MJ Chat Thread

Additional useless info: Marc Jacobs himself only shares a 20% equal interest with Robert Duffy.

I crashed and burned spectacularly at starting my own business, so what do I know, but I don't understand why MBMJ was shuttered when it accounted for 80% of revenue. Wouldn't it have made more sense to expand MBMJ and scale down collection? Why not, say, 10 collection bags a season and a handful of those styles be new versions of popular bags like the stam and single? It seems like that would have given MJ an 'exclusive' feel again.
Makes perfect sense to me.
Then again, I know from nothing about high finance.
Or any sort of retail, other than retail therapy.

Reactions: kateincali
Additional useless info: Marc Jacobs himself only shares a 20% equal interest with Robert Duffy.

I crashed and burned spectacularly at starting my own business, so what do I know, but I don't understand why MBMJ was shuttered when it accounted for 80% of revenue. Wouldn't it have made more sense to expand MBMJ and scale down collection? Why not, say, 10 collection bags a season and a handful of those styles be new versions of popular bags like the stam and single? It seems like that would have given MJ an 'exclusive' feel again.

I also found it interesting that Marc Jacobs only shares 20% equal interest with Robert Duffy.

I also wonder why if the MbMJ brand was so popular, it was discontinued. I really liked the MbMJ bags. Of course the collection bags were in a league of their own. Sadly now, I don’t think that the blended MJ brand really is a great representation of either.

I suppose it’s possible/probable that a lot of the business decisions are no longer even made by him. I’m not sure how involved in designing the bags he is either?

I looked up MJ’s estimated net worth, and the most recent figure I could find was $100 million. Maybe he’s happy to just live his life right now. I’m hoping that something inspires him to take a different path with his company/designs, but financially I guess he doesn’t really need to.

I think that I will probably always look at MJ’s bags, as long as they are made.

I am just hoping to find that Marc Jacobs bag that I have to have. I wish it was a new design, but right now it is a small Stam; or maybe a Paradise Kate ... [emoji3]

I am just hoping to find that Marc Jacobs bag that I have to have. I wish it was a new design, but right now it is a small Stam; or maybe a Paradise Kate ... [emoji3]
My Little Stam was one of the first bags I bought after I joined tPF (from another tPF member), when I first learned about MJ. Still love this bag, though it's a bit too small to use except on weekends. The leather is amazing.
LittleStam.jpg

I also found it interesting that Marc Jacobs only shares 20% equal interest with Robert Duffy.

I also wonder why if the MbMJ brand was so popular, it was discontinued. I really liked the MbMJ bags. Of course the collection bags were in a league of their own. Sadly now, I don’t think that the blended MJ brand really is a great representation of either.

I suppose it’s possible/probable that a lot of the business decisions are no longer even made by him. I’m not sure how involved in designing the bags he is either?

I looked up MJ’s estimated net worth, and the most recent figure I could find was $100 million. Maybe he’s happy to just live his life right now. I’m hoping that something inspires him to take a different path with his company/designs, but financially I guess he doesn’t really need to.

I think that I will probably always look at MJ’s bags, as long as they are made.

The contemporary creative director was recently fired and it sounds like MJ will be taking on a more active role (previously he was apparently mostly involved with runway). I hope that's a step in the right direction toward a more cohesive look.

I (obviously) highly recommend getting a Kate. It's lightweight and the perfect everyday bag. I have it in black and fuchsia and hope to add blue, green, and gray eventually.

Reactions: Mimmy
The contemporary creative director was recently fired and it sounds like MJ will be taking on a more active role (previously he was apparently mostly involved with runway). I hope that's a step in the right direction toward a more cohesive look.

I (obviously) highly recommend getting a Kate. It's lightweight and the perfect everyday bag. I have it in black and fuchsia and hope to add blue, green, and gray eventually.

Thanks for this article too!

MJ taking on a more active role again sounds promising to me.

I’m going to continue looking for a small Stam or Kate; or maybe both. Ack, I am really trying to continue to downsize the amount of stuff that I own!

Hello! Haven’t been here in awhile since MJ has become zzz recently with all the changes :sad: hope MJ coming back will help turn things around! I miss the MBMJ days and am puzzled as well why they ended it

But, I do want to chime in as well - love the Kate! It’s the only MJ bag I have left! Was a pain to find as well, I’m still envious of faith’s fuchsia one [emoji12]

Hello! Haven’t been here in awhile since MJ has become zzz recently with all the changes :sad: hope MJ coming back will help turn things around! I miss the MBMJ days and am puzzled as well why they ended it

But, I do want to chime in as well - love the Kate! It’s the only MJ bag I have left! Was a pain to find as well, I’m still envious of faith’s fuchsia one [emoji12]

Hey, nice to see you post! Hope you’re well.

I do love mine but am still haunted by the true pink one that I saw on Posh years ago. It was $$$ and the user was deactivated anyway. Only one I ever saw.

Hey, nice to see you post! Hope you’re well.

I do love mine but am still haunted by the true pink one that I saw on Posh years ago. It was $$$ and the user was deactivated anyway. Only one I ever saw.

Omg true pink? I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that. I barely ever see any at all, there like the MJ unicorn aside from the sweet punk line.

I’ve been well, just been busy adulting - being responsible and putting myself on ban island until I sell stuff to fund new bags. I did snag a AW iridescent Rocco though, hopefully it’s legit and ok condition since seller seems iffy - I had to repurchase this bag after I sold mine last yr, just can’t do without unicorn iridescent bags and kept thinking about it.. it was a pain to find again though!

How are you? Still in SD area?

Omg true pink? I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that. I barely ever see any at all, there like the MJ unicorn aside from the sweet punk line.

I’ve been well, just been busy adulting - being responsible and putting myself on ban island until I sell stuff to fund new bags. I did snag a AW iridescent Rocco though, hopefully it’s legit and ok condition since seller seems iffy - I had to repurchase this bag after I sold mine last yr, just can’t do without unicorn iridescent bags and kept thinking about it.. it was a pain to find again though!

How are you? Still in SD area?

Yeah, still near downtown SD. I'm trying to relocate up toward LA for a job but it's been tough.

I wish I had thought to save a photo of it. I don't remember pink being a listed color so I'm nearly certain it was a sample.

I hope the AW works out for you! Everyone needs at least one iridescent bag in their life.

I'm not buying these days but I occasionally look and you're right, you never see sweet punks listed anymore, aside from bisque Debbie's in poor condition. I have most of the SPs that I wanted but hopefully I'll get my hands on the rest of them eventually.

A couple PFers took a few bags off my hand this weekend, which motivated me to do a final once over. Since I haven’t purchased anything in ages, I’m running out of bags to convince myself to part with.

Talk me into keeping or talk me out of it.

IMG_7084.jpg
1. Memphis Jennifer. 85% convinced I should let it go. I do like the colors but I’ve also had it five years without using it.

2. Garbo Single Crossbody. I would likely keep this if I hadn’t dropped it - it has a few small scuffs/marks now and I wonder if I’m too clumsy for a light bag. I have a Garbo Camille that the same color (but different finish/not quilted, so it’s slightly lighter) but the Camille is a more ‘adult’ bag.

IMG_7085.jpg
3. Green Gotham. Love it. I just wish it had a crossbody strap.

4. Red Mate. It’s pretty but my large red Single is a similar shade, though with SHW.

IMG_7086.jpg
5. Ostrich Multipockets. I’ve listed these on/off for awhile. I can’t tell if I like them or if I like that they’re hard to find. I’m not a huge fan of the strap drop on either.

6. Wristlet. I don’t know. It’s fun but maybe too girly for me. Good for concerts and the like, though.

IMG_7080.jpg
7. I have several scarves but don’t wear scarves. Blue is the one color scarf I have that I’m most likely to not wear, so I guess this is a no brainer. But if I was going to own a blue scarf, it would have studs and be paisley.

A couple PFers took a few bags off my hand this weekend, which motivated me to do a final once over. Since I haven’t purchased anything in ages, I’m running out of bags to convince myself to part with.

View attachment 4061309
1. Memphis Jennifer. 85% convinced I should let it go. I do like the colors but I’ve also had it five years without using it.

2. Garbo Single Crossbody. I would likely keep this if I hadn’t dropped it - it has a few small scuffs/marks now and I wonder if I’m too clumsy for a light bag. I have a Garbo Camille that the same color (but different finish/not quilted, so it’s slightly lighter) but the Camille is a more ‘adult’ bag.

View attachment 4061311

4. Red Mate. It’s pretty but my large red Single is a similar shade, though with SHW.

View attachment 4061313
5. Ostrich Multipockets. I’ve listed these on/off for awhile. I can’t tell if I like them or if I like that they’re hard to find. I’m not a huge fan of the strap drop on either.

6. Wristlet. I don’t know. It’s fun but maybe too girly for me. Good for concerts and the like, though.

View attachment 4061315
7. I have several scarves but don’t wear scarves. Blue is the one color scarf I have that I’m most likely to not wear, so I guess this is a no brainer. But if I was going to own a blue scarf, it would have studs and be paisley.
To keep or not to keep is such a difficult game! I'm not familiar with most of the bags you posted, so maybe I'm not the best person to be giving advice... :angel:
1. Memphis Jennifer - If you’ve had this bag for 5 years without using it AND when you pull it out now aren’t excited to start using it, I would let it go. The chain strap is pretty cool though.

2. Garbo Single Crossbody – I think this is a cute bag, but do the scuffs really bother you? Can you buff them out?

3. Green Gotham – I’m not familiar with this bag, does it have loops where you can attach a strap if you had one? You could always use it as an accessory bag for when you travel and put it in your suitcase. Either way, I think you should keep it.

4. Red Mate – I’m on the fence about this one. Do you really like to match your hardware to your outfit and maybe need both options? (Is that something people do?) Otherwise, they are pretty similar but the Single is a bit more classic looking, could just be the rectangular shape vs square shape.

5. Ostrich multipockets – I totally get wanting to hang onto something because it’s hard to find. That makes it really hard for me to be objective when getting rid of stuff. What if I change my mind after getting rid of it? Would I be devastated? And sometimes the answer is yes, so I put it back in my closet until I forget about it, only to discover it the next time a closet clean-out is in order Then, I ask myself the same question. For me, it’s been easier to let stuff go this way. What about just keeping your favorite one of the two?

6. Wristlet- This is cute. If you have a use for it, I would keep it.

7. Scarf – Let it go. But before you do, lay it out and take a pic of it. It might look really awesome as a picture hanging on your wall. Then again, I guess you could frame the scarf itself, but then you wouldn’t make any bank on it…but it would always be there if you one day became a scarf lady:nuts:

View attachment 4061309

View attachment 4061311

View attachment 4061313

View attachment 4061315

This is a really hard question, faith_ann. For the last couple of years I have been doing a fairly major closet purge. I have tried to be ruthless. My opinion is going to be biased towards letting things go.

1. Memphis Jennifer- based on lack of wear, I would sell.
2. Garbo crossbody- sounds like you really like this bag still, keep for now.
3. Green Gotham-since it’s love, keep.
4. Mate in red- since you really like your red single more, sell.
5. Ostrich multipockets- these are tough for me to say sell on because they are rare. I recently sold a Gucci bag that previously was one of my favorites. I don’t think that I will ever find another one in this leather in great condition, but I’m still glad that I sold it. I just wasn’t reaching for it anymore. So I will say sell, with reservations.
6. Wristlet- since you have a use for it, keep. Resale on MJ slg’s is not great right now. It’s also very cute and pink!
7. Scarf-love this! If you don’t think that you will wear it though, sell. What is resale on MJ scarfs like?

These of course are just my thoughts and may be the wrong decisions for you. [emoji53]

I really appreciate the input @Mimmy and @BigTexy :smile:

1. Letting the Jennifer go (finally) is the reasonable thing to do. I like the colors, but I could always eventually replace it with a different Memphis style that would work better for me, like the Robert Leslie
MARC-JACOBS-Leather-Quilted-Robert-Leslie-Bag-Black-2.jpg

2. Garbo Single. Undecided so setting aside for now. The scuffs/marks do bother me, but they aren't major. I might get over it.

3. Green Gotham. @BigTexy Oh, how I wish I went anywhere and had that use for it. I could attach another strap but the problem is finding something that doesn't clash with the green. Maybe I should have mentioned that I have it in black, too, and since it has a crossbody strap, I use it often. I might just try the green at a higher price with a best offer and see if it does anything.
0154d3d2699b19e010f723989c1e5e2ae0b1abad7b.jpg

4. Red Mate. @BigTexy No, I don't match hardware to anything I'm wearing, but it really is too similar to the single that I prefer. I think this goes into the same box as the Jennifer.

5. Ostrich Multipockets. OK, if @Mimmy can sell a bag that was one of her favorites and not regret it, I can sell a bag(s) that isn't even in my top ten.

6. MBMJ wristlet. I forgot that I have a Gotham wristlet that's more my style (it's a different shade of pink IRL) so I think the MBMJ needs to go.
Authentic%20Winter%20Order%20cheap%20Marc%20Jacobs%20Gotham%20Zip%20Phone%20Wristlet%20Begonia%208719872.jpg

7. Scarf. @BigTexy Framing it is a fun idea, but I'm big on the modern minimalism style so that wouldn't work for me.

@Mimmy I don't know what scarves sell for these days. It's not much of a factor with this, though...unless it's only like $10. I'll just list it with a best offer and see what happens.

I also won't use the black version of it that I have, either, but it's black so I don't care.
20431729_1902750763085430_477828643946164573_n.jpg

Reactions: BigTexy and Mimmy
I really appreciate the input @Mimmy and @BigTexy :smile:

1. Letting the Jennifer go (finally) is the reasonable thing to do. I like the colors, but I could always eventually replace it with a different Memphis style that would work better for me, like the Robert Leslie
MARC-JACOBS-Leather-Quilted-Robert-Leslie-Bag-Black-2.jpg

2. Garbo Single. Undecided so setting aside for now. The scuffs/marks do bother me, but they aren't major. I might get over it.

3. Green Gotham. @BigTexy Oh, how I wish I went anywhere and had that use for it. I could attach another strap but the problem is finding something that doesn't clash with the green. Maybe I should have mentioned that I have it in black, too, and since it has a crossbody strap, I use it often. I might just try the green at a higher price with a best offer and see if it does anything.
View attachment 4062660

4. Red Mate. @BigTexy No, I don't match hardware to anything I'm wearing, but it really is too similar to the single that I prefer. I think this goes into the same box as the Jennifer.

5. Ostrich Multipockets. OK, if @Mimmy can sell a bag that was one of her favorites and not regret it, I can sell a bag(s) that isn't even in my top ten.

6. MBMJ wristlet. I forgot that I have a Gotham wristlet that's more my style (it's a different shade of pink IRL) so I think the MBMJ needs to go.
Authentic%20Winter%20Order%20cheap%20Marc%20Jacobs%20Gotham%20Zip%20Phone%20Wristlet%20Begonia%208719872.jpg

7. Scarf. @BigTexy Framing it is a fun idea, but I'm big on the modern minimalism style so that wouldn't work for me.

@Mimmy I don't know what scarves sell for these days. It's not much of a factor with this, though...unless it's only like $10. I'll just list it with a best offer and see what happens.

I also won't use the black version of it that I have, either, but it's black so I don't care.
View attachment 4062669

This may sound tacky, but can you use the strap from your black Gotham on your green one? Granted...it’s not a color match but would be a hardware match. I feel like with crossbody bags you can get away with different color straps - or maybe look into a patterned guitar style strap that might have that shade of green in it? It looks similar to the green of my Wellington french wallet which I love....it’s a great shade of green.

This may sound tacky, but can you use the strap from your black Gotham on your green one? Granted...it’s not a color match but would be a hardware match. I feel like with crossbody bags you can get away with different color straps - or maybe look into a patterned guitar style strap that might have that shade of green in it? It looks similar to the green of my Wellington french wallet which I love....it’s a great shade of green.

I’ve considered that but wasn’t sure how much I liked the black and green combo. It would be convenient, though.