2022 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Aug - brand showcase: A-F
4 Sept - brand showcase: G-L
11 Sept - brand showcase: M-R
18 Sept - brand showcase: S-Z
25 Sept - totes
2 Oct - satchels
9 Oct - crossbodies inc WOCS
16 Oct - shoulder bags
23 Oct - bucket bags
30 Oct - clutches
6 Nov - backpacks
13 Nov - bags that don’t count
20 Nov - pairing bags with shoes
27 Nov - pairing bags with other accessories
4 Dec - bag storage
11 Dec - SLGs
18 Dec - charms

Challenges:
Sept - bags in different locations
Oct - Halloween: wear orange or black bags
Nov - International Merlot Day: wear wine coloured bags or pair bags with wine.
Dec - use the bag.

You're right. The problem I am dealing with is that I have a ton of Saks gift cards so this bag would be "such a great deal" (like less than half price just taking into account my out of pocket $) and I'd feel less guilty about getting less wear out of it. I just hate holding onto the gift cards because: first, I am always worried I am going to lose them, and second, I exclusively save my Saks gift cards for Chanel because it's easier to stomach the prices, but I've convinced myself it's only a matter of time before they stop accepting gift cards as a form of purchase. But, I just got a new bag that I LOVE and want to enjoy. So, I think you're right. Pass and admire from afar!

I also LOVE green bags. Every shade of green, but I am mostly drawn to olive, sage or taupe-greens. That said, my vert cypress K32 does go with a lot of my wardrobe (I think it looks really nice with warm cream and camel tones) and this color isn't that far off but is definitely LOUD with the iridescence. I was thinking maybe I could get the WOC version because I LOVE the Chanel WOC but I already have an emerald green reissue WOC (posted here) which I prefer over the WOC version of this 22P color.

I found this color palette online from an interior designer (H&H Creative Home Design) and it's very representative of my wardrobe, besides the occasional classic b&w outfit. I do think I'd have a hard time styling this bag :sad: so it's gonna have to be a pass... I think lol

View attachment 5298824

ETA: Is there a "bags you're glad you passed on" thread? :smile:
I passed on the LV bag in order to get the navy trench coat. Not sorry at all! I can leave France without regretting not buying the bag, but I knew I would regret not buying the coat. I wore it out of the store and felt SO GOOD walking around in it. So pulled together, long and slim. And it was as comfortable as if it was made for me. I was complimented on it by the SA at H George V, where I did get a scarf, and did not regret not getting an H bag at all. The jacket I wore to the store and twilly from LV were sent to my hotel, along with a thank you card from the SA (who was a very sweet young lady named Julia) and perfume samples for both DH and me. I felt luxe while at the store AND when I got back to our room, where the package was waiting. The whole experience was like a decadent dessert…absolutely perfect but once was enough. Even the SA who helped me with the scarf at H was so much warmer and relaxed than the ones in Atlanta. They gave me perfume too and a cute little postcard of the store tucked into the ribbon on the box. I am done shopping…heaven knows I have spent enough, but I had the experiences I could have hoped for so I don’t need more.

Taking a rest for now, but I will post a pic of me in the coat later. The H scarf is this one…but with a pink sky and blue buildings. I’ll take a pic later. It’s a great Paris scarf, which was exactly what I wanted!6840B40C-9E08-4B7C-A46E-D3FA8F9C372A.png

At long last I have returned, fully rested and fed! :biggrin: I'd like to start out by saying that I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend with their pretties.

Where do I start? He's... amazing. I was finally able to see him again after two weeks. Unfortunately he had to work a double shift but he dropped me off at home nonetheless. Guys it was so sweet! It's just the little things with him... I was struggling with my seat-belt and he did it for me. He asked me why I didn't dress appropriately for the weather. I said that I wanted to look cute for him. He was really attentive, immediately asking me when I could see him next. I can tell that he's socially awkward but he's making the space in his life for me and that's really what matters. I'm happy that, while things are progressing slowly, I feel reassured and cherished by him.

I feel like I was right to trust him.

As for handbags... I've stuck to my guns. I am tempted by a Disney x Coach crossbody on Poshmark ; however, there are medical bills that need to be paid. I may end up getting it towards the end of the month but we'll see. Bad road conditions have kept me indoors.

I hope this update reaches everybody on bag ban island.
So glad you had a wonderful date!!!!

At long last I have returned, fully rested and fed! :biggrin: I'd like to start out by saying that I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend with their pretties.

Where do I start? He's... amazing. I was finally able to see him again after two weeks. Unfortunately he had to work a double shift but he dropped me off at home nonetheless. Guys it was so sweet! It's just the little things with him... I was struggling with my seat-belt and he did it for me. He asked me why I didn't dress appropriately for the weather. I said that I wanted to look cute for him. He was really attentive, immediately asking me when I could see him next. I can tell that he's socially awkward but he's making the space in his life for me and that's really what matters. I'm happy that, while things are progressing slowly, I feel reassured and cherished by him.

As for handbags... I've stuck to my guns. I am tempted by a Disney x Coach crossbody on Poshmark ; however, there are medical bills that need to be paid. I may end up getting it towards the end of the month but we'll see. Bad road conditions have kept me indoors.

It's great to hear you so happy in a relationship. Really glad it's working out so well for you. He sounds like a great guy.

Finally caught up on the thread.
I am very prone to guilt for all kinds of things. I feel guilt for making purchases. I feel guilt for letting go of things. I especially feel guilt for letting go of things that were gifts. I have no good advice, but you are definitely not alone.
I don’t feel guilty about buying. I do feel guilt about giving away gifts, need to get over that. And the hoarder in me does not like to let things go. Slowly working on that too.
I love parsnips! My mom grew up being forced to eat turnips so she never cooked turnips or parsnips. I discovered them one day in a restaurant. Unfortunately I'm still the only one in my family who will eat them. I have a supply in the refrigerator but no stove or oven at the moment.

On the other hand, I was forced to eat canned peas and lima beans. DH was too. We never fed those to our kids. I can eat fresh peas but I stay far away from lima beans.
Funny how that works! There’s some things my dad made I loved - like he made the best, falling off the bone, ribs. But he also made me eat bologna, which as an adult I hate & refuse to eat.

So glad you had a great time on your date. Hope it continues to go well.

Use the bag: Coach Tabby Top Handle
3D6A98D4-5527-4405-9D80-7BD11C64B970.jpeg
I haven’t been using the bag because the shoulder strap kept detaching. Finally had the bright idea to use a different strap. After using it all weekend with the other strap, I’ve had zero issues. Since the MJ strap seems to have solved the issue & I still like the look & functionality of the bag, I will definitely keep it.

Haha, sorry, I´m silly (No offense!!!!!), but this made me think of one of my food rules: everything is edible when covered in ketchup or chocolate sauce.... DH and I have different likes in the food sector and I (having to cater for the alpha male) often end up eating things like "Bratwurst" totally smothered in ketchup and hidden in a bun as not tasting it makes it edible....
I happen to adore bratwurst, but I haven’t had it in maybe 20 years :biggrin:

@SakuraSakura, glad you had an amazing date! (Thanks to @baghabitz34 i saw this; I need to go back and reread more carefully

@BowieFan1971, congrats on the perfect coat and scarf! So happy you got it and cannot wait to see pics!

@dramaprincess713, okay, now I think you need to let go of the KMM and find the one that is perfect for you

@baghabitz34 and @Katinahat , glad you are using your gorgeous bags

somehow I now want falling off the bone ribs and Mac and cheese :biggrin:

Last edited:
You’re right. It’s strong like, but it’s not absolute love and doesn’t give me that joyful, giddy feeling.

Yes, I agree. The KMM definitely doesn’t hold the same thrill as the other bag. And while I really do like the KMM and can certainly afford to keep it, doing so is really not in line with my goal of downsizing and curating my collection. I don’t want bags just because I like them-if I did, I’d have hundreds upon hundreds of bags because I like A LOT of bags. I want bags that thrill me and make me giddy and excited to wear them. I’ve already emailed to start the return, and I will try my luck at the other bag when the designer has future drops. I’m choosing to believe that eventually luck will be on my side, and I’ll score the one I want! :smile:

Oooh, this is gorgeous! Do the handles fit over the shoulder by any chance? I’m assuming not and that’s why there’s a separate shoulder strap that comes with it.

I always struggle with top handle/hand carry/arm carry bags, even if it comes with a longer strap. Top handle/hand carry/arm carry is probably my least favorite way to carry a bag, but I find bags designed this way so beautiful. Even when it comes with a longer strap, I still struggle because often the strap is too long for my tastes (short shoulder carry is my favorite) and even if I can get the strap to a length I like, it still, somehow, doesn’t feel right to me. I have a handful of bags in this hand carry/long strap category that I really love so I put up with the struggle, but I’m trying to avoid them until I figure out how to make them feel comfortable to me. But they are so pretty, and so many bags I like seem to be designed like this!

Maybe I need to learn to like hand/arm carry? I think it’s so interesting this is many people’s preference because I find it so uncomfortable, unnatural, and inconvenient. I feel like I’m missing something!

Anyway, it’s a really beautiful bag! I hope it feels good for your commute!
Good decision! I hope you get the bucket bag from the designer and find the giddy feeling soon!

I’m glad you like the Seaton as I think it is gorgeous as a luxe work bag. Unfortunately the handles don’t fit over the shoulder. You do have to use the long strap. It’s adjustable so a lot of variety but just not enough long to be crossbody, hence I added the slightly longer strap today. I looked for a strap when I bought this as the Grey Bayswater I had for work didn’t have that option. I totally agree about hand/arm carry. It works for me for short distances and I used to drive to work. Ideally the handles on both this and the Bays would have been just a little longer for the shoulder carry option but I guess it might have had a negative impact on aesthetics.

My walk home today was fine. The Seaton was comfortable crossbody until the last km when it began to feel a bit heavy. I didn’t have it very full either.

Definitely a workable way to use the bag!

View attachment 5299826
I haven’t been using the bag because the shoulder strap kept detaching. Finally had the bright idea to use a different strap. After using it all weekend with the other strap, I’ve had zero issues. Since the MJ strap seems to have solved the issue & I still like the look & functionality of the bag, I will definitely keep it.
Beautiful bag! Not unlike the black top handled bag I carried today. The leather looks gorgeous on your Tabby.

How interesting! I’ve had this issue with two Coach bags. The clip on the optional crossbody strap sometimes just comes undone at one end. Is that the same problem? Well done for finding a solution!

Last edited:
I passed on the LV bag in order to get the navy trench coat. Not sorry at all! I can leave France without regretting not buying the bag, but I knew I would regret not buying the coat. I wore it out of the store and felt SO GOOD walking around in it. So pulled together, long and slim. And it was as comfortable as if it was made for me. I was complimented on it by the SA at H George V, where I did get a scarf, and did not regret not getting an H bag at all. The jacket I wore to the store and twilly from LV were sent to my hotel, along with a thank you card from the SA (who was a very sweet young lady named Julia) and perfume samples for both DH and me. I felt luxe while at the store AND when I got back to our room, where the package was waiting. The whole experience was like a decadent dessert…absolutely perfect but once was enough. Even the SA who helped me with the scarf at H was so much warmer and relaxed than the ones in Atlanta. They gave me perfume too and a cute little postcard of the store tucked into the ribbon on the box. I am done shopping…heaven knows I have spent enough, but I had the experiences I could have hoped for so I don’t need more.

Taking a rest for now, but I will post a pic of me in the coat later. The H scarf is this one…but with a pink sky and blue buildings. I’ll take a pic later. It’s a great Paris scarf, which was exactly what I wanted!View attachment 5299767
What an absolutely incredible experience. No wonder you feel on top of the world. Can’t wait to see the pics.

I am delighted for you. It’s lovely to hear your news about your great date!

View attachment 5299826
I love when you figure out a way to make a bag work that you love. I have added some straps to things lately too.

I was mostly snowed in today so I listed a couple of things. I like them ,but the wallet I never used and the other is an adorable backpack but didn’t fit my art supplies. Making space so when something comes across my path that I am truly Gaga over I can purchase guilt free and already have space available too.
There was a question of was there ever a bag you passed on and you are happy you did? I have not passed on many and then been happy about it at least not premier brands. There have been a few contemporary bags that friends had that looked awful quite quickly that I am happy I passed on.

I was mostly snowed in today so I listed a couple of things. I like them ,but the wallet I never used and the other is an adorable backpack but didn’t fit my art supplies. Making space so when something comes across my path that I am truly Gaga over I can purchase guilt free and already have space available too.
There was a question of was there ever a bag you passed on and you are happy you did? I have not passed on many and then been happy about it at least not premier brands. There have been a few contemporary bags that friends had that looked awful quite quickly that I am happy I passed on.
I find it hard to pass on premier designer vintage deals. My eBay feed is full of bags that are almost perfect for me thst I have resisted. However, it makes me happy not to buy them unless I know they are perfect for me
thrilled to pass on H trim 1; H vintage croc; gucci top handles that aren’t in perfect condition; same for Roberta di Camerino; Cartier belt bags; chanel exotic boy bags.

8 am still kicking myself bc I passed on the perfect, well under retail, H ostrich 30B in the perfect blue gray.
also unhappy I passed on an over retail, but not egregiously priced, barenia toile 30@B, phw.

I am happy I passed on a BV cabat small (still too big and unstructured for me)
I am also happy I passed on a BV knot (too small and too structured for me)
I am so sad I missed the gunmetal BV cervo hobo posted by another member (perhaps @muchstuff ?)

I find it much easier and am happy to pass on full retail price premier luxury bags (hermes, chanel, delvaux, Moynat, dior).
Hermes touch ostrich B30, some other H offers
chanel CF seasonal with camellias printed on it; chanel 19 ( too slouchy and puffy); chanel boy (too boxy)
delvaux (Magritte collection: love it but it’s too big and heavy and the buckle would annoy)
moynat (camo matte alligator rejane, not the right color way and I dislike the rejane)
dior (I’ve passed on many diors in a variety of sizes, styles, skins, fabrics)

I am so sad that 8 didn’t know about the Mary katrantzou collaboration with Bulgari to get one.

Last edited:
It’s so wonderful things are going so well! He sounds lovely. Your happiness is evident through your post, and it’s so nice to see. :smile:
So glad you had a wonderful date!!!!
It's great to hear you so happy in a relationship. Really glad it's working out so well for you. He sounds like a great guy.
I am delighted for you. It’s lovely to hear your news about your great date!

Aww, thanks everybody! I was saddened that he had to work a split shift but I'm sure that wasn't the last time I'll see him. I acted so awkwardly I can't believe he's interested haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.