2022 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Aug - brand showcase: A-F
4 Sept - brand showcase: G-L
11 Sept - brand showcase: M-R
18 Sept - brand showcase: S-Z
25 Sept - totes
2 Oct - satchels
9 Oct - crossbodies inc WOCS
16 Oct - shoulder bags
23 Oct - bucket bags
30 Oct - clutches
6 Nov - backpacks
13 Nov - bags that don’t count
20 Nov - pairing bags with shoes
27 Nov - pairing bags with other accessories
4 Dec - bag storage
11 Dec - SLGs
18 Dec - charms

Challenges:
Sept - bags in different locations
Oct - Halloween: wear orange or black bags
Nov - International Merlot Day: wear wine coloured bags or pair bags with wine.
Dec - use the bag.

JenJBS

Sep 22, 2019
In these Resolution threads, we support each other with differing goals and objectives, although all underpinned with the overall desire of discovering what is perhaps hidden in the dark recesses of our wardrobes, lofts, attics and editing, curating, refining, redefining or updating our bag wardrobes.

There are other threads that are best suited to outright bans, shopping addictions and minimalist bag collections, so if those objectives for 2022 are far closer to your resolution(s) please do a word-search in this forum to help support your goal(s).

Please feel free to share your goals for 2022!

ANNUAL COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!! :speedy:

For those new to the thread, we started this tradition 7 years ago to remind ourselves of how wonderful our own collections are. By sharing and showcasing our babies with each other we reminded that we have all (or most of) what we need making it easier to shop our own closets.

To make this celebration extra fun, we share bags of a certain color each week.

COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!

• New color weeks start each Sunday
• Don’t jump ahead but, if you miss a week, please do show your bags “late”.
• Show bags individually or in a group
• You do NOT have to wear the bags that week
• For added fun, show pictures from previous years (2016-2021) or even just one photo from when you started your collection to demonstrate how you have curated it over time.
• This is completely voluntary. There is no pressure to post at any time.

COLOR WEEKS
Feb. 13: Red (including burgundy)
Feb. 20: Orange & Yellow
Feb. 27: Purple & Pink
Mar. 6: Blue & Indigo (including turquoise & teal)
Mar. 13: Green
Mar. 20: Black
Mar. 27: Gray
Apr. 3: White & Cream
Apr. 10: Brown & Tan
Apr. 17: Metallic (gold, silver, bronze and more!)
Apr. 24: Jeweled and all other embellished
May. 1: Multicolored

If you have posted in previous years, you can search the previous threads to find old photos of your bags to share the journey of your curation.

I will repost this information on Feb 6 but I wanted to share it a bit early so anyone with questions, etc. can ask and be ready to go when we begin.

My 2022 Goals:

Copied this first goal from @More bags last year since she said it so beautifully.
1) Edit my belongings to what I love, use, and find beautiful.
2) One in, one out.
3) Only buy purses / wallets / clothes / accessories / jewelry to fill a hole in my collection; or replace/upgrade an existing item.

This last one is more wishful dreaming...

Find my signature style, and get rid of anything that doesn't fit it. Any tips on finding your signature style?

One I heard, that goes along with this Thread is to look in your own closet. Pull out your favorite items and outfits. Then really analyze them. Why are they your favorite? Color? Material? Fit? Etc. Then look for more items with those elements. Then do the same with items you don't wear. That way you can, hopefully, avoid buying more items you won't wear; because you'll know the 'warning signs'. Rather than just saying, "I never wear this. Time to let it go." First figure out, in detail, why you never wear it so you don't end up repeating the 'mistake'.

Yay @JenJBS - great post to start the 2022 thread! :heart::heart::heart:

2022 Goals/Habits
  • Edit my belongings to what I love, use and find beautiful; curate my wardrobe
  • Wear and enjoy what I have; shop my closet
  • Be selective, thoughtful and mindful for things I purchase and what exits my closet; work within the boundaries of my physical space
  • Continue tracking my wears of bags, clothing, shoes and jewelry; collect data and listen to emotions
  • Continue to put perceived wants on a 30 Day Delayed Gratification List
  • Enjoy a wardrobe that supports my real lifestyle vs. imaginary lifestyle, wear my favourite items frequently, try new things, learn from my mistakes, be curious and grow; explore, reflect, express myself, and have fun
Re: your question about signature style, I like the advice you shared about examining and analyzing your favourites and least worn items from your own closet. @BowieFan1971 posed a similar question in the 2021 thread, what are the iconic pieces in your closet that scream you, https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...collection-any-one-else.1038094/post-34306541
I also re-read a post tonight that had a great example of examining most worn and least worn pieces, digging into the why and identifying patterns.
http://www.theluxestrategist.com/fall-shopping-my-go-to-strategy-for-not-wasting-money/

This thread continues where this one left off

Familiar names and new 'faces' welcome to our yearly journey.

Every year, in these threads, we try to support each other with differing goals and objectives, although all underpinned with the overall desire of discovering what is perhaps hidden in the dark recesses of our wardrobes, lofts, attics and editing, curating, refining, redefining or updating our bag wardrobes.

There are other threads that are best suited to outright bans, shopping addictions and minimalist bag collections, so if those objectives for 2022 are far closer to your resolution(s) please do a word-search in this forum to help support your goal(s).

My '22 objectives for this year are similar to years gone by:
1 Bag
- for Gucci centenary since I didn't buy it last year (I didn't buy any bags last year)
Perhaps my H HG (not telling but not if I get the Gucci)
2 bags must leave (I didn't do that last year either)
Get to grips with SLGs and use the ones I have presently. I have been better last year so need to keep up the good work.

+
2 scarves per season or less (any brand) whether new or pre-loved (2 seasons a year) which I achieved last year.
Blitz RTW further, full-scale overhaul (also didn't do last year)
Rid myself of more 5" + heel shoes and boots I never, ever wear (apart from Guccis :biggrin: ). I rid myself of a pair last year but then started looking at heels agin (happily didn't buy any).

Thanks @JenJBS for starting the new 2022 thread! Hoping it’s a better year for everyone! :heart::heart::heart:

My 2022 Goals:

- I’ve been pretty good at clearing out my wardrobe every season change, so hoping to continue doing that. Almost all of my new clothes were to replace an older item I gave away or didn’t fit. Coats and knit jumpers were my only obsession but those are items for life.

- Regarding bags I think I reached bag heaven this week adding a light colored Saint Laurent bag to my collection. Never say never, but for the foreseeable months I haven’t found any style that I don’t have and would like to own.

- I have also stopped impulse purchasing shoes (like Zara for example) and have only bought either designer brands or local handmade ones that are more durable.

I think I’m happy with my spending habits this year and even being on this forum hasn’t tempted me much!

Anyone can start the thread or do monthly challenges. So go fo it! :smile: @eggtartapproved started the threads years ago but hasn’t been around much lastely.

@JenJBS @eggtartapproved

Thinking about dates, we quite late in starting a new thread since people like to think about resolutions, particularly those new to the idea who my not want to join this one.

If someone could keep-up with the monthly themes it would be a great help. Just ask the handbag forum mod to pin those threads to the top and it will come-up as top of the page or 'report' your own post to request. @Sparkletastic did a great job last year.

I've started the '22 thread here

and now I have to go out for a walk before it gets dark.

Wishing everybody well and hope you had the holiday you all wished for.

@JenJBS @eggtartapproved

Thinking about dates, we quite late in starting a new thread since people like to think about resolutions, particularly those new to the idea who my not want to join this one.

If someone could keep-up with the monthly themes it would be a great help. Just ask the handbag forum mod to pin those threads to the top and it will come-up as top of the page or 'report' your own post to request. @Sparkletastic did a great job last year.

I've started the '22 thread here

and now I have to go out for a walk before it gets dark.

Wishing everybody well and hope you had the holiday you all wished for.

My apologies. I started a 2022 Thread last night. Is there a way to Delete mine? Should have mentioned here that I started it. So sorry.

Reactions: papertiger
As I sit here thinking about what I am going to take to Paris, I am having a realization. I have started “saving” bags again, meaning I am not using some because they are “too nice.” This is something I said I was going to stop doing because life is just too damned short and the bags do no good just sitting in my closet. I buy vintage and secondhand to begin with, so my bags are in great condition but not pristine. I actually like/prefer that because they ring as more authentic/true to my age/style/station. People would just assume I have had them forever. The designer bags I buy are the classic/workhorse styles/materials to begin with, like coated canvas and simple styles, so they were designed to be daily bags and hold up to wear and tear. I don’t have any lambskin/fussy/embellished bags.
To that end, I think my goal this year is to get rid of most of the contemporary bags I have (except for a select 2-3 that either I love or that have sentimental value, plus there are a few situations where a designer bag is really not appropriate). I am not hard on my bags by nature, so I need to USE them. My LVs are a perfect example of this.
I will list and fire sale my contemporary bags. I may even donate/give away some to just get them gone.

My new mantra- Life is short. USE THE BAG!!!!

As I sit here thinking about what I am going to take to Paris, I am having a realization. I have started “saving” bags again, meaning I am not using some because they are “too nice.” This is something I said I was going to stop doing because life is just too damned short and the bags do no good just sitting in my closet. I buy vintage and secondhand to begin with, so my bags are in great condition but not pristine. I actually like/prefer that because they ring as more authentic/true to my age/style/station. People would just assume I have had them forever. The designer bags I buy are the classic/workhorse styles/materials to begin with, like coated canvas and simple styles, so they were designed to be daily bags and hold up to wear and tear. I don’t have any lambskin/fussy/embellished bags.
To that end, I think my goal this year is to get rid of most of the contemporary bags I have (except for a select 2-3 that either I love or that have sentimental value, plus there are a few situations where a designer bag is really not appropriate). I am not hard on my bags by nature, so I need to USE them. My LVs are a perfect example of this.
I will list and fire sale my contemporary bags. I may even donate/give away some to just get them gone.

I’m all about using the bag. My priority is to always reach for my most expensive bags first do they don’t build up any “museum piece” aura in my head. Tracking my use really helps with that. I can see fairly quickly in any year whether or not an individual bag is getting used and whether or not I’m rotating my bags.
@JenJBS @eggtartapprovedIf someone could keep-up with the monthly themes it would be a great help. Just ask the handbag forum mod to pin those threads to the top and it will come-up as top of the page or 'report' your own post to request. @Sparkletastic did a great job last year.
Thanks, @papertiger but while I led the monthly challenges in previous years, @More bags really did the majority of that effort last year. Kudos to her!

I won’t be doing them going forward as it’s a bit of work to issue reminders, answer people’s questions and “herd the cats”. So, hopefully some new creative, organized person will take on the task. :tup:

I completely agree with this!! I just wrote about this earlier in another thread! I used to "save" my bags, clothes, whatever and with the pandemic I've realized life is too short I just need to use all of my things!

Sparkle’s 2022 Resolutions

I’ve “curated” a tight collection that I love and slayed the bag buying monster. :yahoo: So, my resolutions are more forward moving than about control and reduction as they have been in the past

1) Covid pivot Find new ways to style my 5 bags least worn since Covid hit due to the change in lifestyle. Goal: wear each 5+ times this year.

2) Renew the love I’m sooooo tired of my Fendi By The Way and YSL Cabas satchel. :whut: They’re still on trend, so I will find a way to love them as I’m not selling them.

3) Seek joy! Buy 1-2 heart stopping bags that add variety to my closet - so no more flaps. They also must be regularly wearable in this pandemic lifestyle.

4) Sell one bag I love my Dior tote but my work laptop doesn’t fit.

5) Overhaul my wardrobe. Year 3 of Covid also means everything is 3 years older. Classic items stay. Work clothes, past their time trendy clothes, a legion of ball gowns, boring clothes and the low quality work-from-home-leisure clothes I bought thinking the pandemic was temporary need to go. (Cheap sundresses and leggings from Amazon - I’m looking at you.) 1 in / 2 out as I upgrade quality and buy items I adore and can wear NOW.

I completely agree with this!! I just wrote about this earlier in another thread! I used to "save" my bags, clothes, whatever and with the pandemic I've realized life is too short I just need to use all of my things!
I’ve been just the opposite. I used everything pre pandemic. Now I have to figure out how to get back to that since I’m not going to the same places / activities and everything is so mind numbingly casual.

I’ve been just the opposite. I used everything pre pandemic. Now I have to figure out how to get back to that since I’m not going to the same places / activities and everything is so mind numbingly casual.
I completely know what you mean. One thing I've definitely gotten more use out of lately are my sweats which I hardly ever wore pre-pandemic haha and just being comfortable in general!

I completely know what you mean. One thing I've definitely gotten more use out of lately are my sweats which I hardly ever wore pre-pandemic haha and just being comfortable in general!
Yeah. :-s Sweats, hoodies, t-shirts, leggings, yoga pants… I just can’t anymore. Everything is shapeless and uninteresting. I have got to figure out what work from home / stay at home fashion and style can look like. I desperately need the intersection of super cute and practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.