Post your fur items!

For evening I'd stick to a shorter length. They look better over long and trousers. If you usually wear cocktail dresses it will depend on the shape of your preferred style of dress.

The blue is a dyed cross-mink with a short collar, browns are usually natural (the one's shown look demi-buff and one you've shown has a stand up collar and the other seems collarless. So they are a bit different. I suspect the longer length has bracelet length sleeves and not full.

To make the new one more different you could go for a contrasting and more glam collar (and/or cuffs) in fox, contrasting shade of mink or sable. You could also have a detail like buttons rather than clips or some other feature with the closures. You could also go for one to the knee that's belted and has more swing...the possibilities are endless.

Thank you papertiger! You seem to be an expert on everything in these forums :smile:. I actually didn’t know there’s a difference between full length and bracelet length, I just knew I don’t like 3/4 sleeves. I think bracelet length would be good for evening, my blue coat has really long flared sleeves that cover my hands if I have my arms down at my sides. For evenings I usually wear cocktail dresses and the occasional long dress. Do you think it looks bad if the coat is longer than the dress?

I think I would look at different styles of collars and buttons to differentiate it from the first one and maybe a belt. I like the cuffs idea but I’m worried I won’t be able to wear I casually then. Maybe on another coat in the future :P

What do you ladies think of this vintage sable fur vest? I’m considering buying it and think I could get the seller to come down to $350-400. Listing says it’s from 1965, so are there concerns I should have purchasing a fur garment this age? Is this even a fair price for vintage sable? The seller says it is a size 6 and I am typically a US 2 in outerwear, but this looks kind of small to me? I’ve shared some pictures from the listing! Not sure if this is the best thread to post it, but all you ladies are SO knowledgeable on fur. IMG_7864.jpgIMG_7865.jpgIMG_7866.jpgIMG_7867.jpgIMG_7868.jpgIMG_7869.jpgIMG_7870.jpgIMG_7871.jpg

What do you ladies think of this vintage sable fur vest? I’m considering buying it and think I could get the seller to come down to $350-400. Listing says it’s from 1965, so are there concerns I should have purchasing a fur garment this age? Is this even a fair price for vintage sable? The seller says it is a size 6 and I am typically a US 2 in outerwear, but this looks kind of small to me? I’ve shared some pictures from the listing! Not sure if this is the best thread to post it, but all you ladies are SO knowledgeable on fur. View attachment 3976844View attachment 3976845View attachment 3976846View attachment 3976847View attachment 3976848View attachment 3976849View attachment 3976850View attachment 3976851
It's beautiful!! I really like how it's cut!!

Reactions: pianolize
Me too!! I’ll be traveling for the next couple weeks but hopefully it will still be here when I get back! Do you think there are any specific problems I should be concerned about with this piece?
Personally, I would ask questions about wear, matting, loss of guard hair, rubbing, ect in areas like the hem, arm holes, in the front along the edges, collar, ect. You can ask about the history of the vest & if it's been properly stored during the warm months. (The seller may or may not know the answer to this.

Thank you papertiger! You seem to be an expert on everything in these forums :smile:. I actually didn’t know there’s a difference between full length and bracelet length, I just knew I don’t like 3/4 sleeves. I think bracelet length would be good for evening, my blue coat has really long flared sleeves that cover my hands if I have my arms down at my sides. For evenings I usually wear cocktail dresses and the occasional long dress. Do you think it looks bad if the coat is longer than the dress?

I think I would look at different styles of collars and buttons to differentiate it from the first one and maybe a belt. I like the cuffs idea but I’m worried I won’t be able to wear I casually then. Maybe on another coat in the future :P

The rule used to be coats should always be the same or longer than a dress, in the same way people preferred either floor sweeping minks or jackets/boleros/stoles for evening and nothing mid-length but I don't think that holds true any longer. I've seen midi mink wrap-coats over long and stroller lengths worn just showing a lace hem and so on, it looks more contemporary anyway.

Cheers to the future nr. 3 ha ha

What do you ladies think of this vintage sable fur vest? I’m considering buying it and think I could get the seller to come down to $350-400. Listing says it’s from 1965, so are there concerns I should have purchasing a fur garment this age? Is this even a fair price for vintage sable? The seller says it is a size 6 and I am typically a US 2 in outerwear, but this looks kind of small to me? I’ve shared some pictures from the listing! Not sure if this is the best thread to post it, but all you ladies are SO knowledgeable on fur. View attachment 3976844View attachment 3976845View attachment 3976846View attachment 3976847View attachment 3976848View attachment 3976849View attachment 3976850View attachment 3976851

I think sizes have become more generous since the 1960s (fashion marketing calls it 'vanity sizing')

It's certainly an amazing price if it's correctly described. And ask directly before you buy if they are sure this sable and not sable coloured mink.

Look over it very carefully outside the second you receive it. Shake it and stroke it to see if any hairs fall out etc, no pre-loved furs should even come in through the door unless thoroughly checked over first.

Last edited:
Personally, I think the price is on the high side 1. because Canadian sable is cheaper than Russian sable, 2. it looks like regular mink to me, and 3. it’s extremely vintage to boot! You could get a full length coat for that price! Good luck with whatever you decide!

The rule used to be coats should always be the same or longer than a dress, in the same way people preferred either floor sweeping minks or jackets/boleros/stoles for evening and nothing mid-length but I don't think that holds true any longer. I've seen midi mink wrap-coats over long and stroller lengths worn just showing a lace hem and so on, it looks more contemporary anyway.

Cheers to the future nr. 3 ha ha
I still prefer the hem of the coat to be longer than what’s worn beneath. The only exceptions for me is if it’s a bolero or stole or if you wear the coat with jeans.