Official Bottega Veneta Chat Thread - Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, a tPF BVette in Lubbock. So, I do need a dinner tip. I'm taking a co-worker out on Weds. night. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express West. Stayed there last October; nice service and super clean.

Both of us are foodies. What do you recommend? Price is not an issue and we have a rental car.
mousse, sorry just read your message! Just got home yesterday.

The Overton Hotel has a nice restaurant. It is down by Texas Tech University. Nice atmosphere. I also like Rain Uptown. It is more toward the Italian side and is on 98th St. That is just a couple I do like. You may have gotten more recommendations by now. Let me know how Lubbock was/is and where you did eat! :yes::okay:

jburgh, that is so wonderful you are growing Goji berries..I love them, but of course have to buy them...Keep eating them, they are so good for us!

Are you not able to grow them? They are pretty easy, but are sort of ugly bushes - very rangey and scrubby looking. We have 5 plants. Two bear fruit and the other 3 are still too young.

My 15 year old dd and I sometimes have communication issues :lol:. I've found one of the minor ones to be certain idioms that haven't carried down through the next generation. She constantly asks me "what the heck does that mean?" It has made me very aware of idioms when I say them, and with the internet it is easy to look up how they started.

Today's source of confusion was "mums the word". I found this about it:

This expression dates from about 1700, but mum , meaning "silence," is much older. In 2 Henry VI (1:2) Shakespeare wrote, "Seal up your lips, and give no words but mum."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mum's+the+word

Some other ones that dd hasn't understood

If I had my druthers
Blue moon
Long in the tooth
Miss the boat
Take what someone says with a pinch of salt
Burning the candle at both ends
Got a bee in her bonnet

Last edited:
did anyone see this???? Jersey handbags?

N CELEBRATION OF FASHION’S NIGHT OUT, BOTTEGA VENETA WILL BE HOSTING EVENTS IN SELECT STORES AROUND THE WORLD.
AUSTRALIA, CHINA, FRANCE, GERMANY, ITALY, JAPAN, KOREA, SPAIN, TAIWAN, UK, US - WHEREVER YOU ARE ON THE DESIGNATED SEPTEMBER EVENING THAT EACH CITY’S FASHION EXTRAVAGANZA WILL TAKE PLACE, YOU’RE INVITED TO JOIN US!

A SPECIAL PRE-LAUNCH OF 100 JERSEY HANDBAGS IN NERO FROM OUR NEW ECO-FRIENDLY GROUP WILL BE AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE ON A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVE BASIS

Where have you BEEN? You haven't been reading about the new eco-friendly line? I don't care for it, myself.

did anyone see this???? Jersey handbags?

N CELEBRATION OF FASHION’S NIGHT OUT, BOTTEGA VENETA WILL BE HOSTING EVENTS IN SELECT STORES AROUND THE WORLD.
AUSTRALIA, CHINA, FRANCE, GERMANY, ITALY, JAPAN, KOREA, SPAIN, TAIWAN, UK, US - WHEREVER YOU ARE ON THE DESIGNATED SEPTEMBER EVENING THAT EACH CITY’S FASHION EXTRAVAGANZA WILL TAKE PLACE, YOU’RE INVITED TO JOIN US!

A SPECIAL PRE-LAUNCH OF 100 JERSEY HANDBAGS IN NERO FROM OUR NEW ECO-FRIENDLY GROUP WILL BE AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE ON A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVE BASIS

sbelle it works both ways. When I was raising my dd's it was years before I knew what "hooking up" meant.

^:lol: I know!! I learned that when kids are "talking" that means a boy and girl are getting to know each other and when they are "dating" they have officially declared to each other that they are boyfriend and girlfriend. I only learned because I was using "dating" incorrectly!!

DD and I just had another moment as I was driving her home from soccer. In the same sentence I said "get down to brass tacks ..... and put your nose to the grindstone" and she burst out with "Where do you come up with this stuff? Nobody talks like that!"

no I have not been reading about BV
I have been reading up on giving up gluten
and looking for a job
it is taking up most of my time
when I grow up I want to be LOL

growing old inevitable
growing up optional

sbelle my mother keeps popping out of my mouth all the time
and I keep thinking I need to find new idioms to use :lol:

Where have you BEEN? You haven't been reading about the new eco-friendly line? I don't care for it, myself.

Generational language barriers. A few years ago I inadvertently discovered that I was not being sarcastic, but was being 'snarky'. I actually argued about it, pretty stridently. Nothing I hate worse than a miss young-know-it-all. Harrumph.

Snark, my a... Er, butt. What the hell kind of word is 'snarky'? What was wrong with good old 'sarcastic'?

I have, however, adopted 'seriously?' as my own. And, for the first time in my life, found myself donating to a presidential campaign* today.

Keerist, I feel retirement nigh upon me.

Seriously?

*I understand we can't talk politics here - I'm not. I'm talking about getting old.

I love idioms and colorful words. Moving around so much has really added to my crazy sayings. These are my favs:

Non stoppus mouthus (from my friend's mother in Chicago)
Ill, meaning bad tempered (from North Carolina)
Nebbie, meaning nosey (from the folks in Pittsburgh)
That dog will hunt! (again from North Carolina)

My recent mishap with modern lingo was a young man calling our pit bull Leonard "tight."
When I grew up, being tight meant being unkind or mean.
Apparently tight now means "cool."

I was rather confused and saddened about this description of my beloved pooch until DH explained things.

Status
Not open for further replies.