Official Bottega Veneta Chat Thread - Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a colleague who gets all sorts of expressions wrong. It drives our team nuts. The ones I can remember off the top of my head:

Irregardless... People, this is not a real word
For all intensive purposes... I don't think she has any idea it is actually intents and purposes
We're going to have to set down and talk about this... I prefer to sit

We have a colleague who gets all sorts of expressions wrong. It drives our team nuts. The ones I can remember off the top of my head:

Irregardless... People, this is not a real word
For all intensive purposes... I don't think she has any idea it is actually intents and purposes
We're going to have to set down and talk about this... I prefer to sit

Irregardless drives me nuts too. Regardless and irrespective all rolled in to one annoying package.

My best friend from college never gets expressions right. Some of her classics:

It's a doggie-dog world
The abdominal snowman
I'm just talking out loud here

And while not exactly an expression, she did remark once "Can you believe Thanksgiving is on Thursday AGAIN this year?!"

She's a great friend and I love her dearly but man, some days, I wonder if she has any idea how silly she sounds.v:smile:

I went to school with a girl that said "shut your face" instead of shut up. I still think it's cute. I raised a grammar queen and according to her I don't use nauseated and nauseous properly. What bugs me is the lack of adverbs esp on the news. Every morning and evening I have to hear that the traffic is moving slow.......slowly! It's like chalk on a blackboard. Just listen to the radio, the TV and people around you.....you'll be screaming ly like I do.

LLANeedle...I agree! My major gripe is with the myriads of people who use "I" incorrectly. I think everyone thinks it is more correct to use "I" instead of "me"...in all circumstances. Hello - it is not!

I see this published, hear it on TV...makes me grit my teeth!

See you on Saturday...come hell or highwater (literally)! ;)

Okay, I'm an engineer. My brain is wired for math and not writing. I've noticed that I flat out can't read if the grammar is wonky.

Things that drive me nuts

When did cancelled become canceled,etc
I miss the comma before and. I had peas, corn, and carrots.
There is a difference between a semicolon and a colon. Please learn it.
Yep, I put the period where it helps clarify something in quotations marks not by default inside the quotes.

Rant over. I went through my closet and forgot how many bags I had accumulated over the years. I reach for the same group over and over and have to learn to let something go.

On a different note - is anybody here familiar with Acne Studios (out of Stockholm) and their leather products? If so, what's your opinion of them? Barney's and Opening Ceremony carry their shoes and clothing - they've got a store in Soho, FWIW. I'm just curious. I've fallen in love with their Agate Tab clutch/wallet. I must admit that 'love' is helped along by their aesthetic and the fact that "Acne", in this case, stands for 'Ambition to create novel expressions'.

My DIL is from Cambodia
She has been here since the age of 2
that means she went through the school system in the United States
I wish I could remember some of the ways she slaughters the English language ( I also understand that at home she probably spoke Cambodian and there is no possessive in their language)
once of her expressions is: true dat
this really bothers me but I say nothing
I find the best way to be a good MIL is to keep a closed mouth and open wallet

I myself tend not to use capitals on the net or periods or comas or anything else
I published my book in prose so I didn't have use any periods commas or colons
since all my writing teachers said I stink at grammar
and I do
and I think about that every time I get a royalty check LOL

Has anybody seen this bracelet ?http://img.purseforum.com/attachmen...eneta-bags-pics-only-no-chatting-00250big.jpg

I did a quick search of the website and didn't see anything. Thanks

Nice ... it must be a BV bracelet, yes?

1862609d1347005193-celebs-bottega-veneta-bags-pics-only-no-chatting-00250big.jpg

I went to school with a girl that said "shut your face" instead of shut up. I still think it's cute. I raised a grammar queen and according to her I don't use nauseated and nauseous properly. What bugs me is the lack of adverbs esp on the news. Every morning and evening I have to hear that the traffic is moving slow.......slowly! It's like chalk on a blackboard. Just listen to the radio, the TV and people around you.....you'll be screaming ly like I do.
My students call Alzheimer's Disease "Old Timer's Disease". They also call varicose veins "Very Close Veins" and that's not the worst of it.......

Status
Not open for further replies.