My first "big" Chanel bag: Flap or Boy?

That's interesting! I did like the jacket boy in last year's A/W collection, but I don't like the crinkly calfskin that this season's version uses. When did you get yours? :smile:

Right? I ended up reaching for my black jumbo more than the black boy. The regular boy just doesn't do it for me. And trust me, the lamb on a black flap...no competition!

I got my boy jacket in June ;] It's light pink lamb with the gold border. The silver one that just came out is actually STUNNING. Here's a video of a girl that just got it.

IMG_1505317676.532499.jpg

Here's the video. At the 10:42 Mark. It looks better in real life than in photos. Something to consider!

Reactions: glena0710
Right? I ended up reaching for my black jumbo more than the black boy. The regular boy just doesn't do it for me. And trust me, the lamb on a black flap...no competition!

I got my boy jacket in June ;] It's light pink lamb with the gold border. The silver one that just came out is actually STUNNING. Here's a video of a girl that just got it.

View attachment 3823412

Here's the video. At the 10:42 Mark. It looks better in real life than in photos. Something to consider!

You made my decision 10 times harder :sad: lol
That silver boy is seriously stunning! If I can track it down, I think I might get that one!

That's interesting! I did like the jacket boy in last year's A/W collection, but I don't like the crinkly calfskin that this season's version uses. When did you get yours? :smile:

You made my decision 10 times harder :sad: lol
That silver boy is seriously stunning! If I can track it down, I think I might get that one!
GIRL LOL! I just made my life harder because I think I want one too!!! I vote for the silver boy! You can always get the classic flap after your next promotion! hehe

If I was going to get a new Chanel bag I would go for the Boy, my dream would be in whichever medium size is bigger, black lambskin, chevron, ruthenium or gold hardware. I don't know if that's even available as I'm really not looking, it's more than I probably want to spend. I just love the look though! I guess I satisfied myself for now with my Rebecca Minkoff Love Crossbody black chevron gunmetal :biggrin:

I used to love the look of the classic flaps but now I'm just not as excited by them, I don't know why. I do prefer their leather lining vs. fabric lining. Resale might be better on a classic flap too if that matters to you at all.

But I think when spending this much you have to go with your true love, not just what makes more "sense" or what's a better "deal" or any of that. Better to wait and get what you really want, even if it ends up costing a little bit more.

Reactions: pfsheen
Hope this picture helps you with the decision. I'm including my unboxing video with the mod shots. I talk about my experience with the CF. Go with what makes your sing but If you're going to pick the Boy Bag, I would suggest you stick with either Calfskin or Caviar. Good luck
IMG_3362 (2).JPG

Last edited:
For my first Chanel, I bought a Bleu Roi So Black Classic Flap. I had to decide between that one and a blue boy and honestly, I thought I HAD to go with a classic one although the boy made my heart sing. Also, the SA and my better half talked me into the classic one. Not that I don't love her, but the CF fits less than I had hoped and I also love wearing bags cross-body. Hence, the beautiful bag is sitting in my closet now :/ Listen to your heart and choose the one you feel most drawn to!

Congrats on the job offer and bonus!!

I personally would recommend flap if you like both because it is so classic Chanel. It's such a dressy bag that really elevates your look. Plus, then you can get a caviar boy down the line that is able to take more of a beating that you can wear more everyday :smile:

Hi hun, I am looking into getting this exact boy on the resale market, was wondering how do you like the bag and does the special clasp add weight to the bag?

I love it so much! I wasn't sure at first if I like the leather on the clasp but now I'm glad I chose this one, and no it's doesn't add the weight.

CONGRATS on your new job!! Exciting times ahead. :smile:
As a person who owns both (two jumbos- one single flap black GHW, one crumpled calfskin so black HW and one medium ruthenium HW), I would have to say get a classic flap first!
As you mentioned, the boy bag has a fabric lining, which makes it feel less luxurious. It's a fun bag don't get me wrong but as a first big Chanel purchase, it it doesn't make your heart sing don't go for it.
If possible, it might be nice to hold out and get a harder to get flap like one in caviar or so black/rainbow hardware.

Everyone, thank you so much for all of your help :heart:
I've decided on getting the boy. It's just been the one I've always wanted, even if it's less luxurious and iconic than the flap.

I ordered the silver boy from the recent Act II collection. It came in the mail and it was just. not. me. It's a very dramatic and beautiful piece, but too overwhelming for my sense - the silver lambskin used for the classic flaps seems more toned-down. I think it would be perfect for fashion bloggers or someone who extensively collects Boys. I didn't even take photos because I didn't want to remove any paper so I could return it. Sorry everyone :sad:

I'm now searching for the perfect Boy~ lol
I love the So Blacks but I'm worried about the chipping.
Honestly, I know I should wait to find the perfect bag, but I feel compelled to buy soon because a price increase seems likely! Such a dilemma :sad:

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_2017-09-19-17-47-29_Photo_1.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_2017-09-19-17-47-29_Photo_1.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 336
Reactions: DreamingBeauty