Louis Vuitton X Supreme

Are you a fan of the Louis Vuitton x Supreme collab ?

• Total voters
Can someone please educate me about Supreme?

As people have said before me, it's a streetwear brand in the vein of Yeezy, etc generally associated with a more nouveau riche crowd. It's interesting because quite honestly womenswear is pretty stagnant right now, everything interesting is happening on the menswear front. Because of this huge boom in menswear, "street" brands have become increasingly popular because they are seen as a way for men to be super into fashion while staying "traditionally masculine".

I think LV is totally selling out and cheapening the brand. Supreme lives on "hype" --yes the store here in NYC has a line literally every day and yes some of the pieces have near Birkin-level exclusivity- but Supreme isn't a luxury brand. LV is (or at least used to be).

To me, it feels like a cheap grab for headlines. Many of their prime customers feel alienated by a brand they once felt a deep connection with.

But I also think I'm the minority here--I'm a 24 year old male in NYC and I think most of my peers disagree with me. If nothing else, I'm no longer saving for the LV bag I was saving for. My wallet will thank me haha.

Sorry for the long rant. [emoji28]

As people have said before me, it's a streetwear brand in the vein of Yeezy, etc generally associated with a more nouveau riche crowd.IMG_1485557870.982510.jpg".

I think LV is totally selling out and cheapening the brand. Supreme lives on "hype" --yes the store here in NYC has a line literally every day and yes some of the pieces have near Birkin-level exclusivity- but Supreme isn't a luxury brand. LV is (or at least used to be).

To me, it feels like a cheap grab for headlines. Many of their prime customers feel alienated by a brand they once felt a deep connection with.

But I also think I'm the minority here--I'm a 24 year old male in NYC and I think most of my peers disagree with me. If nothing else, I'm no longer saving for the LV bag I was saving for. My wallet will thank me haha.

Sorry for the long rant. [emoji28]

Ever since Marc Jacobs collaborated with Stephen Sprouse, the brand has enjoyed successful collabs with artists. I see nothing different about this one, which is reminiscent of collaborations with graffiti artists back in 2013. How you spend your money is up to you, as are your views of the brand. The brand's revenue from sales of this collection will speak for itself.

http://www.refinery29.com/2013/02/43634/louis-vuitto

Ever since Marc Jacobs collaborated with Stephen Sprouse, the brand has enjoyed successful collabs with artists. I see nothing different about this one, which is reminiscent of collaborations with graffiti artists back in 2013. How you spend your money is up to you, as are your views of the brand. The brand's revenue from sales of this collection will speak for itself.

Oh totally! I have no doubt the stuff will sell exceptionally well.

I just see Supreme as a brand and not an artist. It just feels a bit like selling out. Profit over design.

But handbags are so competitive and fashion is fickle. I don't blame them for wanting to make a splash. Maybe I need to stop being snobby and jump on board haha.

It may give them street cred and appeal to a new demographic, but I'm not sure that teenage skateboarders are a sustainable customer base. Whatever one's opinion of rich, middle-aged women, they tend to be brand loyal and keep couture and luxury brands alive regardless of economic swings. It will be interesting to see if LV is able to hold its status as a luxury brand (or if they even want to) if they evolve into a younger, trendier fashion house. Great to see a brand taking risks, but fashion winds are notoriously fickle. In any case, I'm enjoying the spectacle.

Last edited:
It may give them street cred and appeal to a new demographic, but I'm not sure that teenage skateboarders are a sustainable customer base. Whatever one's opinion of middle-aged bourgeois women, they tend to be brand loyal and have large disposable incomes, so they're the demographic that keeps couture and luxury brands alive regardless of economic swings. It will be interesting to see if LV is able to hold its status as a luxury brand (or if they even want to) if they evolve into a younger, trendier fashion house. It is great to see a brand taking risks, but fashion winds are notoriously fickle. In any case, I'm enjoying the spectacle.
This is the men's fashion show! They don't need to appeal to women!

This is the men's fashion show! They don't need to appeal to women!

That's probably what they're thinking. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Do people distinguish between Louis Vuitton Women's line and Louis Vuitton Men? I have no idea. If so, it could be a brilliant way to take risks with the men's line and leave the women's unscathed. If people only perceive LV the brand as a whole, then it may have a different result. Fun times. :smile:

Reactions: AndreaM99
That's probably what they're thinking. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Do people distinguish between Louis Vuitton Women's line and Louis Vuitton Men? I have no idea. If so, it could be a brilliant way to take risks with the men's line and leave the women's unscathed. If people only perceive LV the brand as a whole, then it may have a different result. Fun times. :smile:
The reality is that most LV buyers can't afford anything in the RTW line. That line is more for the prestige of Louis Vuitton than anything else. People buy bags, SLGs, accessories, and shoes. RTW is a tiny part of LV's business. It's a great way to create buzz, get the brand on the red carpet, etc...

The reality is that most LV buyers can't afford anything in the RTW line. That line is more for the prestige of Louis Vuitton than anything else. People buy bags, SLGs, accessories, and shoes. RTW is a tiny part of LV's business. It's a great way to create buzz, get the brand on the red carpet, etc...

I've been lucky, being able to wear LV RTW for a long time. What is remarkable about LV is that the clothes have always been wearable. You wanted (literally) the ENTIRE collection. LV could always be counted on for delicious, perfect clothes. Never trying too hard--just clean and flawless. Something has changed. I like NG but the Spring RTW was odd. There were really swoon-y pieces like a sleek, buttery black leather biker jacket... but then something totally unwearable would come down the aisle, like the pond-scum colored pantsuit with the armpits cut out of the jacket (????). Or curious things with puffy sleeves or weird cuts or flapping wings. Interesting...

Reactions: Sami Handbags
Anyone have any info re prices? I'm really loving this piece...View attachment 3587817
It's based on a bag called Danube, which has been discontinued for years. Not sure if this version will also be called Danube or if it will get a new name. It was also part of the men's FW15 runway show in Monogram Slate (blue leather), but did not make it to production. We'll see about this one and potentially in the men's multicolor Épi line up.

Reactions: j19
Anyone have any info re prices? I'm really loving this piece...View attachment 3587817

This is also one of my favorite pieces from the collection, and probably the one I could personally wear the most. I love the Danube but couldn't justify getting another vintage LV monogram crossbody when I already have the old St. Cloud, but now that it's in epi…[emoji7]

Reactions: Jenergyup