It's almost Halloween-what's your "handbag horror story"

not really a horror story but it was horrifying event to me

living in Miami I should be use to roaches BUT when they are as big as small children it's hard to adjust to them plus they fly

I was leaving my house purse in hand and was looking for my car keys

I was reaching in my purse not looking in but feeling around and then

I felt a pointy thing and I scream, emptied the contents of my purse on my driveway

found the pointy, ugly creature and stepped on it enjoying the popping sound it made

my children of course were in the car - loving the drama, my neighbor was out and asked if I was okay, told her there was a roach in my purse

this is one of the many reasons I don't like gallery totes, no zipper to keep the ugly creatures out

I thought the ones we had in Georgia were bad but I always heard the ones in Florida were much, much worse. ::shiver:: I have a severe bug phobia and not sure I could have recovered from that one.

Ugh. I have serious heebie-jeebies right now!

mossgirl84 said:
I thought the ones we had in Georgia were bad but I always heard the ones in Florida were much, much worse. ::shiver:: I have a severe bug phobia and not sure I could have recovered from that one.

Ugh. I have serious heebie-jeebies right now!

I am also in GA. Marietta. I came here from FL, and I can confirm, the ones in FL are ruthless, lmfao! However, those BIG flying ones find their way into our house all the time. There was one that came in last night, and another maybe last week. I think they are trying to avoid the chilly nights we have been having recently!

We all really love our bags but good choice saving the nephew first!!
I'm so glad the food came off your light colored shell hobo, that is incredible! Yes, I shudder to think of you trying to clean mashed potatoes out of a woven bag! It would be so hard to get every last bit that some food underneath might even smell later on. ICK!

Love, love , love the shirt story. I'm sure you were really rocking the scarlet hobo and it is an eye catching bag but couldn't compete with having your shirt up! Yeah for tank tops.
:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

Yes I was sooo glad. It would be icky to have to clean had it been the woven! :sweatdrop::sweatdrop:

Until now, I still can't believe that happened!!! :blush: A little advice to everyone, make sure your clothes are in the right place when you're sporting your new bags! :P

My horror story is a bit different, but I'm still upset about it.

I had mentioned the broken magnetic clasp on my 1990s Legacy Studio Flap to the SAs at FP, and they convinced me to take it in and they'd ship it to JAX to see if it could be repaired. It had been "retired" to my closet for years and years, and I knew about the repair service, but I'd never sent it in because I was worried to do so. It was the very first Coach bag I ever had--I bought it for myself with money from my first college job. Sentimental value.

So I take it in, they pack it up and give me the receipt. All my info is correct. I take note that it may take 4 to 6 weeks to get it shipped back. All is good.

Fast forward one month. Haven't received my bag back, nor any info. FP store has no info, so I call JAX.

Apparently my bag was unrepairable, I was issued a 40% letter, and it was shipped back to me. I am given the tracking info. I track the package, and it was sent to me, in Oregon. Weeks ago. I live in Texas. Yeah.

I call CS for Fed Ex and talk to them. They say it was undeliverable and shipped back to JAX. Weeks ago. I get another tracking number.

It arrived in JAX. Weeks ago. I was never called or emailed.

After a week of calls to JAX, I'm finally told my bag cannot be located. I'm offered the 40% letter. I say, isn't that's the same 40% from it being unrepairable? They raise it to 50% off after talking to their manager.

I found another on eBay, but it's not the same. :sad:

albeli said:

I had mentioned the broken magnetic clasp on my 1990s Legacy Studio Flap to the SAs at FP, and they convinced me to take it in and they'd ship it to JAX to see if it could be repaired. It had been "retired" to my closet for years and years, and I knew about the repair service, but I'd never sent it in because I was worried to do so. It was the very first Coach bag I ever had--I bought it for myself with money from my first college job. Sentimental value.

So I take it in, they pack it up and give me the receipt. All my info is correct. I take note that it may take 4 to 6 weeks to get it shipped back. All is good.

Fast forward one month. Haven't received my bag back, nor any info. FP store has no info, so I call JAX.

Apparently my bag was unrepairable, I was issued a 40% letter, and it was shipped back to me. I am given the tracking info. I track the package, and it was sent to me, in Oregon. Weeks ago. I live in Texas. Yeah.

I call CS for Fed Ex and talk to them. They say it was undeliverable and shipped back to JAX. Weeks ago. I get another tracking number.

After a week of calls to JAX, I'm finally told my bag cannot be located. I'm offered the 40% letter. I say, isn't that's the same 40% from it being unrepairable? They raise it to 50% off after talking to their manager.

If i were you I'd raise heck with them. I'd let them know how much sentimental value the bag had and 50% off is an insult. I'd be very angry!

Want to hit the like button, only if tpf had one:smile:

I wanted to hit the like button for your story! I work for a pest control company so bugs are my business, but I still would have died if I had reached into my purse and grabbed a roach instead! I like them pinned down behind glass as I'm training new employees, not running around in my coach purse!

I agree with teerash that is an insult of how much that bag meant to you. Can you contact your SA? By right she or the store should be making sure that the bag reaches back to you if you had gone through her in the first place. Sorry to hear about this.

If i were you I'd raise heck with them. I'd let them know how much sentimental value the bag had and 50% off is an insult. I'd be very angry!

I did. I was. I still am.

I agree with teerash that is an insult of how much that bag meant to you. Can you contact your SA? By right she or the store should be making sure that the bag reaches back to you if you had gone through her in the first place. Sorry to hear about this.

SA knows. When she looked in the computer they hadn't even changed it from 40% to 50%. I had to call CS again and we both talked to them in order to get the 50% authorized.

Last edited:
albeli said:

Awww :'( I am so sorry. I know what you mean about it not being the same. I am sentimental too. Hopefully one day they will find your bag and mail it back to you unexpectedly...{hug}

Sorry Albeli, that this happened to you.
It takes 4-6 weeks for them to turn around each bag so they don't sound well staffed. You could try being persistent and calling a couple times a week. They probably have not even made a big effort to find it. It may be there somewhere and you will still get it back.:search::search:
Fingers crossed!

I am sorry but you took this back? I am by no means trying to start anything but I hope you realize now how wrong that was. I mean I know Coach and their customer service will take back practically the moon but this was....um....not cool. No offense to you and I know we all have returned things we probably should not have. I hope we can just realize how "not" to take advantage of a company and their products.

No offense taken. It would take a lot more than this to offend me, and I far prefer objective debate to subjective tirades. Frankly, it was the sales associate's decision in 2009 to take the bag back or not; either way, I would not have argued. It would also be another consumer's decision whether they wanted to purchase this bag if the outlet chose to resell it there. As any Coach consumer knows, it's important to closely (CLOSELY) examine your bag at outlet (AND FP, given their lack of attention to quality assurance) before purchasing- I always do, and I know my friends do. It's the mark of an intelligent- and meticulous- consumer. I do feel a little pang of regret when I think back to that moment in 2009, and do think I would likely have behaved differently today than I did in the initial moments of my Coach obsession. But I stand by my sales associates' decisions. At the time, my sales associate did inspect the bag. She did see the green. She did say "yes, this looks like a leather defect." And at the time, I chose not to contradict.

I would be surprised if Coach then proceded to attempt to re-sell the bag at that outlet- chances are, it went to T.J. Maxx or another second party seller (from my discussions with my outlet sales associates, whom I've come to know very well over the years of buying MASSIVE numbers of bags from the outlet). Further, I'll have you know (though I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to state this) that in all my time as a Coach collector, I've returned exactly two bags- the Madison Shoulder bag in 2009, and a woven baby sage (unworn, unused, perfectly unblemished- just not the bag for me) in 2012. Judge me as you will (and surely already have). And yes, if you're wondering- this does leave me the curator of a bag collection of 80+.

And now I'm done with this conversation.

No offense taken. It would take a lot more than this to offend me, and I far prefer objective debate to subjective tirades. Frankly, it was the sales associate's decision in 2009 to take the bag back or not; either way, I would not have argued. It would also be another consumer's decision whether they wanted to purchase this bag if the outlet chose to resell it there. As any Coach consumer knows, it's important to closely (CLOSELY) examine your bag at outlet (AND FP, given their lack of attention to quality assurance) before purchasing- I always do, and I know my friends do. It's the mark of an intelligent- and meticulous- consumer. I do feel a little pang of regret when I think back to that moment in 2009, and do think I would likely have behaved differently today than I did in the initial moments of my Coach obsession. But I stand by my sales associates' decisions. At the time, my sales associate did inspect the bag. She did see the green. She did say "yes, this looks like a leather defect." And at the time, I chose not to contradict.

I would be surprised if Coach then proceded to attempt to re-sell the bag at that outlet- chances are, it went to T.J. Maxx or another second party seller (from my discussions with my outlet sales associates, whom I've come to know very well over the years of buying MASSIVE numbers of bags from the outlet). Further, I'll have you know (though I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to state this) that in all my time as a Coach collector, I've returned exactly two bags- the Madison Shoulder bag in 2009, and a woven baby sage (unworn, unused, perfectly unblemished- just not the bag for me) in 2012. Judge me as you will (and surely already have). And yes, if you're wondering- this does leave me the curator of a bag collection of 80+.

If I bought a bag, hadn't worn it, put leather conditioner on it and part of the bag turned green....I would do the same thing as you....return it!

I can see both sides. I know Coach technically had an "out", but there are certain things that you would expect leather to withstand, and there is value to retaining a customer. I would have probably disclosed that I used the third party product and asked "What can you do for me?" making it clear that the SA's answer would have a significant impact on future purchasing decisions. That usually works for me. At least with companies I like to do business with.

I appreciate your posting the story VERY MUCH because I just ordered $40 worth of Apple Care products and now I know they are not perfect. This is in anticipation of getting my first white Coach bag, a parchment penny if they make one. I will be very careful with how I choose to apply both the conditioner and the protectant to ANY bag. Thanks for posting your story.

The problem in my eyes is that it was not honest. If you feel like the leather should not turn green after using a conditioner (which I agree) I would go in and sternly say "I used apple conditioner and it turned green. I want to exchange, get refund etc". When my Glam started to unravel I told them I saw this starting I don't recall doing anything to it. Can I send it in or is it a defect. And they were kind and said they would just return. But I think it is crossing a thin line to just leave out what really happened. But if some people would to each their own.