and just stamp CHANEL on the dust bag, save on ink? Done!
~~ The boy bag has lost its popularity and it has so many flaws in design. How about we make it more inconvenient by reducing capacity (I mean cutting the corners) and make it round so people can't fit anything in it anymore? And we give it a new name: messenger boy bag and people will run for it? Done!
~~ We need a new hobo bag but we need to cut the cost. How about we make the same bag as this Helfty trash bag and put CHANEL letters on the front so Hefty won't sue us. If the letters fall out, great, they buy a new bag, more profits for us? Done!
(some jokes above are for entertaining purposes but yea...:angel: Chanel is not the same brand anymore)