the JADE thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh! this reminds me of my shopping trip last week with some girlfriends. One of them was looking at engagement rings and one of the shops in the mall had a tiny jade selection which is very unusual in an american mall so of course we had to take a look. They had one bangle which they pulled out for us to look at and we of course, played the guessing game on price tag to see if we could get close.

The bangle was 2/3 white and 1/3 of that apple green that is super popular right now. Pretty thick width and well polished but a pretty coarse grain and opaque, no translucency at all. I guessed around 12k and my friend guessed around 16k.

The store told us it was being sold at 150k. :wtf:

Ok I know I'm no expert and maybe I missed seeing something, but I have been pretty good at guessing within range of a bangle's price and to be over 100k off? As we were leaving, I was whispering to my girlfriends that there was NO way anyone who knew jade would spend that much on THAT bangle. For 150k, I want a bangle that looks like the one Dynasty posted! I guess the store can hope that some clueless westerner comes in and spends that much on it... :lol:

Wow that is a huge price difference!! Honestly I really can't price jade well. If I went to a store and they quoted me a price I would just have to believe it because I don't know any better. I guess whoever bought it for 150k doesn't know any better either.
Assuming that the buyer haggled, I wonder what the store listed it for originally?

That's the thing, I'm not sure if I love it. I want a lavender bangle but I think I would prefer a more even cool lavender with good color in a D or ival shape. Alice's is nicest so far but I def don't want to feel like I'm "settling" for $7k!

If it's not love definitely don't settle!
Hopefully you will have a better sense of it when you try it on again.
Although with love sometimes you know it the second you see it/try it on.
Kind of like love at first sight but I guess...there are times where you grow to love as well.
Sorry I am no help!

Wow that is a huge price difference!! Honestly I really can't price jade well. If I went to a store and they quoted me a price I would just have to believe it because I don't know any better. I guess whoever bought it for 150k doesn't know any better either.
Assuming that the buyer haggled, I wonder what the store listed it for originally?
Oh no one's bought it yet. =D I don't imagine anyone will but I could be wrong...

Uli: the store is carpeted so if anyone does have a slip-up, hopefully that will save them. :biggrin:

Sigh! I guess it's best you start saving for your new house.
Put it this way the faster you save, the sooner you buy house and sooner you get back to regular spending LOL!

Have you looked at anything in person yet?

We have but we're all over the place...problem is I have very exp taste!! So either have less exp taste or put more down since we want to keep our manhattan apt. We looked most recently in park slope!!

Except now hubby is talking of cutting way back for an early retirement after reading about a guy who will be able to retire at 32.

If you don't love it NYC P, you shouldn't get it. It is a lot of money. Maybe you will find something that you like better for less. Hope so.

Thanks Silver mom. That's why I want to see it again, also other options if she has. It's rare for me to see pieces in real life so I'd like to take advantage of that but I don't want to get something just to get something.

Does anyone else have trouble quoting here? Sometimes the icon doesn't show up .... grr..
Anyway the sun has long risen and its a clear blue sky .... despite wonderful visibility, it's strange that we still can't catch sight of the snow yukon.... hmmm

AJ, its no problem getting the earl grey. Its just that someone introduced me to madame grey. All it took was a whiff and a sip.

Thanks to all for giving a pat on Nemo!

Nyc, can emphatize with you on your lavender blues. Sometimes its good to not force the issue. Somehow it will come along when everything is in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.