Scarves Love it then leave it ,how do you curate your scarf collection?

Musing whether/how the Prieres au Vent on iPad screen fits into CSGMs....enuf to warrant it being a second CW in the design (the other being a 90 silk), and/or once comparing the two, one will go bye-bye:
View attachment 4527056

90 PaV on its way to me....
View attachment 4527057

Oh and yes, fell big for the Acte III pink/blue (marine/rose VIF) once in home & outside lighting. :love:

Actually I think it could work, the Appaloosa is cool brown tones and the PdV will be more warmer ones? Beautiful choices! How is the 90 collection / culling going?:flowers:

Actually I think it could work, the Appaloosa is cool brown tones and the PdV will be more warmer ones? Beautiful choices! How is the 90 collection / culling going?:flowers:

Heh, heh, I have been a very bad girl. More addition than subtraction in my equation. The “kids” are out of drawers airing today, so will probably fold on table and do a “to date” pik, re-assess before putting back in.

Decided to pull listings off the bay for a bit a few weeks ago, intend to relist items before Sunday during a promo to save 50% final value fees.

Reactions: Julide
Great questions! I’ll have to work a little harder to present worthy answers.
Overall—what I initially meant by “re-evaluation” was two-fold: 1) Where given this tiny collex do I want to go from here? And 2) should the re-home pile be considered for re-admittance based on color alone as I’ve gone overboard on pink/blue? Still working on that question.

Format is a big reason for the re-home pile: 1) 16in/42cm just don’t work for me even when I love the designs.
2) the 140cm MP moussie troubles me on bright greens as well as wrestling the format the one time I’ve actually worn it in 9 months.
3) just haven’t worn the MP bleu nuit pareo as such, nor the boldly colored “Zephyr” pareo.

Color/design repeats is a second reason for love/leave decision.
1) As much pinkish blue as I’ve purchased recently, H PINKs alone have proven hard for me: the 1980s Equateur 90cm in the rehome pile—never worn, and the pink/orange La Cite Cavaliere was returned to H.
2) the black dentelles/lace stole version of Toile d’Hermes—limited repeat should go now I have the crepe original.
3) If I decide I’m just a subdued-color kind of girl, the boldly colored Tous Les Bateaux du Monde comes into danger, otherwise CSGM is my mostest favorite format and material—-so soft and drapes so well! Just too hot to wear year-round so the 90 silks are more popular with me than I ever imagined—for their versatility and manageability.

Acquisition thoughts: I wanted to pull everything out to see overall colors as I consider acquiring past seasons’ 90s—Appaloosa des Steppes and ACTE 3.

As as a “scarf slut” with an “oh, squirrel” attention span, I am willing to drop silk and chase a grail or near grail....or just an “ooooohhh, that’s pretty!” Almost anytime. :P
On the pareos - did you intend to wear as sarongs or as scarves ?

Sarongs, then discovered what great “winter scarf” was the MP bleu nuit.
Found this summer I wasn’t wearing them as sarongs, so went on rehome pile.
H makes several sizes of pareos, and they don’t always work well as scarves - too much fabric, but it depends on the weight of the cotton
I got pareos out of my system the cheap way, I got a real Indian block printed one, which I quite like and used it to cover head and shoulders in Morocco, it was large enough for that, but unwieldy if you don’t want to cover so much

Reactions: Jbizzybeetle
I have been looking through my scarf drawer, and it seems to have been breeding....I also just made a really large purchase I need to pay our savings fund back for and so am beginning to sort through my dragon's horde again and figure out what I can stand to part with.

Recently, I have been more "numbers" focused on my scarves and it wasn't too hard to let things go that I wasn't wearing when I felt things "got out of hand". But now, I feel like most of what I have is "in balance" (if such a ridiculous thing can occur with this many silks) and still the numbers are high (pretty much always about the same total of 70+). The high numbers make me want to cull some more, just because...NUMBERS! :panic: But, I am happy with the ones I have, and the few that don't get a lot of wear because my color choices have drifted or the pattern isn't one I wear much right now (and so would be put in the "cull" pile) are sentimental now so I have reached a dilemma.

For those who've been collecting awhile, what do you do in this phase? Do you ignore your "numbers" and just let it simmer on the back burner? Or do you ruthlessly cull anyway?

Last edited:
Bunnycat, it sounds as if you should wait before releasing more scarves.
I think the number is immaterial, if you wear a scarf every day 70 isn’t too many!
I think my silk collection is modest because I don’t wear them regularly, I go through phases .
I find it easy to let 90cm go and never regret.
However the cashmeres I find impossible to let go, I never go off a design in CSGM but now am finding I have too many , because I’m longing to add more this season.

Bunnycat, it sounds as if you should wait before releasing more scarves.
I think the number is immaterial, if you wear a scarf every day 70 isn’t too many!
I think my silk collection is modest because I don’t wear them regularly, I go through phases .
I find it easy to let 90cm go and never regret.
However the cashmeres I find impossible to let go, I never go off a design in CSGM but now am finding I have too many , because I’m longing to add more this season.

I do wear a scarf most days from from. Even in summer! :whut: I think that is part of the dilemma. I feel like I have too much (numbers!! On noes!) but don't feel like parting with them yet, really. (But have that nasty, untidy little "upgrade loan" :rolleyes: to pay back too.) Still- the numbers are high enough that it keeps me from trying to add anything from current season (well and the prices hikes this year didn't help that either) so I continue to make the "no choice" choice right now, for the most part.

I do wear a scarf most days from from. Even in summer! :whut: I think that is part of the dilemma. I feel like I have too much (numbers!! On noes!) but don't feel like parting with them yet, really. (But have that nasty, untidy little "upgrade loan" :rolleyes: to pay back too.) Still- the numbers are high enough that it keeps me from trying to add anything from current season (well and the prices hikes this year didn't help that either) so I continue to make the "no choice" choice right now, for the most part.
+1 here.
If I am honest - I really don't need as many scarves as I have. But when I go through them, each one has a plus - be it sentimental, color, pattern, jacquard, it-only-goes-with-one-thing-and-it-does-that-so-well - that it makes no sense to let it go.
What I've been doing though, is to pull the ones I might be on the fence about and set them aside, or even list them to see if they sell. When they're not in the drawer, I have a bit more room, if they sell - then well it was meant to be. Sometimes while they're to the side or listed, I have second thoughts and put them to use again. Case in point - my Puzzle 2 - I wore it in the keys on my hat. :smile:
The cost of the new scarves has put a damper on my purchases too.
Plus it's nice to have a few scarves that maybe I don't :heart:love:heart: anymore. I don't feel bad if when I wear it something happens to it… I have come to the conclusion that Coco thinks they make excellent dog nose wipers. :nuts:

I have been looking through my scarf drawer, and it seems to have been breeding....I also just made a really large purchase I need to pay our savings fund back for and so am beginning to sort through my dragon's horde again and figure out what I can stand to part with.

Recently, I have been more "numbers" focused on my scarves and it wasn't too hard to let things go that I wasn't wearing when I felt things "got out of hand". But now, I feel like most of what I have is "in balance" (if such a ridiculous thing can occur with this many silks) and still the numbers are high (pretty much always about the same total of 70+). The high numbers make me want to cull some more, just because...NUMBERS! :panic: But, I am happy with the ones I have, and the few that don't get a lot of wear because my color choices have drifted or the pattern isn't one I wear much right now (and so would be put in the "cull" pile) are sentimental now so I have reached a dilemma.

For those who've been collecting awhile, what do you do in this phase? Do you ignore your "numbers" and just let it simmer on the back burner? Or do you ruthlessly cull anyway?
Numbers are an abstract thing ... get a new perspective , get em all out, dont fiddle on the computer
Try resorting your silks. You sort them now by some metric - new/used, pattern, fabric, color, size, in heavy rotation versus those not in heavy rotation, in season versus out of season. Well, go sort them another way ... It gives you a totally new perspective
Best explained with an example. I sorted by color but there were issues with that ... Never could find my turquoise ones - were they filed under blue or green ? So, one day, I totally arbitrarily resorted by artist. There is ONLY one artist (most of the time)
So, suddenly, I noticed ONESIES after the sort. Sorting by artist revealed that gee , I really dont like Faivre since I have only 1 of hers. My sort by size showed that my VS70s are all well worn, I really love that size ....
The resorts may reveal a completely new perspective that will help you let go, or at least provide hours of playtime

+1 here.
If I am honest - I really don't need as many scarves as I have. But when I go through them, each one has a plus - be it sentimental, color, pattern, jacquard, it-only-goes-with-one-thing-and-it-does-that-so-well - that it makes no sense to let it go.
What I've been doing though, is to pull the ones I might be on the fence about and set them aside, or even list them to see if they sell. When they're not in the drawer, I have a bit more room, if they sell - then well it was meant to be. Sometimes while they're to the side or listed, I have second thoughts and put them to use again. Case in point - my Puzzle 2 - I wore it in the keys on my hat. :smile:
Plus it's nice to have a few scarves that maybe I don't :heart:love:heart: anymore. I don't feel bad if when I wear it something happens to it… I have come to the conclusion that Coco thinks they make excellent dog nose wipers. :nuts:

Oooh- Coco is probably one of the most well heeled puppies on the planet now! :lol:

Numbers are an abstract thing ... get a new perspective , get em all out, dont fiddle on the computer
Try resorting your silks. You sort them now by some metric - new/used, pattern, fabric, color, size, in heavy rotation versus those not in heavy rotation, in season versus out of season. Well, go sort them another way ... It gives you a totally new perspective
Best explained with an example. I sorted by color but there were issues with that ... Never could find my turquoise ones - were they filed under blue or green ? So, one day, I totally arbitrarily resorted by artist. There is ONLY one artist (most of the time)
So, suddenly, I noticed ONESIES after the sort. Sorting by artist revealed that gee , I really dont like Faivre since I have only 1 of hers. My sort by size showed that my VS70s are all well worn, I really love that size ....
The resorts may reveal a completely new perspective that will help you let go, or at least provide hours of playtime

Sage advice.

Right now most are organized in a drawer with all 100s and 90s together (so far that is not an unmanageable number), pocket squares, then a few special ones kept boxed.

Moussies are stored together (complete disregard for order, color , or artist) just one box that has a label on it goes on top of the rest and I have a mental catalogue of what is where.

70's are all together right now, but based on your suggestions, I may try something new with those.

Cashmere's (yeah...I said never...never say never, Romeo Void) stay firmly locked up as we have a moth problem I have't got under control at this house (and they destroyed a wool rug, a kilt and a Philip Lim dress....)

But yes- maybe some rearranging would be fun. I do know exactly what I have (and how much it was) stored in a permanent mental catalogue in my head. That can't be helped and is just the way my brain works (and that is part of the problem too!). :lol:

I do know exactly what I have (and how much it was) stored in a permanent mental catalogue in my head. That can't be helped and is just the way my brain works (and that is part of the problem too!). :lol:
I too keep a mental inventory, but sorting is so tactile, let your fingers do the work, freely associate scarves and see which cheese stands alone ... ok a silly reference to a childhood song ...

Confession. I have yet to rehome anything. I have quite a few more than 70 scarves.
I occasionally think about re-homing some. So far step 1 is take a few and put them aside and see if I reach for t.hem.
Don’t be too hasty. Several times I have had a scarf I didn’t wear much, but then added a top or sweater to my wardrobe, and suddenly it was the perfect scarf for some clothing item. I have a lot of memories associated with most of my scarves which also makes it hard to part with them.

+1 here.

:lol::lol:

I too keep a mental inventory, but sorting is so tactile, let your fingers do the work, freely associate scarves and see which cheese stands alone ... ok a silly reference to a childhood song ...

Confession. I have yet to rehome anything. I have quite a few more than 70 scarves.
I occasionally think about re-homing some. So far step 1 is take a few and put them aside and see if I reach for t.hem.
Don’t be too hasty. Several times I have had a scarf I didn’t wear much, but then added a top or sweater to my wardrobe, and suddenly it was the perfect scarf for some clothing item. I have a lot of memories associated with most of my scarves which also makes it hard to part with them.

:lol::lol:

yes- mt and scarf- don't be hasty. That is so true. So may times this has happened with clothes where I finally get rid of something I can't figure out how to wear, and then right after that I find exactly the right thing for it. Doh! So far once I let a scarf go, I don't regret, but the ones in the mental rehome list right now are of a different order, so require much more thought (and a little less aggregate total obsessiveness).

I have reacted to that "numbers" panic also. One time, to my regret. I suggest waiting until this mood passes. Sentimental reasons are not to be ignored, even if the piece is waiting in its drawer for awhile. And guilt is a terrible motivator!