What's the craziest thing you've done to be able to afford the bag you wanted?

Have to say, I go to my local ramen shop once a week lol. Fresh ramen is amazing.

That said I've never done anything crazy to afford a bag, but I do get neurotic about getting the absolute best deal. Hours of comparison shopping, researching coupons, rebate sites, etc. all in the name of saving a few bucks.

Years ago I really wanted a Mulberry Bayswater. I spent a foolish amount of time scouring web sites, searching for the best price, the best deal. I contacted stores in Britain that occasionally have sales on them. I checked the dollar vs. pound conversion rate almost daily. TPFers from the Mulberry forum were e-mailing me regularly with sale sitings. The day after Christmas I got up at 4 a.m. to be one of the first on Mulberry's web site for their Boxing Day sale. Alas, the bag I wanted wasn't on sale. Then suddenly the price of the Bayswater nearly doubled. And the quality deteriorated, with the bags being manufactured of thin leather in Morocco rather than luxuriously thick leather in Britain. For some reason I could not see myself carrying books by Dickens, Chaucer and the Bronte sisters in a bag slapped together in Morocco. Agatha Christie novels maybe, but not the Bronte sisters. I decided to move on with my life. :shucks:

Told my husband if he'd buy me the bag I wanted (LV Speedy) it would count for the whole year's worth of gift giving occasions (birthday, anniversary, Christmas and Valentine's Day)! Not a huge sacrifice since I usually have trouble deciding what to ask for any way.

I would never go into debt or scrimp on food or other essentials to get a bag though, so maybe I'm a dinosaur too!