Have you ever paid duty when buying Louis Vuitton from Japan?

I live in the Northeast US and ordered a Keepall on Friday night, 2/12. Even with Presidents' Day on Monday, it was at my post office on Tuesday. I couldn't pick it up until today (Saturday) -- but was not charged duty fees.

(I will do a reveal when I have enough posts. This is my first. :smile:)

Yes, I have had to pay duty taxes on several occasions, but I have also been lucky on several occasions. I feel like you can not predict what will happen. So cross you fingers!
I just wanted to thank Camargo Chic for this thread. I have always wondered if any one was in my shoes about the buying from japan and the taxes and duty charges, which is what always scare me from buying from japan. The bags are always cheaper from japan but then when you think you got a great deal you get hit with duty taxes.... I just bought a wallet from elady. If ya didn't know if you go to her actual web site her items are less than what she has them on the eBay site. Well I went and bought a wallet from the actual site and was happy to have saved that extra money. Plus if its your first time buying you get an extra 5% off. Anyways the whole time I was nerves and crossing my fingers to not get duty taxes. The wallet was bought ship and received in four days. Bought it Monday got it the same week Thursday. Best of all no duty taxes!!!! Wallet was 722.00. Regular Louis Vuitton price 1400.00 plus tax. Wallet was Brand New and saved half from retail.

I boought a bag for 280 from japan and I just got a 101.50 customs fee? Is this for real? Its 36% of the price? Any chance I can fight the charge? I dont mind paying customs, but I dont think 101 is a fair charge? isnt it too much?

I boought a bag for 280 from japan and I just got a 101.50 customs fee? Is this for real? Its 36% of the price? Any chance I can fight the charge? I dont mind paying customs, but I dont think 101 is a fair charge? isnt it too much?
I just purchased 2 items ($190 & $157) from a seller in Japan. They mailed it out on Monday and I received it on Thursday. I live in the US. I was not charged any fees; well at least none that I am aware of. My invoices were all in Japanese. The postal worker delivered my package. All I did was sign for it. How were you charged these fees? Did they not release your package until you paid these fees?

The postman showed up with the package and said I had to write a check for 101.50. I told him I was going to go to the postoffice on Monday and figure out why I had to pay so much. I really think they are overcharging me. I mean the bag was 279, how am I supposed to pay 101 in taxes? I have never had to pay before.

The postman showed up with the package and said I had to write a check for 101.50. I told him I was going to go to the postoffice on Monday and figure out why I had to pay so much. I really think they are overcharging me. I mean the bag was 279, how am I supposed to pay 101 in taxes? I have never had to pay before.
Wow. Sorry to hear that. May I ask if this was a Japanese seller on eBay? If so which seller? I'm asking because I noticed that some descriptions state that customs taxes/fees are not included.
I went to this website and listed all info and after doing so it stated there were no taxes/fees with my purchase. I calculated it by going to this site.
https://m.dutycalculator.com/?clear_cache=1
I hope this website will help you to determine if the taxes/fees are in accordance with your shipment.

I just bought a Chanel bag on ebay from Japan. On the seller website it said I might have to pay duties, but none were charged and shipping was free. I
also bought 3 Vuitton bags from Japan over the years, and also never paid shipping.

Customs officers do not have the resources to check every parcel that comes in this country, which is why, most of the time, you do not pay a custom fee. But in reality, when you buy a product and import it from abroad, there is a fee to comply with the law. The fee is calculated based on the value declared by the seller and not by the price you effectively paid for the item.

Reactions: MoRe18
You guys in the US are lucky. In Germany the chance you have to pay duty is almost 100% (yes they check every single parcel).
I bought a preloved Agenda from a Japanese seller for 93 Euros and had to pay 30€ duty :shocked:. Horrendous !!

Hi! I got it from wonderprice-jp. It's the first time I buy from them and it's also the first time I got taxed. I don't have a problem paying taxes if I have to, but I do have a problem paying a 36% tax fee when it should be 9%.
Wow. Sorry to hear that. May I ask if this was a Japanese seller on eBay? If so which seller? I'm asking because I noticed that some descriptions state that customs taxes/fees are not included.
I went to this website and listed all info and after doing so it stated there were no taxes/fees with my purchase. I calculated it by going to this site.
https://m.dutycalculator.com/?clear_cache=1
I hope this website will help you to determine if the taxes/fees are in accordance with your shipment.