Christmas Rehab Gift Extravaganza! Nine Bags Given Away!

Thank you, the brown Willis was a favorite of mine and my sister was really pleased with it. I also gave her a (new) mahagony wristlet to go with it.

I wanted to make the gift as "special" as possible so I put the bag into a dustbag and wrapped it in Coach tissue and then put it and the wristlet into a large Coach boutique gift box and tied it up with Coach ribbon. When I gave it to her I put the box into a large striped Coach shopping bag.

Whenever I give away a rehab, I always include a card with the care instructions and information about the bag (name, style number, color, and year of manufacture.) For a bag like the Willis that is still available, I also include the original release date. I used one of those fancy cardboard envelopes for receipts from the boutique to hold this info card and I put it inside the bag. I also included a shiny copper penny for good luck! I think that those little touches add something to the gift!

WOW!! So glad to hear...you truly go that extra mile and even though you had a fear of giving away a "used bag" (i say loved!!!) the extra little things you do to make it complete go far beyond what money could spend on a new bag. Keep it up!

Thank you, the brown Willis was a favorite of mine and my sister was really pleased with it. I also gave her a (new) mahagony wristlet to go with it.

I wanted to make the gift as "special" as possible so I put the bag into a dustbag and wrapped it in Coach tissue and then put it and the wristlet into a large Coach boutique gift box and tied it up with Coach ribbon. When I gave it to her I put the box into a large striped Coach shopping bag.

Whenever I give away a rehab, I always include a card with the care instructions and information about the bag (name, style number, color, and year of manufacture.) For a bag like the Willis that is still available, I also include the original release date. I used one of those fancy cardboard envelopes for receipts from the boutique to hold this info card and I put it inside the bag. I also included a shiny copper penny for good luck! I think that those little touches add something to the gift!

Honestly, this whole package just blows me away! First, I love the quality of your rehabs. The love and effort you put into "rescuing" these now lovely bags makes me warm & fuzzy. Then you gift them to loved ones, include a whole package of info so they can love the bag too, AND include an additional matching new gift. How could anyone not love this gift?

I. am. blown .away.

katev said:
Thanks! I actually put the drawstring bag through the automatic washer! I had revealed the rehab of that bag previously and there is more info and pics at the link below. It didn't come out perfect - light colored, pebbled leather bags are a big challenge, but it came out well and I was happy with the results (and my niece really seemed to like it!)
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/a-nice-rehab-project-but-still-bit-flawed-703093.html

The outside of the Soho was filthy and the lining was really dirty at the bottom of the bag. The wear on the outside corners was the biggest problem (see the before pic below). I gave the bag a bath in the sink and pulled the lining out as far as I could and scrubbed it and it really cleaned up well.

Then I let the bag dry and used many applications of conditioner, including Black Rocks. That darkened the leather and evened out the color quite a bit, but the corners are still a little lighter than the rest the bag - but it doesn't look bad. I told my niece to use a good quality conditioner on it periodically because I am sure that the corners will fade again when the leather starts to dry out. There's another after pic below also and you can see on the left side that the corners are still a bit faded.

Before:

After:

Of course, I forgot about the washing machine - how could I?!?

Meanwhile, I can't believe that you didn't need to do any touchup on the corners of the soho, what an inspiration!!! Thanks for giving the details :smile:

You're right! Those new bags look very much like vintage coach bags - and the older Coach bags are probably better made!

Around here you see a lot of logo bags, including signature Coach bags. And I've noticed that Vera Bradley bags are very popular with teenagers. That surprised me because those wild paisley patterns were popular when I was a young "flower child, hippie" many years ago! I have some VB accessories (glasses case, lunch bag, shoe bag, etc.) but I am not too crazy about the bright patterned quilted handbags.

I know! There are so many floral and patterned bags out too. I just hate cloth bags because in my experience they ruin your clothes when they rub unless they are a coated canvas. I only buy leather bags now. I learned my lesson with the fabric bags rubbing on my hip and making the area thin and pilling.

What a great job or I should say jobs that you have done with your rehab!!!
You have rehabbed some beautiful bags!!! Your family and friends are very lucky to get such wonderful presents.
Congrats to you on all your great bargains and the great jobs you have done!!!

Lynne :biggrin:

Great work as usual Katev!!!! All of those bags look brand spanking new after your TLC, and how nice to be able to give them with dustbags too!! If anyone you gave to doesn't appreciate their rehabbed bags, feel free to send them on over to me :biggrin: They all look so amazing!

katev, I would be so honored to receive one of your rehabs! With all the love, time, effort and thoughtfulness you put into each purse, who wouldn't? On top of that, the quality of all your finished products is amazing! You're really becoming a master craftswoman with your special hobby!

Hope you had the best Christmas and may all the pleasure you gave come back to you tenfold in the coming year!

WOW!! So glad to hear...you truly go that extra mile and even though you had a fear of giving away a "used bag" (i say loved!!!) the extra little things you do to make it complete go far beyond what money could spend on a new bag. Keep it up!

Honestly, this whole package just blows me away! First, I love the quality of your rehabs. The love and effort you put into "rescuing" these now lovely bags makes me warm & fuzzy. Then you gift them to loved ones, include a whole package of info so they can love the bag too, AND include an additional matching new gift. How could anyone not love this gift?

I. am. blown .away.

Thank you! But all of the info that I include with my rehabbed gifts comes from our wonderful authenticators - I couldn't do anything without their generous help!

Of course, I forgot about the washing machine - how could I?!?

Meanwhile, I can't believe that you didn't need to do any touchup on the corners of the soho, what an inspiration!!! Thanks for giving the details :smile:

My pleasure!

Yes, I have used the washer to clean bags in desperate situations! And the drawstring bag was tough. It's really hard to clean those "nooks and crannies" between the "leather bumps" on a light-colored pebbled bag! I am glad that it didn't harm the bag and that it turned out okay.

I thought about touching up the corners on the Soho but it is so hard to exactly match shades (and finish) of paint to bags. I usually just use permanent acryllic paints to touch up the edging on straps where it doesn't matter if it isn't an exact match, a shade darker actually looks good! So I decided to darken the corners as much as possible just using conditioners - and then leaving them a little faded - but natural.

I know! There are so many floral and patterned bags out too. I just hate cloth bags because in my experience they ruin your clothes when they rub unless they are a coated canvas. I only buy leather bags now. I learned my lesson with the fabric bags rubbing on my hip and making the area thin and pilling.

I didn't know that about cloth bags, thanks! The Vera Bradley products are well-made and relatively inexpensive, especially at the outlet. I have seen some nice looking solid black or solid brown VB quilted bags, but I still prefer leather bags, they are so rich-looking!

I bought several smaller gifts at the VB outlet this year. Insulated lunch coolers made of plastic coated fabric, and plastic-lined cloth "ditty bags" for carrying shoes to work in snowy weather. I don't mind patterns in some accessories but I wouldn't want to carry a brightly-colored patterned quilted cloth handbag, it's just not my style.