The New CL * DIY * Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
YES, I know how you feel ... I was thinking about which color to strass since Oktober 2011 - during that days I even haven´t had a Louboutin :smile: .... And last week I was still between Meridian Blue and Crystal AB ... I know it´s quiet the opposite, but both colors seemed to be incredible to me. Meridian Blue has such nice pinkish tones combined with a wonderful blue ... but Crystal AB will make my shoes a "Cinderella Shoe". Well, at the end - the bargain came right in time and I bought so much crystals, that I will do a boxclutch as well :smile:

Volcano is really beautiful ... and will look great on camel. What does the Elisa look like, have you got a picture to show?? I think you will use E6000 on the patent, right? Have you used the glue before?

This is how my Elisa looks like, except mine are old and trashed... I used them a lot for work last year and the heels are terrible :shucks:

To be honest, I havent started on any of strassing projects yet. Originally the idea is to strass my own wedding shoes- but I am still hunting them :biggrin: But I heard GemTac works on patent as well (?) I think I will get both glues and combine them if both works - say E6000 on the big ones

Attachments

• elisa100.jpg
    elisa100.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 526
This is how my Elisa looks like, except mine are old and trashed... I used them a lot for work last year and the heels are terrible :shucks:

To be honest, I havent started on any of strassing projects yet. Originally the idea is to strass my own wedding shoes- but I am still hunting them :biggrin: But I heard GemTac works on patent as well (?) I think I will get both glues and combine them if both works - say E6000 on the big ones

Oh wow - they are really nice. I think, if you let your clobber fix your heel and strass the shoe afterwards, you will have a wonderful shoe again and volcano will be enhance the nice form of the shoe.

I know that it says on the Gemtac bottle, that it might be used on patent leather but I haven´t used it myself on patent yet. The real PRO-Ladies here on the board only use E6000 on patent, so you would be on the save side using it as well. Don´t make the mistake - as I did - to open E6000 just to figure out about the glue without starting strassing bc the glue gets old very quickly and it will grow harder to work with it, as it will became more and more stringy with time. I also don´t like the smell and the fact that it is toxic.
But no crystals will came off!

If you like to practise - just get a sunglass-case in patent and strass on side - so you wont waste crystals but don´t mess up your CL´s. I practised with cheap acrylic crystals on one myself and learned a lot about spacing and the amount of glue :smile:

I am looking forward about your project and ... good hunting for the bridal shoes :smile: When is your wedding going to be?

Oh wow - they are really nice. I think, if you let your clobber fix your heel and strass the shoe afterwards, you will have a wonderful shoe again and volcano will be enhance the nice form of the shoe.

I know that it says on the Gemtac bottle, that it might be used on patent leather but I haven´t used it myself on patent yet. The real PRO-Ladies here on the board only use E6000 on patent, so you would be on the save side using it as well. Don´t make the mistake - as I did - to open E6000 just to figure out about the glue without starting strassing bc the glue gets old very quickly and it will grow harder to work with it, as it will became more and more stringy with time. I also don´t like the smell and the fact that it is toxic.
But no crystals will came off!

If you like to practise - just get a sunglass-case in patent and strass on side - so you wont waste crystals but don´t mess up your CL´s. I practised with cheap acrylic crystals on one myself and learned a lot about spacing and the amount of glue :smile:

I am looking forward about your project and ... good hunting for the bridal shoes :smile: When is your wedding going to be?

Thank you!!! Those are truly amazing advice. I knew that E6000 dries fast just never realized it will be that fast... I am scared by the toxic tho... might need to get some strong masks for that :biggrin:

The sunglass-case idea is so smart! I was thinking of strassing my YSL clutch a bit to match with the shoes. But I might do what you suggest first anyways!

Bridal shoes- I have love and hate relationship with them, definitely. My wedding is next fall. So I have plenty of time! I am struggling between pure white (which my fiance is fond of) or strassing silk/champagne (which I prefer)... No consensus yet. So I might get both at the end. one for reception one for ceremony! wamhahaha :blush:

I have a pair of non-CL pumps in black patent, does anyone know if its ok to use Lumiere paint to paint it a lighter color. I'm thinking light pink or light purple. If possible would I need multiple coats for it to come out nice and even?

It'll be my first attempt at stressing so I figured I'd try on an older pair of shoes rather than buying CLs for practice.

Thank you!!! Those are truly amazing advice. I knew that E6000 dries fast just never realized it will be that fast... I am scared by the toxic tho... might need to get some strong masks for that :biggrin:

The sunglass-case idea is so smart! I was thinking of strassing my YSL clutch a bit to match with the shoes. But I might do what you suggest first anyways!

Bridal shoes- I have love and hate relationship with them, definitely. My wedding is next fall. So I have plenty of time! I am struggling between pure white (which my fiance is fond of) or strassing silk/champagne (which I prefer)... No consensus yet. So I might get both at the end. one for reception one for ceremony! wamhahaha :blush:

Yes, a matching clutch - especially YSL would be wonderful - go for it!

How lovely - two wonderful shoes are the best idea :biggrin: ... but I guess, if your fiance will see you in your bridal gown or your reception outfit, he will only care, that YOU are loving what you are wearing. If you are scared, that the white would not really suit your complexion - you might have a look at crystal moonlight - it will give a hint of warmth ... compared to crystal clear. But everything will come into place time by time - you will find your perfect shoes!

I would have loved to have strassed shoes an my wedding, too ... but at that time, I didn´t even know about it.

Since we're on the topic of strassing clutches, I strassed two clutches recently. First a gray satin Dolce & Gabbana clutch that I painted light pearlescent pink, and strassed in Crystal AB. Also, a black Miu Miu clutch with gold hardware, that I painted completely gold and strassed in Jonquil AB (to match my Jonquil AB Lady Peeps). Anyway, the purpose of me posting these is to show that you don't have to strass a clutch with all one size (think Judith Leiber). I used all 6 sizes that I would typically use on a pair of shoes, and I actually like this look better. I plan to strass more clutches in the future now that I know that the end result is exactly what I envisioned.

*Both of these took about 40 hours to complete. The D&G was much bigger than the Miu Miu, and it was a soft clutch so it was harder to handle than the Miu Mui (which was a hard box clutch).
DG2.jpg

DG3.jpg

miumiu.jpg

miumiu3.jpg

sideways2.jpg
comparison3.jpg
comparison2.jpg

I have a pair of non-CL pumps in black patent, does anyone know if its ok to use Lumiere paint to paint it a lighter color. I'm thinking light pink or light purple. If possible would I need multiple coats for it to come out nice and even?

It'll be my first attempt at stressing so I figured I'd try on an older pair of shoes rather than buying CLs for practice.

yep! With enough coats you can. I just did this to a pair of black patent lady peeps, i think i did about 5 coats

Since we're on the topic of strassing clutches, I strassed two clutches recently. First a gray satin Dolce & Gabbana clutch that I painted light pearlescent pink, and strassed in Crystal AB. Also, a black Miu Miu clutch with gold hardware, that I painted completely gold and strassed in Jonquil AB (to match my Jonquil AB Lady Peeps). Anyway, the purpose of me posting these is to show that you don't have to strass a clutch with all one size (think Judith Leiber). I used all 6 sizes that I would typically use on a pair of shoes, and I actually like this look better. I plan to strass more clutches in the future now that I know that the end result is exactly what I envisioned.

*Both of these took about 40 hours to complete. The D&G was much bigger than the Miu Miu, and it was a soft clutch so it was harder to handle than the Miu Mui (which was a hard box clutch).
DG2.jpg

DG3.jpg

miumiu.jpg

miumiu3.jpg

sideways2.jpg
comparison3.jpg
comparison2.jpg

wow! they look amazing! I cant seem to find the pearlescent pink anywhere... wait, I cant find lumiere paint anywhere close to me! i even checked Joann's fabric, ACmoore, Michaels, walmart.. no luck. I wish I could see the colors in real life.

Last edited:
cdinh87 said:
wow! they look amazing! I cant seem to find the pearlescent pink anywhere... wait, I cant find lumiere paint anywhere close to me! i even checked Joann's fabric, ACmoore, Michaels, walmart.. no luck. I wish I could see the colors in real life.

You'll have to mix a few different colors to get the exact color you want for each project. That's what a lot of us do. Lumiere sells magenta, which you have to mix with other lighter colors to get that pastel pearlescent pink.

Status
Not open for further replies.