the JADE thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh! this reminds me of my shopping trip last week with some girlfriends. One of them was looking at engagement rings and one of the shops in the mall had a tiny jade selection which is very unusual in an american mall so of course we had to take a look. They had one bangle which they pulled out for us to look at and we of course, played the guessing game on price tag to see if we could get close.

The bangle was 2/3 white and 1/3 of that apple green that is super popular right now. Pretty thick width and well polished but a pretty coarse grain and opaque, no translucency at all. I guessed around 12k and my friend guessed around 16k.

The store told us it was being sold at 150k. :wtf:

Ok I know I'm no expert and maybe I missed seeing something, but I have been pretty good at guessing within range of a bangle's price and to be over 100k off? As we were leaving, I was whispering to my girlfriends that there was NO way anyone who knew jade would spend that much on THAT bangle. For 150k, I want a bangle that looks like the one Dynasty posted! I guess the store can hope that some clueless westerner comes in and spends that much on it... :lol:

Yikes! For 150k, I'd want glassy and glowy, not opaque! And a sustained chime! Like a Tibetan singing bowl!

We have but we're all over the place...problem is I have very exp taste!! So either have less exp taste or put more down since we want to keep our manhattan apt. We looked most recently in park slope!!

Except now hubby is talking of cutting way back for an early retirement after reading about a guy who will be able to retire at 32.

Ohh is that why you were in Park Slopes this past weekend? Are you looking for a brownstone or condo? The prices have gone sky high. I remember looking at a new build condo in Park Slopes before it got crazy, but there was no parking and hubby refuses to circle the block for parking so we ended up where we are now.

Early retirement sounds awesome but that means no shopping :x
Can you manage? LOL!

It really ranges silver mom. A decent 1br in manhattan can be $1mn or more. A house really ranges but in the most desirable areas, a 4br house can be $2nn and need to be completely gutted.

I unfortunately keep falling in love with houses that are too much $$$. Have to listen to wisdom that we have to be conservative in case one of us loses our job or something.

Lol but to retire in 5 years as hubby says, we'd have to stay in our apt and try to start a family in a 1br. Short v long term view....

I dunno...

It's good to plan ahead and have a nice rainy day fund because you never know!
If you can achieve early retirement in 5 years by staying put...I say do it!
Although it might be tight on space at least you'll still have the convenience of being in the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.