It's almost Halloween-what's your "handbag horror story"

I have a story, well two actually. I can carry a cheap tote and nothing and I mean nothing happens to it. Carry a nice bag and everything and everyone is attracted to it!

So I'm at church with my new Ashley satchel (one of the few MMF bags I like) we are standing and singing. All of a sudden a little boy around 6 years old reaches over the pew grabs my bag and starts shaking it all around as if it was a tambourine to the beat of the music (very upbeat music) all while I am horrified that his mom just sets there smiling while he is beating my bag to death. I finally turned and made eye contact with his mother and smiled that smile that means "do something" then she finally said "oh no honey leave her things alone." My bag was ok but it was sticky and needed cleaning.

Second story. Come home from an outlet trip so excited to have found a black patent poppy slim wallet. Hubby looks at it unzips it part way and says this doesn't unzip very far while proceeding to pull on the back of the wallet creasing it. I still feel a bit of anger/sorrow when I think about it. Needless to say it was not a nice night. DH couldn't get why I was so upset and just said "it's not like I meant to do it" while shrugging his shoulders. For some reason that comment made it 100 times worse. He is way better and has made it up to me but man that was a bad deal!!

I've been noticing your reveals and how you seem to have random things happen to you. Hopefully your luck will turn around soon! It can be super annoying to have stuff like that happen and have no control over it.

My worst was at Applebee's, my fuchsia Lindsey was sitting in her own chair, minding her own business when the waitress brought our food and leaned right over her. She spilled one drop of juice from my hubby's fajitas on her-right on the front!!!! You want to talk about devastated, I was heartbroken. Thanks to the wonderful guys&gals of TPF though there is a happy ending. I had treated her with apple stain guard before she ever left the house, and with a little bit of water the stain came right out!! I became a true believer in stain guard that day :smile:

Lol, don't be jealous of me. Even though he doesn't mind going shopping, there are other things that he does you probably wouldn't want to have to deal with haha.

I haven't tried that yet. Thanks for the tip! We're about to go on vacation tomorrow, but if I have time tonight I will see what happens.

Be careful with hydrogen peroxide, it may take out the blood but it could bleach out the fabric. I would double check with the rehab ladies.
Have a great vacation!

cozyc said:
I have a story, well two actually. I can carry a cheap tote and nothing and I mean nothing happens to it. Carry a nice bag and everything and everyone is attracted to it!

So I'm at church with my new Ashley satchel (one of the few MMF bags I like) we are standing and singing. All of a sudden a little boy around 6 years old reaches over the pew grabs my bag and starts shaking it all around as if it was a tambourine to the beat of the music (very upbeat music) all while I am horrified that his mom just sets there smiling while he is beating my bag to death. I finally turned and made eye contact with his mother and smiled that smile that means "do something" then she finally said "oh no honey leave her things alone." My bag was ok but it was sticky and needed cleaning.

Second story. Come home from an outlet trip so excited to have found a black patent poppy slim wallet. Hubby looks at it unzips it part way and says this doesn't unzip very far while proceeding to pull on the back of the wallet creasing it. I still feel a bit of anger/sorrow when I think about it. Needless to say it was not a nice night. DH couldn't get why I was so upset and just said "it's not like I meant to do it" while shrugging his shoulders. For some reason that comment made it 100 times worse. He is way better and has made it up to me but man that was a bad deal!!

Uggggh. I hate parents who do nothing about their kids misbehaviour. I don't have kids yet, but I would be mortified if my kid grabbed someone else's stuff. Especially if they started shaking it!

Shaku said:
I've been noticing your reveals and how you seem to have random things happen to you. Hopefully your luck will turn around soon! It can be super annoying to have stuff like that happen and have no control over it.

I'm on a roll of great here lately!! :biggrin: I bought a UV wallet & duffle and a saffron Lindsey with a matching card case and all were perfect and nothing has tried to attack them yet Lol!! I honestly do get good things I just don't always remember to always post the good. :smile:

missjay7 said:
Uggggh. I hate parents who do nothing about their kids misbehaviour. I don't have kids yet, but I would be mortified if my kid grabbed someone else's stuff. Especially if they started shaking it!

I know so would I! Sometimes I feel like I am the only mother who taught her kids to keep your hands to yourself. Lol

I knocked a Dunkin Donuts cup full off coffee off my counter and right in to my open bag sitting on a chair below the eat-in counter just last week...thankfully I was able to hand wash the lining without issue...phew although my kids and hubby thought I was nuts for blow drying the bag after :biggrin:

Wow! It didn't seep through to the leather? If you blow dry the lining does it prevent water stains? Was this the satiny lining?
I am definitely buying some Apple Guarde spray and conditioner after hearing all these stories. We can't always prevent these accidents but can at least minimize the damage!

I also want to say how sorry I am about Mr. Miyagi. It is so hard to lose a true and loyal little friend. Sending you a hug.

I wish I had a really good story to share-although I must say I feel totally justified in my purse paranoia. For example-not letting bag tough ground and if I am sitting down at a restaurant-the purse is on the side of me where there aren't people if I can manage it!

Cute idea for a thread, Op!

There are some truly :wtf: stories on here. Mine kind of pale in comparison, but here goes:

I purchased one of the gray spectator Madison shoulder bags in 2009, and the bag had white trim. I was :loveeyes: for this bag, and as soon as I got home, I naturally pulled out the apple conditioner (because I didn't want anything to besmirch my new baby) and got to work making my bag stain/scratch/etc resistant. Satisfied with my thorough conditioning of the bag, I put it back in its dust bag and called it a night.The next day I went to take out the new jewel of my handbag collection, and all of the white leather trim had turned fluorescent green! Like it had been scribbled over with a highlighter. I was SO shocked and so mad! I managed to take it back to Coach and said I had no idea how it happened (har har), and thankfully they took it back (assuming it was some natural flaw with the bag, like some crazy leather fluke). I felt a little bad, but mostly I just felt thankful and relieved.

I've never conditioned another white leather bag with apple leather conditioner.

My other, lesser horror story involved color transfer from a brand new black Ann Taylor dress onto a pale pink croc Maggie. I wore the bag to my cousin's engagement party, and literally carried the bag approximately 500 yards from my car to the reception area... looked down at my bag, and it looked as though I'd dropped poor Maggie in a coal pit. Luckily, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser came to my poor bag's rescue! Thank HEAVENS for Mr. Clean.

Last edited:
I love this thread!

I have two stories.

First, I was at KFC having lunch with my mum and 1 year old nephew who doesn't know me too well yet. He was just clingy with my mum. Just as we were about to eat, my mum went to the washroom, and my nephew started crying and trying to climb out of his chair. I tried to stand up to grab him, not realising my Kristin hobo in SHELL(!! light color) was still in on my shoulder. She fell right onto the plate of greasy chicken and mashed potato and dressing as soon as I stood. Of course my nephew who was about to get out of the chair was more important at the time, so I had to carry him with my mashed potato covered bag until my mum came back. I quickly wiped the mushy stuff off with tissue and wipes, and was so shocked and relieved there was no stain on her, at all, but there were slight minor scratches. Two things I was thankful for - 1) Coach making her out of such good leather and well coated, and 2) my choice of bag that day. Couldn't say enough how glad I was that I did not carry the woven BS! :sweatdrop:

The second story just happened two days ago! But nothing happened to my bag, thankfully, but just handbag related. I have been proudly carrying my Scarlet Kristin Hobo around, I love her so much now. And I did notice some eyes on my bag everywhere I went. (Talk about being self-absorbed and overly confident!!:noggin:) So me and DH just finished watching a movie, I went to the restroom. Before I left, I notice one lady was looking at my abdomen area (which I thought she was eyeing my bag too). I happily walked out of the restroom, out the cinema, down the escalator, and walked some more with people all around (it was midday!) before I looked down and noticed my top was up my b**b! I had a tanktop underneath so I did not realize it sooner, but I was walking as if I was flashing my tank top covered body (ugly view, yes!) all over the cinema.. carrying my scarlet hobo and walking all confident. I was sooo mad at hubby that he didn't realize it at all else he could have told me! Pulled down the top and and acted as if nothing happened.

Last edited:
I have one horror story... had one of my op dotted Sophia's laying on a chair (empty) I just hadn't gotton to put her away.. she also had a silk coach scarf tied on her..
Hubby and I went to dinner to return to find her chewed beyond repair (the scarf only had a few holes) but the bag... NOT so lucky.
We have a very destructive dog who gets mad when we leave so she is in a kennel but this time her door was not closed all the way and she decided to customize my Sophia.....
Worried for a week that after all that she was going to get obstructed and need SX...

Wow! It didn't seep through to the leather? If you blow dry the lining does it prevent water stains? Was this the satiny lining?
I am definitely buying some Apple Guarde spray and conditioner after hearing all these stories. We can't always prevent these accidents but can at least minimize the damage!

I also want to say how sorry I am about Mr. Miyagi. It is so hard to lose a true and loyal little friend. Sending you a hug.

Luckily it was a canvas bag, I remember texting a friend right after it happened as was like "can you imagine if it had been my parchment Laila or something?" The lining was satin, I pulled the lining out as far as I could and scrubbed with soap and waiter in my bathroom sink, thankfully it worked. Thank you for thinking of me & Miyagi :hugs: the amount of support here has been amazing, you ladies really have helped get me through a hard time.

I have one horror story... had one of my op dotted Sophia's laying on a chair (empty) I just hadn't gotton to put her away.. she also had a silk coach scarf tied on her..
Hubby and I went to dinner to return to find her chewed beyond repair (the scarf only had a few holes) but the bag... NOT so lucky.
We have a very destructive dog who gets mad when we leave so she is in a kennel but this time her door was not closed all the way and she decided to customize my Sophia.....
Worried for a week that after all that she was going to get obstructed and need SX...

Nooooooo poor Sophia! :cry: my puppy, god bless him ate the pom poms off my Coach slippers...through the crate! lol he became a master at pulling in anything left nearby on the floors at night :lol:

Cute idea for a thread, Op!

There are some truly :wtf: stories on here. Mine kind of pale in comparison, but here goes:

I purchased one of the gray spectator Madison shoulder bags in 2009, and the bag had white trim. I was :loveeyes: for this bag, and as soon as I got home, I naturally pulled out the apple conditioner (because I didn't want anything to besmirch my new baby) and got to work making my bag stain/scratch/etc resistant. Satisfied with my thorough conditioning of the bag, I put it back in its dust bag and called it a night.The next day I went to take out the new jewel of my handbag collection, and all of the white leather trim had turned fluorescent green! Like it had been scribbled over with a highlighter. I was SO shocked and so mad! I managed to take it back to Coach and said I had no idea how it happened (har har), and thankfully they took it back (assuming it was some natural flaw with the bag, like some crazy leather fluke). I felt a little bad, but mostly I just felt thankful and relieved.

I've never conditioned another white leather bag with apple leather conditioner.

My other, lesser horror story involved color transfer from a brand new black Ann Taylor dress onto a pale pink croc Maggie. I wore the bag to my cousin's engagement party, and literally carried the bag approximately 500 yards from my car to the reception area... looked down at my bag, and it looked as though I'd dropped poor Maggie in a coal pit. Luckily, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser came to my poor bag's rescue! Thank HEAVENS for Mr. Clean.

I am sorry but you took this back? I am by no means trying to start anything but I hope you realize now how wrong that was. I mean I know Coach and their customer service will take back practically the moon but this was....um....not cool. No offense to you and I know we all have returned things we probably should not have. I hope we can just realize how "not" to take advantage of a company and their products.

I am sorry but you took this back? I am by no means trying to start anything but I hope you realize now how wrong that was. I mean I know Coach and their customer service will take back practically the moon but this was....um....not cool. No offense to you and I know we all have returned things we probably should not have. I hope we can just realize how "not" to take advantage of a company and their products.

^^This. Why do people continue to take advantage? Next we'll hear about how the person couldn't do a legitimate return and they'll wonder why. It's so frustrating.....