2020 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

Looking chic, as always @papertiger! I hope you had a good outing to the exhibition.

Thank you XXX

It was great, I learned so much and it was so inspiring.

I bought a Beardsley silk scarf as a souvenir and I'm happy with it :biggrin: .

No enabling if you have enough scarves :rolleyes: but if anyone is a Beardsley fan the 120cm x 120cm scarves are going quickly as they are 66% off (the exhibition is closing soon)

Cross posting from SotD

IMG_20200913_202307.jpg

OK, same duo as a few weeks ago to go to Aubrey Beardsley exhibition at Tate Britain with packed lunch, bottle of water, cardigan and mousseline scarf in DS Maxi and usuals in Evie

This picture will be big, so sorry, so posting thumbnail

View attachment 4846928
Thanks for the good advice. I am going to hold off and till I find something I truly love. Hope you had a great time. Love your whole look even the mask.

I missed your shopping event. I would have voted for the Hampstead (the bucket)! Its cute and it’s different from what you already have.
I really liked the Hampstead too. I was not sure if it looked to small on me. I also didn't try my stuff in it which I regret. I didn't get it because I wasn't sure it would sell if I got tired of it. My daughter told me I should stop thinking about resale and buy bags that I truly love .

I was going to ask a question about my Yeoh bag and then looked through my notes and realized the seller listed the leather - I've just since had doubts. But! It has a crinoline part!

So, the Hermes Yeoh bag is a fab bag - discreet, tucks under the shoulder, holds a ton. But I really bought it for the mix and match dorkiness of it.

View attachment 4847039

Apologies for the blurriness - it was fine on my phone. Anyway, on the right, my first purchase, what the seller says is Togo for the large bag and crinoline for the small bag. No word on the top, but it seems like it has to be box. On the left, my "parts bag" (some people have parts cars, I have a parts bag). The top piece again box. The large bag is toile, and the small bag? Dunno. Pretty and silver.

I could wear the leather version all the time, aside from the annoying opening issue mentioned below. I wear the toile version to festivals, where it avoids pickpockets and ignores beer spills equally well. I haven't used the smaller pouches at all.

To the crinoline: It is attractive to the look, but not at all to the touch. I store it against the toile because I worry it will scratch any of the other pieces.

View attachment 4847044

And the Togo. Many other listings for Yeoh I've seen say the outer bag is Buffle, so I wasn't sure. But this is the only bag that I reach out and fondle all day at work. It is so better-than-velvety. (The BV intrecciatos are close.)

View attachment 4847054

The cool thing about the Yeoh is that each pouch will zip closed to itself or zip to the top strap thing. Wait, I just realized I can not only use either small pouch as a clutch, I could use the larger pouches, too, and fondle the Togo(?) pouch all evening!

The annoying thing is that to get into it you need to almost but not entirely unzip the top strap thing from the pouch to reach in. If you entirely unzip it you have to set the whole purse down and feed the zipper ends into each other to close it again. At least it is very good at remaining upright even when hanging only by one zipper, so I can move somewhere else to do it and don't have to block whatever counter I've opened it at.

Other downsides: The zippers have a weird plastic-y thing by the ends - it looks unattractive and isn't holding up well. The top piece is supposed to be straight, but weight causes it to break somewhere in the middle, eventually causing permanent creases. The H hardware at each end is attached by teensy screws, which want to work their way loose. So far they've fallen into the bag for retrieval but this and the above issue are why I call one bag my parts bag.

tldr: This bag ticks all my geeky and sensual boxes but has some practical issues. Also, closeup of crinoline should you be interested, and query as to if main bag is Togo or Buffle or something else.

Very interesting.

I think not Togo, but could be deer skin as it looks a bit like one of the Hermes (deerskin) caps.

Reactions: FizzyWater
What a stunning purse! There are so many layers to the color there...

Riffing off your post, I know there's nothing like an Hermes bag, but here's how I've been managing my fruitless search for more:
--Trim I
--Larger than 31 (I tried but it was just too small for me)
--With a zipper closure

View attachment 4847087

Middle is Trim I 38 in probably Gris Perle. The other 2 are BV Small Venetas. (Missing, small Veneta in black loaned to my mom.) (@Cookiefiend you asked about the not-silver bag. It changes in the light but is mostly bronze. I can see pure silver on the trim. If anyone has any suggestions for restoration, or even that frankly it should be abandoned, please jump in.) (Or if anyone knows the lady on Tradesy who was selling a special edition imprinted silver Veneta and has since disappeared, I am madly in love with your purse, please come back...)

I find it interesting that the Trim 38 is almost the largest that H made them, while the same size of Venetas is almost the smallest. Of course, the Trim is pretty stiff leather and the BVs squish and conform to the body more. But! If you're looking for that form factor there are many out there and they are so luxurious to the touch.

So my BF finds the not-silver BV to be the most beautiful purse ever seen. My mom, the black BV. I am madly enamored with the oxblood one. And I adore the gray Trim. (Grossly more heavy, but such a workhorse and we will not discuss how it shed shockingly pink currant juice like nothing.) So in short I'm too lucky. :smile:
A post after my own heart. I love the trim and have been eyeing these BV hobos. Yours are all so lovely. Interesting that I prefer the trim 31 - my larger one (35) is almost too big for me. This style is just so easy to wear!

Thanks for the details on the Yeoh bag - it was so informative. I was not familiar with this bag. The leather in the last picture looks amazing and soft.

The Trim 1 38 is not a big bag but the Trim II 35 is a big bag and the 38 HUGE.

The addition of the gusset makes a very big difference. It's the the same with the Gucci Bouvier and Jackie.

Trigger warning:
Nerd info:
My SA was quoting her in-house Jackie launch training this week and saying the Bouvier came out in 1957, which would make the Trim I (1958) an inspired 'copy' of the Bouvier. However, all taken with a mountain of salt as I've always read 1958 elsewhere including Gucci's own literature, this would make it same year as the Trim. I know Jackie Bouvier/Kennedy/O carried both brands and both versions of each. Even though both brands use the same pictures to promote the provenance of the brand's heritage, in different pics of the same bag taken from other angles, both companies (I'm sure unknowingly) have wrongly co-opted each other's bag (probably because the hardware is not visible in the pic). My assessment of Jackie, ever the diplomatic and discreet wife, she never corrected anybody and kept being a loyal customer to both brands.

At this point I would like to be let loose in both H and GG archives and do my own positivist research because I just don't trust the hype. Pretty sure that this year's relaunch Gucci Jackie was inspired by this year's relaunch of H's relaunch of the Trim though. In the marketing wars, atm, Gucci is winning because H are not making enough of it.

The addition of the gusset makes a very big difference. It's the the same with the Gucci Bouvier and Jackie.

Trigger warning:
Nerd info:
My SA was quoting her in-house Jackie launch training this week and saying the Bouvier came out in 1957, which would make the Trim I (1958) an inspired 'copy' of the Bouvier. However, all taken with a mountain of salt as I've always read 1958 elsewhere including Gucci's own literature, this would make it same year as the Trim. I know Jackie Bouvier/Kennedy/O carried both brands and both versions of each. Even though both brands use the same pictures to promote the provenance of the brand's heritage, in different pics of the same bag taken from other angles, both companies (I'm sure unknowingly) have wrongly co-opted each other's bag (probably because the hardware is not visible in the pic). My assessment of Jackie, ever the diplomatic and discreet wife, she never corrected anybody and kept being a loyal customer to both brands.

At this point I would like to be let loose in both H and GG archives and do my own positivist research because I just don't trust the hype. Pretty sure that this year's relaunch Gucci Jackie was inspired by this year's relaunch of H's relaunch of the Trim though. In the marketing wars, atm, Gucci is winning because H are not making enough of it.

So interesting! I love nerding out and learning more! Thanks @papertiger!

Thanks! I talked to my DH and he said I could wait to get something that I truly like since it was going to be his gift to me.
My vote is for the pretty little bucket bag. In general, I love the silhouette of buckets but find them to be black holes. However, I adore my mini Fendi Mon Tresor. It fits all my necessities but is small enough that nothing gets lost. In fact it’s one of my most convenient bags because it doesn’t have a top flap. I think you would find the same and be very happy with it.

I also think the Mulberry is much too close to the Prada you own. I don’t think it would add variety to your collection. Plus IMO, the Prada is prettier (though the Mulberry is a great looking bag).

And, I agree with DD buy what you truly adore and you won’t end up selling it. I wouldn’t say completely ignore resale because you do sell bags you tire of. But, I found that if I bite the bullet, wait to buy til my heart goes pitty pat and stop focusing on the price tag / deal so much my bags stay in my collection.

My vote is for the pretty little bucket bag. In general, I love the silhouette of buckets but find them to be black holes. However, I adore my mini Fendi Mon Tresor. It fits all my necessities but is small enough that nothing gets lost. In fact it’s one of my most convenient bags because it doesn’t have a top flap. I think you would find the same and be very happy with it.
I also like the silhouette of smallish bucket bags, I like that they lie close to your body at the top and don't get in the way.
But - they *can* be black holes, making a light interior a must.

Trigger warning:
Nerd info:

I find this info very interesting.

I also think the Mulberry is much too close to the Prada you own. I don’t think it would add variety to your collection. Plus IMO, the Prada is prettier (though the Mulberry is a great looking bag).

And, I agree with DD buy what you truly adore and you won’t end up selling it. I wouldn’t say completely ignore resale because you do sell bags you tire of. But, I found that if I bite the bullet, wait to buy til my heart goes pitty pat and stop focusing on the price tag / deal so much my bags stay in my collection.
Thanks! The little bucket is also mulberry. I had not thought about it being a smaller bag would make thing’s easy to find . It also has a little hand carry strap. I took a closer picture when I was there that day. I have taken the lilly off the table since I adore my Prada.
I did order a mystery tote plus 8 but not as part of my gift. I have just joined back to a social distancing art thing and will need a big sturdy bag to carry supplies.

27BB08AC-A2F4-4D1D-98E0-8565E274DA27.jpeg