2022 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Aug - brand showcase: A-F
4 Sept - brand showcase: G-L
11 Sept - brand showcase: M-R
18 Sept - brand showcase: S-Z
25 Sept - totes
2 Oct - satchels
9 Oct - crossbodies inc WOCS
16 Oct - shoulder bags
23 Oct - bucket bags
30 Oct - clutches
6 Nov - backpacks
13 Nov - bags that don’t count
20 Nov - pairing bags with shoes
27 Nov - pairing bags with other accessories
4 Dec - bag storage
11 Dec - SLGs
18 Dec - charms

Challenges:
Sept - bags in different locations
Oct - Halloween: wear orange or black bags
Nov - International Merlot Day: wear wine coloured bags or pair bags with wine.
Dec - use the bag.

So, I’ve decided to move to a much more plant based diet. We tend to eat healthfully but this will still be a big change.

My biggest hurdle is I really do NOT like the taste of grains (including breads, pastas and rice) and I’m not the biggest fan of white potatoes or corn. Yet, I find a lot of vegetarian/ vegan recipes replace the heartiness of meat with these items.

Any suggestions on types of cuisine (beyond salads) that are full of colorful veggies (yum) and no starchy stuff?

I happen to have just started (because my interests are weird and varied) a much-recommended book called Olive Trees and Honey: A Treasury of Vegetarian Recipes from Jewish Communities Around the World. It has 3 sections you wouldn't be interested in - Savory Pastries, Grains, and Dumplings and Pasta - but the majority of the recipes are pretty pure veggies and dairy. It might be a good introduction to various cuisines that you could then further explore, from Ethiopian to Indian.

My completely lazy version would be to look at all the low-to-no meat dishes in Indian and Chinese cooking, and then just... not make rice. :smile:

I happen to have just started (because my interests are weird and varied) a much-recommended book called Olive Trees and Honey: A Treasury of Vegetarian Recipes from Jewish Communities Around the World. It has 3 sections you wouldn't be interested in - Savory Pastries, Grains, and Dumplings and Pasta - but the majority of the recipes are pretty pure veggies and dairy. It might be a good introduction to various cuisines that you could then further explore, from Ethiopian to Indian.

My completely lazy version would be to look at all the low-to-no meat dishes in Indian and Chinese cooking, and then just... not make rice. :smile:

I could also recommend Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen. It’s a collection of recipes from the famous Moosewood restaurant in Ithaca, NY, which has been serving up vegetarian cuisine for about 50 years. If you visit the Moosewood website, you can check out a number of their recipes; they’re even dated so you know when they debuted. When I was in college in the 90’s, Moosewood was the source for vegetarian cuisine. A quick skim of the version of the cookbook I have from 1992 shows lots of recipes without carbs. It’s not vegan, though, so you’ll find dairy in many of them. Lots of recipes offer preparation options (e.g., substituting broccoli for potatoes), which could be helpful as you look for alternatives to carbs.

So happy for you. I love the mulberry so much more.
YEY!!!! I’m so excited for you!!! It’s truly gorgeous and I agree it has a little more zing than the Coach bag (tho of course that was lovely too).

I actually always think it’s nice when a purchase leads you to the right purchase, especially if you can still return.

I'm excited for you!

So happy for you. I love the mulberry so much more.
Thanks so much everyone. I’m really looking forward to it arriving and haven’t felt any remorse about boxing up the other bag so it’s totally the right decision.

Get the coat! I can literally hear the excitement and love in your voice, even though this is a written post, and I've never heard your voice in real life. The way you love this coat and the joy it gives you just radiates off of your post. Buy it.

I love this! What an awesome way of really listening to yourself and choosing the option that makes your giddy with joy!

Your post is actually making me think maybe I should return my KMM bag. Yes, this KMM bag is the color I've been wanting, and I truly do like it, but other than the color and quality (which, admittedly are pretty important factors), there's nothing in particular about the bag that makes me giddy. But, there's another bag out there (a fringed bucket bag) that I DO adore and would also fulfill that "perfect" tan color I want. And no, it's not the tote that I envisioned in my fall, apple-picking dreams, but I've also been wanting to get away from totes in general because I have too many. I had kind of put this fringed bucket bag out of my mind because it's by an indie designer who does drops every few weeks to sell her bags, and they sell out in the matter of minutes, so my chances of actually getting one is super slim. But, if I did manage to get one, I know the KMM one would be pushed aside as far as use goes. I guess the question really comes down to do I return and take my chances at trying to score the bag I really want, even though my chances are super small? Or do I keep because it's the bag I have in hand and again, my chances at the one I want are so so slim?

This is not the same thing at all, but I experienced something similar throughout my entire pregnancy. Nothing tasted right or good, not even my favorite foods. I really really struggled to find foods that tasted OK to me. I feel like I was possibly the only pregnant woman who didn't have crazy, intense cravings that I was "allowed" to indulge in. I always thought that I could look forward to enjoying all the ice cream, cheesy carbs, and junk food that I wanted during pregnancy! :lol: I kept saying how I couldn't wait until food tasted good to me again and I could enjoy food again. It really does stink when you can't enjoy foods you once loved. I'm sorry you are experiencing this!
Totally agree with your thought process. I know I would have been settling with the Coach bag and it would never have had, for me, the same thrill that the mini Alexa will have. Nice though it was.

I sense it is similar for you and you’ll possibly feel like you missed out on a bag you never tried to get. It sounds like it’s worth the risk of perhaps having to wait longer? I’d return the KMM and aim for the bucket bag you love.

Wear the bag! This was not used at all last year what with Covid and changing to a walking commute.

Mulberry Seaton in the largest size for work today.
7C82F8DE-E7F6-41F8-9F16-326AAD518A8A.jpeg

I’ve attached my Alexa crossbody strap instead of the slightly shorter shoulder strap for my walking commute home later. I normally carry it by hand, it’s quite heavy but feels elegant. It will be interesting to see how I feel after 5km! :lol:

I’ve made a decision of my own. Nothing like as wonderful as yours @BowieFan1971 .

Despite loving it, I didn’t buy the pink Mini Alexa in Mulberry yesterday because it wasn’t why I went in. Plus I’d just bought the Coach Maddison in pink and they are a similar size.

I still had all the packaging, and hadn’t used it, so I’ve boxed the Maddison up to return and ordered the Mini Alexa! The Maddison is lovely but it just didn’t give me the same tingle.

My Alexa’s are my favourite bags. The mini in pink has my heart singing with joy. The colour is incredible. I’m so excited and can’t wait for it to arrive. :party:

Well done @Katinahat ! Buying a bag is about joy- unbridled joy!

You could always after boiling them, coat them in spiralina or something like that and quickly fry them up a bit to make them crunchy.

Haha, sorry, I´m silly (No offense!!!!!), but this made me think of one of my food rules: everything is edible when covered in ketchup or chocolate sauce.... DH and I have different likes in the food sector and I (having to cater for the alpha male) often end up eating things like "Bratwurst" totally smothered in ketchup and hidden in a bun as not tasting it makes it edible....

At long last I have returned, fully rested and fed! :biggrin: I'd like to start out by saying that I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend with their pretties.

Where do I start? He's... amazing. I was finally able to see him again after two weeks. Unfortunately he had to work a double shift but he dropped me off at home nonetheless. Guys it was so sweet! It's just the little things with him... I was struggling with my seat-belt and he did it for me. He asked me why I didn't dress appropriately for the weather. I said that I wanted to look cute for him. He was really attentive, immediately asking me when I could see him next. I can tell that he's socially awkward but he's making the space in his life for me and that's really what matters. I'm happy that, while things are progressing slowly, I feel reassured and cherished by him.

I feel like I was right to trust him.

As for handbags... I've stuck to my guns. I am tempted by a Disney x Coach crossbody on Poshmark ; however, there are medical bills that need to be paid. I may end up getting it towards the end of the month but we'll see. Bad road conditions have kept me indoors.

I hope this update reaches everybody on bag ban island.

Last edited:
At long last I have returned, fully rested and fed! :biggrin: I'd like to start out by saying that I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend with their pretties.

Where do I start? He's... amazing. I was finally able to see him again after two weeks. Unfortunately he had to work a double shift but he dropped me off at home nonetheless. Guys it was so sweet! It's just the little things with him... I was struggling with my seat-belt and he did it for me. He asked me why I didn't dress appropriately for the weather. I said that I wanted to look cute for him. He was really attentive, immediately asking me when I could see him next. I can tell that he's socially awkward but he's making the space in his life for me and that's really what matters. I'm happy that, while things are progressing slowly, I feel reassured and cherished by him.

I feel like I was right to trust him.

As for handbags... I've stuck to my guns. I am tempted by a Disney x Coach crossbody on Poshmark ; however, there are medical bills that need to be paid.

I hope this update reaches everybody on bag ban island.
It’s so wonderful things are going so well! He sounds lovely. Your happiness is evident through your post, and it’s so nice to see. :smile:

Haha, sorry, I´m silly (No offense!!!!!), but this made me think of one of my food rules: everything is edible when covered in ketchup or chocolate sauce.... DH and I have different likes in the food sector and I (having to cater for the alpha male) often end up eating things like "Bratwurst" totally smothered in ketchup and hidden in a bun as not tasting it makes it edible....

I love ketchup on mac and cheese.

Return the KMM. It's not absolute love. Even if you don't get the fringed bucket bag, eventually another bag in the perfect color will make you feel giddy.
You’re right. It’s strong like, but it’s not absolute love and doesn’t give me that joyful, giddy feeling.

Totally agree with your thought process. I know I would have been settling with the Coach bag and it would never have had, for me, the same thrill that the mini Alexa will have. Nice though it was.

I sense it is similar for you and you’ll possibly feel like you missed out on a bag you never tried to get. It sounds like it’s worth the risk of perhaps having to wait longer? I’d return the KMM and aim for the bucket bag you love.
Yes, I agree. The KMM definitely doesn’t hold the same thrill as the other bag. And while I really do like the KMM and can certainly afford to keep it, doing so is really not in line with my goal of downsizing and curating my collection. I don’t want bags just because I like them-if I did, I’d have hundreds upon hundreds of bags because I like A LOT of bags. I want bags that thrill me and make me giddy and excited to wear them. I’ve already emailed to start the return, and I will try my luck at the other bag when the designer has future drops. I’m choosing to believe that eventually luck will be on my side, and I’ll score the one I want! :smile:

Wear the bag! This was not used at all last year what with Covid and changing to a walking commute.

Mulberry Seaton in the largest size for work today.
View attachment 5299664

I’ve attached my Alexa crossbody strap instead of the slightly shorter shoulder strap for my walking commute home later. I normally carry it by hand, it’s quite heavy but feels elegant. It will be interesting to see how I feel after 5km! :lol:
Oooh, this is gorgeous! Do the handles fit over the shoulder by any chance? I’m assuming not and that’s why there’s a separate shoulder strap that comes with it.

I always struggle with top handle/hand carry/arm carry bags, even if it comes with a longer strap. Top handle/hand carry/arm carry is probably my least favorite way to carry a bag, but I find bags designed this way so beautiful. Even when it comes with a longer strap, I still struggle because often the strap is too long for my tastes (short shoulder carry is my favorite) and even if I can get the strap to a length I like, it still, somehow, doesn’t feel right to me. I have a handful of bags in this hand carry/long strap category that I really love so I put up with the struggle, but I’m trying to avoid them until I figure out how to make them feel comfortable to me. But they are so pretty, and so many bags I like seem to be designed like this!

Maybe I need to learn to like hand/arm carry? I think it’s so interesting this is many people’s preference because I find it so uncomfortable, unnatural, and inconvenient. I feel like I’m missing something!

Anyway, it’s a really beautiful bag! I hope it feels good for your commute!

Status
Not open for further replies.