My first "big" Chanel bag: Flap or Boy?

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Right? I ended up reaching for my black jumbo more than the black boy. The regular boy just doesn't do it for me. And trust me, the lamb on a black flap...no competition!

I got my boy jacket in June ;] It's light pink lamb with the gold border. The silver one that just came out is actually STUNNING. Here's a video of a girl that just got it.

IMG_1505317676.532499.jpg

Here's the video. At the 10:42 Mark. It looks better in real life than in photos. Something to consider!

gracecska likes this.
  2. You made my decision 10 times harder :sad: lol
    That silver boy is seriously stunning! If I can track it down, I think I might get that one!

3. Right? I ended up reaching for my black jumbo more than the black boy. The regular boy just doesn't do it for me. And trust me, the lamb on a black flap...no competition!

I got my boy jacket in June ;] It's light pink lamb with the gold border. The silver one that just came out is actually STUNNING. Here's a video of a girl that just got it.
    GIRL LOL! I just made my life harder because I think I want one too!!! I vote for the silver boy! You can always get the classic flap after your next promotion! hehe

4. If I was going to get a new Chanel bag I would go for the Boy, my dream would be in whichever medium size is bigger, black lambskin, chevron, ruthenium or gold hardware. I don't know if that's even available as I'm really not looking, it's more than I probably want to spend. I just love the look though! I guess I satisfied myself for now with my Rebecca Minkoff Love Crossbody black chevron gunmetal :biggrin:

I used to love the look of the classic flaps but now I'm just not as excited by them, I don't know why. I do prefer their leather lining vs. fabric lining. Resale might be better on a classic flap too if that matters to you at all.

But I think when spending this much you have to go with your true love, not just what makes more "sense" or what's a better "deal" or any of that. Better to wait and get what you really want, even if it ends up costing a little bit more.

pfsheen likes this.
  5. #20 Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Hope this picture helps you with the decision. I'm including my unboxing video with the mod shots. I talk about my experience with the CF. Go with what makes your sing but If you're going to pick the Boy Bag, I would suggest you stick with either Calfskin or Caviar. Good luck
    IMG_3362 (2).JPG

6. I had the same dilemma with my first Chanel bag (first one that I bought by myself) and I went with boy, I feel like it suits me and my style better IMG_1505795266.671294.jpg

7. For my first Chanel, I bought a Bleu Roi So Black Classic Flap. I had to decide between that one and a blue boy and honestly, I thought I HAD to go with a classic one although the boy made my heart sing. Also, the SA and my better half talked me into the classic one. Not that I don't love her, but the CF fits less than I had hoped and I also love wearing bags cross-body. Hence, the beautiful bag is sitting in my closet now :/ Listen to your heart and choose the one you feel most drawn to!

8. Congrats on the job offer and bonus!!

I personally would recommend flap if you like both because it is so classic Chanel. It's such a dressy bag that really elevates your look. Plus, then you can get a caviar boy down the line that is able to take more of a beating that you can wear more everyday :smile:

9. Hi hun, I am looking into getting this exact boy on the resale market, was wondering how do you like the bag and does the special clasp add weight to the bag?

10. I love it so much! I wasn't sure at first if I like the leather on the clasp but now I'm glad I chose this one, and no it's doesn't add the weight.

11. CF! I'm not a fan of the Boy.

12. CONGRATS on your new job!! Exciting times ahead. :smile:
    As a person who owns both (two jumbos- one single flap black GHW, one crumpled calfskin so black HW and one medium ruthenium HW), I would have to say get a classic flap first!
    As you mentioned, the boy bag has a fabric lining, which makes it feel less luxurious. It's a fun bag don't get me wrong but as a first big Chanel purchase, it it doesn't make your heart sing don't go for it.
    If possible, it might be nice to hold out and get a harder to get flap like one in caviar or so black/rainbow hardware.

13. I think she already decided on the boy bag everyone haha. Hopefully she posts some pictures soon!!

14. Go with what makes your heart sing & make sure you take the time to wait for your bag to arrive. Don't rush your decision. Make sure you absolutely love your bag.

15. Everyone, thank you so much for all of your help :heart:
    I've decided on getting the boy. It's just been the one I've always wanted, even if it's less luxurious and iconic than the flap.

I ordered the silver boy from the recent Act II collection. It came in the mail and it was just. not. me. It's a very dramatic and beautiful piece, but too overwhelming for my sense - the silver lambskin used for the classic flaps seems more toned-down. I think it would be perfect for fashion bloggers or someone who extensively collects Boys. I didn't even take photos because I didn't want to remove any paper so I could return it. Sorry everyone :sad:

I'm now searching for the perfect Boy~ lol
    I love the So Blacks but I'm worried about the chipping.
    Honestly, I know I should wait to find the perfect bag, but I feel compelled to buy soon because a price increase seems likely! Such a dilemma :sad:

KakaoTalk_2017-09-19-17-47-29_Photo_1.jpeg
    DreamingBeauty likes this.