is everyone turned off to ebay for selling?

my first attempt at one of these selling sites will probably be a bag I don't expect to get very much for....but would like to not give it away as I pretty much did with the bags I brought to local consignment....

I haven't sold on Ebay for a few years now so things may have changed but they used to limit the amount of high end items for new sellers. Starting off small is best. I made soooooo many mistakes (as buyer and seller) in the beginning.

Reactions: sdkitty
I’m selling on Mercari but it’s somewhat slow going after making my first sale. I had an offer on one of my items but I felt like it was an established seller trying to bully me into accepting a lowball offer. I wish there was a way to import seller feedback from eBay like you can in Bonanza.

Reactions: lovieluvslux
I’m selling on Mercari but it’s somewhat slow going after making my first sale. I had an offer on one of my items but I felt like it was an established seller trying to bully me into accepting a lowball offer. I wish there was a way to import seller feedback from eBay like you can in Bonanza.
bully you?
like make you an offer and tell you your price wasn't justified? then flip your item?

I wish I could still sell on Bonanza. I used to do well there but seems no one goes there anymore. a few months back I was going to list something anyway. they wanted my CC info. why do they need that for someone to sell? I bailed.

I wish I could still sell on Bonanza. I used to do well there but seems no one goes there anymore. a few months back I was going to list something anyway. they wanted my CC info. why do they need that for someone to sell? I bailed.

Maybe more people will go back to Bonanza now that ebay is implementing all these changes.

from what I see, people seem to be using other platforms like TRR, Tradesy, Posh, Mercari.

I'm still using ebay, even though I swore off selling there for several months a year ago after one unfortunate selling experience. Generally, I've had nothing but good selling experiences on Ebay. I find that I do move items more quickly and for more money there as opposed to Poshmark and TRR and ThredUp. I haven't ever tried Mercari or Tradesy. ThredUp and TRR are frustrating as it takes forever to process and list items. Last I checked with my rep at TRR, she told me it would take up to 2 months to process and list a few jewelry items. They also pay out a lot less. Frankly, ThredUp is a waste of time for me. I am just going to donate items that would otherwise go there in future. Poshmark was reasonably good for awhile, I sold a lot of my DD's things, but lately not much activity so I deleted my remaining listings and just put them all up on ebay.

I haven't sold any high-end handbags in a while, but when I did I sold to Fashionphile or Yoogi's. I do like Mercari because they give a buyer only four days to accept or return. I stopped selling on eBay eons ago when they stopped allowing sellers to leave negative feedback for a buyer and then allowed buyers 180 days to return. On Mercari you are in control of your pricing and can lower the price anytime you wish. They usually require you to do that by at least 10% , though. Even though they are not as big as other platforms, I have found that I rarely get a lowball offer and people are respectful.

I haven't sold any high-end handbags in a while, but when I did I sold to Fashionphile or Yoogi's. I do like Mercari because they give a buyer only four days to accept or return. I stopped selling on eBay eons ago when they stopped allowing sellers to leave negative feedback for a buyer and then allowed buyers 180 days to return. On Mercari you are in control of your pricing and can lower the price anytime you wish. They usually require you to do that by at least 10% , though. Even though they are not as big as other platforms, I have found that I rarely get a lowball offer and people are respectful.
It's not ebay that allows 180 day returns. (Ebay is 30 days.) It's Paypal who gives a 6-month window.

I don't use Mercari so I don't know if buyers can use Paypal to pay for purchases there but if they do allow PP, you have the same risk. Any site can have its own return policy but depending on how the buyer pays, their protection can still extend beyond the site's policy.

It's not ebay that allows 180 day returns. (Ebay is 30 days.) It's Paypal who gives a 6-month window.

I don't use Mercari so I don't know if buyers can use Paypal to pay for purchases there but if they do allow PP, you have the same risk. Any site can have its own return policy but depending on how the buyer pays, their protection can still extend beyond the site's policy.

It has been a long time ago since I sold on eBay, but at the time I could only accept PayPal and was paid directly to PayPal by the buyer. So it would have been a 180 days if the buyer knew to file through PayPal. Mercari does accept PayPal, but Mercari pays me, and I transfer to my bank account. So, I am not sure how a buyer could dispute the transaction with me personally. Luckily I have not had a return to find out, lol. I guess there is always a way to skirt the system, but buyers on Mercari know that they only have four days to return after they have received the item.

Reactions: lovieluvslux
so on ebay you can have a "no return" policy even though the buyer has ways to get around it?
Yes.

If an item is accurately described, you can have a no return policy and if a buyer requests a return for anything other than "not as described," you can refuse.

If a buyer opens SNAD, you can refuse the return and argue with the buyer till the cows come home but if the buyer claimed SNAD, the seller will lose every time.

My way of handling:
I have a no return policy but I've never refused an honest buyer who lets me know she doesn't like, doesn't fit, wrong color, duplicate, etc. I will accept the return for a refund of the purchase price. (Initial shipping and return shipping are at the buyer's expense. I don't have "free" shipping so it's easier to issue a refund for just the item than if shipping was built into the price.)

In these cases, I find it's a win-win all around. I don't make the buyer keep an item she doesn't want, I get a credit for fees on the amount of the refund and other than the 30 cents fee, I'm not out anything other than a bit of time. I get the item back and can relist and resell. Buyer is happy because she didn't feel forced to lie about the condition, wasn't forced to keep something she doesn't want and doesn't have to worry about reselling it herself.

If a buyer is intent on returning and if the seller refuses or if buyer doesn't want to pay return shipping, she'll file SNAD and seller will have to pay return shipping as well as the full purchase price in a refund.

Reactions: Prettyn and sdkitty
Yes.

If an item is accurately described, you can have a no return policy and if a buyer requests a return for anything other than "not as described," you can refuse.

If a buyer opens SNAD, you can refuse the return and argue with the buyer till the cows come home but if the buyer claimed SNAD, the seller will lose every time.

My way of handling:
I have a no return policy but I've never refused an honest buyer who lets me know she doesn't like, doesn't fit, wrong color, duplicate, etc. I will accept the return for a refund of the purchase price. (Initial shipping and return shipping are at the buyer's expense. I don't have "free" shipping so it's easier to issue a refund for just the item than if shipping was built into the price.)

In these cases, I find it's a win-win all around. I don't make the buyer keep an item she doesn't want, I get a credit for fees on the amount of the refund and other than the 30 cents fee, I'm not out anything other than a bit of time. I get the item back and can relist and resell. Buyer is happy because she didn't feel forced to lie about the condition, wasn't forced to keep something she doesn't want and doesn't have to worry about reselling it herself.

If a buyer is intent on returning and if the seller refuses or if buyer doesn't want to pay return shipping, she'll file SNAD and seller will have to pay return shipping as well as the full purchase price in a refund.
thanks
I think I'm gonna try my first ebay listing. maybe do BIN with no offer option and they can message me if they want to ask if I'll take offers?
It's not a high end bag but I'd like to get something for it.
Is it better to list on the weekend or at end of week rather than weekdays?

Yes.

My way of handling:

There is a 3% paypal fee that does not get refunded by paypal, so we are out of that too

thanks
I think I'm gonna try my first ebay listing. maybe do BIN with no offer option and they can message me if they want to ask if I'll take offers?
It's not a high end bag but I'd like to get something for it.
Is it better to list on the weekend or at end of week rather than weekdays?

If it is a BIN it doesn't matter when you list.
Back in the day it was considered beneficial by many to end their auction listings on Sunday evening so there was always a glut of them. Of course you had to factor in time differences. Prime time on the West coast may be too late for the East coast iykwim
I haven't ebayed in so long, but I do recall them preselecting many selling options for you. You would have to go in and manually opt out of things. :nono: :annoyed: :cursing:

Reactions: sdkitty