Have you ever paid duty when buying Louis Vuitton from Japan?

i just received my monogram keepall 50 from elady today. i live in vancouver and i had to pay $223 at the door. i used a duty calculator prior to purchasing so i was already expecting to pay around $200. it would of been nice if it didn't get taxed but overall it was a pleasant experience. i ordered saturday night and received it thursday so shipping was very fast.

http://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calculators/canadian-duty-calculator
here's the calculator for anyone who's interested.

I'm waiting for a NM Pochette from a Japenese sellers, it arrived in the UK on Thursday with the incorrect postal code on, it's already been to two wrong depots and I've had to make 3 phone calls chasing it around the country trying to pay the customs fees, hopefully it'll finally be at my local office tomorrow, I can pay for it and get it delivered. :balloon:

i just received my monogram keepall 50 from elady today. i live in vancouver and i had to pay $223 at the door. i used a duty calculator prior to purchasing so i was already expecting to pay around $200. it would of been nice if it didn't get taxed but overall it was a pleasant experience. i ordered saturday night and received it thursday so shipping was very fast.

http://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calculators/canadian-duty-calculator
here's the calculator for anyone who's interested.
Just checked the link you provided. And for my $271 purchase from Japan, I'm expecting to pay ~$100 in custom fees. Yikes!!!

I ordered something from Yoogis Closet last month for ~$150 and got hit with an extra charge of $35 when the package was delivered. According to the mail guy, I lucked out because they didn't charge me duty, just local taxes and their fees. :sad:

I live in the US (NY to be exact) and just purchased two Chanel bags around $2k each, one from brandoff (ebay) and one from Malleries. Both arrived days from each other and I didn't have to pay any customs :yahoo:

They listed the bags as being used (brandoff with the exact value; the other with exceptionally lower value) and it didn't go through customs whatsoever. Saved $400! :biggrin:

I've bought many bags from Japan and never run into this issue but several people have asked me to let them know if my $799 holy grail steal of a bag I ordered from Brandoff incurs any duty. I'm hoping it doesn't, as that would take a little of the shine off getting such a killer deal, but I just don't know. From what I understand you get $200 duty free, but Brandoff marks his for full value and does not mark as gift (which is the right and honest thing to do, so kudos to him). I've read online customs info that basically says if you are an end consumer, and the product being imported is not a "commercial" item or being resold, and the value is less than $2000, there will be no duty, but I also hear it's kind of up to the discretion of the customs officer.

Have you been charged duty on LV purchased from overseas and shipped into the US? Not just eBay, but any other type of buying? What about specific sellers like Brandoff, eLady, tig-japan, etc? Brick and mortar stores? Please share your experience, the cost of your bag and the amount you paid in duty if so. If not, tell me and keep my hopes up! LOL. I've also heard it's supposed to be 9% but can be as high as 18%, which would not be pleasant! Anyway, whether you have or haven't paid duty, please share! So many people have questions on this in the LV forum and are leery to buy because of it, so I thought addressing it would be a good idea. :smile: I did a search for 'duty' in this forum and didn't see anything specific from recently.

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!!!

I'm currently on eBay, looking at brand-works and tig-japan, I honestly don't want anything big... and Im not looking for my holy grail bags yet... just looking to try out pre-loved pochettes and I feel dumb, I went through this thread and you ladies have spent hundreds and I'm worrying about a used pochette that doesn't even come close to $20 b/c it's so... "loved"

Wondering, these sellers don't scam do they? I messaged brand-works and they said like how it's posted, free ship but customs/duties/taxes they're not responsible for. I read online that if it's less than $200 it's fine.

So when I asked to clarify what they meant by "once you win the auction we'll put it's true value" did they mean true value as in what I won the item for - OR - what it actually really goes for?

Someone please tell me I'm just overanalyzing this way too much....

I just want to make sure I don't end up spending a bunch of money I don't have because of a misunderstanding or miscommunication. Thank you:smile: ladies!!!

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!!!

I'm currently on eBay, looking at brand-works and tig-japan, I honestly don't want anything big... and Im not looking for my holy grail bags yet... just looking to try out pre-loved pochettes and I feel dumb, I went through this thread and you ladies have spent hundreds and I'm worrying about a used pochette that doesn't even come close to $20 b/c it's so... "loved"

Wondering, these sellers don't scam do they? I messaged brand-works and they said like how it's posted, free ship but customs/duties/taxes they're not responsible for. I read online that if it's less than $200 it's fine.

So when I asked to clarify what they meant by "once you win the auction we'll put it's true value" did they mean true value as in what I won the item for - OR - what it actually really goes for?

Someone please tell me I'm just overanalyzing this way too much....

I just want to make sure I don't end up spending a bunch of money I don't have because of a misunderstanding or miscommunication. Thank you:smile: ladies!!!

They don't scam, and under $200 there won't be any duty. They list the final price sold for as the value. HTH! :flowers:

I've only purchased pre-loved from Japan once. A petite bucket monogram from ginza-japan. It was less than $200 because it needed new lining. After clearing customs, it sat at my local post office because I needed to pick it up. I was terrified at how much I'd have to pay, but they didn't charge me anything.

A few more data points to revive this thread. In November last year I purchased a LV Speedy 25 for my wife from japan_monoshare and it was sent via EMS with no import duties or charges. Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky with the Neverfull from komehyo that I purchased earlier this month. It was sent via fedex and the total bill I received was for $154.80 which roughly equates to a 20% duty :cry: Live and learn I guess and it was still a good deal for the condition but adds a hefty premium when you're comparing international to local sellers.