MJ Chat Thread

Have any of you shortened a hang tag on your own? Now that it's here, I think that the one on my bag is too long for my liking. I know I could just take it off, but then the bag looks "naked" in that spot. Any tips or tricks?

View attachment 4046472
Agreed that it looks too long. Can you double up the single strip of leather by looping it through twice? Or maybe connect it to the o ring on the strap or where the strap connects?

Reactions: JVSXOXO
I met a friend for lunch yesterday, and there’s an Off Saks in a nearby shopping center so I stopped in to see what’s what. I ended up getting this MJ bag as I needed a smaller, lighter weight shoulder bag than what I usually carry, but more structured than my Natasha. It’s a made for outlet style called the Empire City Messenger, but I like the setup better than the original. Has a pretty deep zip pocket in the front of the flap rather than the whole flap being a big pocket. If I didn’t know it was an outlet style, I wouldn’t be able to tell. The only tip off is no dust bag. Beyond that - great leather, substantial hardware and really well made. Plus love the Steel Grey color - it has a bit of an undertone of slate blue.
IMG_1130.jpg

I met a friend for lunch yesterday, and there’s an Off Saks in a nearby shopping center so I stopped in to see what’s what. I ended up getting this MJ bag as I needed a smaller, lighter weight shoulder bag than what I usually carry, but more structured than my Natasha. It’s a made for outlet style called the Empire City Messenger, but I like the setup better than the original. Has a pretty deep zip pocket in the front of the flap rather than the whole flap being a big pocket. If I didn’t know it was an outlet style, I wouldn’t be able to tell. The only tip off is no dust bag. Beyond that - great leather, substantial hardware and really well made. Plus love the Steel Grey color - it has a bit of an undertone of slate blue.
View attachment 4051760
Lovely choice! It's a classic style, and I'm partial to SHW.

I'm still curious how we're supposed to know which bags are mainline and which are *made for. Maybe the tags are different but I haven't been able to compare them. I thought the Marc Jacobs New York label would possibly become an outlet marker, but I noticed it's still on some of the mainline styles.

* we're all just acknowledging, though MJ won't, that there are made for outlet bags, right?

Lovely choice! It's a classic style, and I'm partial to SHW.

I'm still curious how we're supposed to know which bags are mainline and which are *made for. Maybe the tags are different but I haven't been able to compare them. I thought the Marc Jacobs New York label would possibly become an outlet marker, but I noticed it's still on some of the mainline styles.

* we're all just acknowledging, though MJ won't, that there are made for outlet bags, right?

Lol...I know. The only reason I really figured it out is because when I did a search for the style number, the results were mostly Nordstrom Rack.

Otherwise I am not really sure how we’re supposed to know. With this one, maybe because it has fewer embellishments? Not as much hardware, no charms, no dust bag. Definitely not from how it’s made...I would put this up against any of the current mainline bags. Would be nice if MJ would fess up...lots of brands do it...but most also have some type of differentiator...different lining, different name/logo graphics, wording on the tag, etc.

Lol...I know. The only reason I really figured it out is because when I did a search for the style number, the results were mostly Nordstrom Rack.

Otherwise I am not really sure how we’re supposed to know. With this one, maybe because it has fewer embellishments? Not as much hardware, no charms, no dust bag. Definitely not from how it’s made...I would put this up against any of the current mainline bags. Would be nice if MJ would fess up...lots of brands do it...but most also have some type of differentiator...different lining, different name/logo graphics, wording on the tag, etc.
I found this from January and while it doesn't say items are being made specifically for outlets, it's probably as close to an admission as we'll get.

Sounds like merging the lines isn't working out too well.

https://www.businessoffashion.com/a...lose-london-store-and-other-european-outposts
During LVMH’s annual meeting in April 2014, chief executive Bernard Arnaultsaid the Marc Jacobs business was generating a billion dollars a year in retail revenue, thought to include royalties from its partnership with Coty, which manufactures and distributes Marc Jacobs fragrances.

However, Marc Jacobs’ consolidated retail revenues, not including fragrance, have more than halved in the past three-to-four years, dropping from around $650 million to about $300 million, according to a source familiar with the business. (Industry analysts have also published similar estimates.) A significant proportion — from a quarter to a third — of Marc Jacobs' retail sales are generated by outlets, where the brand’s clothing and accessories are sold at a discount.

The drop in revenue can be traced to 2015, when LVMH announced its decision to unify Marc by Marc Jacobs and the main collection under a single brand umbrella, with British designer Luella Bartley and (accessories guru) Katie Hillier — who were hired in 2013 to craft a refreshed identity and product offering for the company's second line — leaving their posts. (Hillier continued to consult on accessories.)

Reactions: ElainePG
View attachment 4051760
Great color bag, eehlers. And that pocket in the front looks handy. Do you use it for your phone?

Reactions: Esquared72
Reactions: kateincali
Reactions: kateincali
Thanks for the link, @faith_ann . The article was interesting.
Shows how clueless I am... I never knew MJ was part of LVMH.
Additional useless info: Marc Jacobs himself only shares a 20% equal interest with Robert Duffy.

I crashed and burned spectacularly at starting my own business, so what do I know, but I don't understand why MBMJ was shuttered when it accounted for 80% of revenue. Wouldn't it have made more sense to expand MBMJ and scale down collection? Why not, say, 10 collection bags a season and a handful of those styles be new versions of popular bags like the stam and single? It seems like that would have given MJ an 'exclusive' feel again.

Reactions: ElainePG