Pandora versus Trollbeads

Mar 27, 2009
So I have been looking at both websites for these beads, and I think I am leaning more towards Pandora...
But!
I would love everyone's opinion as to which ones they like better, and why.
Or if you love both, and why.
OR, if you don't like either of the aforementioned, and like a different brand entirely, and why.
Thanks!

I have both and I prefer Troll! At first I liked how Pandora screws on and it felt more secure, but then it just became annoying when I had to rearrange my bracelet. I only have a couple bracelets but lots of beads so I like to change it up. Troll also has a much better glass selection and glasswork. Their silver beads aren't as "cute" but I think they're much more detailed. Pandora silvers tend to be more straightforward to represent specific things (i.e. a car, soccer ball, dog, etc.) rather than some of the abstract designs Troll offers. So it also depends on your personality. Last difference is you can choose your lock for troll bracelets as they are sold separately (you may be able to find a jeweler offering a free bracelet with purchase of lock deal) so that's another way to be creative. Pandora does have the barrel clasp on many of their bracelets so if putting it on is a big problem for you that may be another reason to go with a Pandora.

Good luck, let us know what you choose! The Pandora thread here is populated with lovely and knowledgeable ladies!

I much prefer Trollbeads. They came out in 1976 and have a selection of beads rooted in mythology, symbolism, and elements. Their glass beads are stellar.
In fact, Pandora glass is designed by one of Trollbead's designers and Pandora must pay a "royalty" fee for the special silver core used on the glass to Trollbead for the next 25 years. We won't call it stealing, but let's just say the owners of Pandora used to be closely associated with Trollbeads.

Pandora is more widely known because of their blitz style of advertising and trying to locate themselves in spots like jewelry stores and malls. Usually you will find Trollbeads in smaller boutique style shops, although they have opened several concept stores and kiosks in the past year.

Personally, I feel that Pandora is more "safe" in their beads...soccer ball, hearts, etc. whereas Trollbeads has trolls, fairies, scary faces, dark colors, etc. To be sure, they have their share of lovely flowers and romantic themed beads, but they are done in such clever ways!

I think if you want ease of finding beads and are a bit more mainstream, you might find Pandora the better choice.
If you want truly unique beads and don't mind having to go on a treasure hunt for them, go with Trollbeads.

I'm sure it is obvious that I have strong feelings! LOL....

I was wanting and considering a silver charm bracelet for a few years. I looked at Pandora this past summer, as I was really liking the little acorn (silver/gold). I still was just not feeling the entire brand though. I then somehow found Trollbeads and instantly became mesmerized by the beautiful glass colored bars, nature themes, and folklore, and some of the silly themes.

One of the charm companies offers Disney-type charms which a friend of mine loves, so that is a plus there. A few companies (Brighton?) are very low-priced and offer the look of the Pandora bracelet.

I think it really depends on what you are looking for. I am so far a Trollbeads purist but still look at the beautiful Pandora creations on this forum and in the Pandora store-window.

Have fun exploring!

I have both Pandora and Trollbeads and much prefer Trollbeads! :P In fact, I wish I had not bought any Pandora (I found it first). It's difficult for me to switch around the beads on my Pandora bracelet because of all the threads. Also, my Pandora beads seem to need constant polishing (they look dull and scratched very quickly), whereas I only have to polish my Trollbeads once or twice a year with lots of wear. I love the selection of Troll glass and prefer their silver as well. Pandora is very cutesy. Troll is more sophisticated, IMHO. Pandora is everywhere. I like that I rarely see anyone else with a Troll bracelet. I am quite understated in my jewelry tastes and like classic, timeless designs, if that helps. :biggrin:

I have both and I prefer Troll! At first I liked how Pandora screws on and it felt more secure, but then it just became annoying when I had to rearrange my bracelet. I only have a couple bracelets but lots of beads so I like to change it up. Troll also has a much better glass selection and glasswork. Their silver beads aren't as "cute" but I think they're much more detailed. Pandora silvers tend to be more straightforward to represent specific things (i.e. a car, soccer ball, dog, etc.) rather than some of the abstract designs Troll offers. So it also depends on your personality. Last difference is you can choose your lock for troll bracelets as they are sold separately (you may be able to find a jeweler offering a free bracelet with purchase of lock deal) so that's another way to be creative. Pandora does have the barrel clasp on many of their bracelets so if putting it on is a big problem for you that may be another reason to go with a Pandora.

Good luck, let us know what you choose! The Pandora thread here is populated with lovely and knowledgeable ladies!

Thank you for your thoughts! I like the idea of mixing and matching... So it looks like it would be best to go with a Troll bracelet so that way I can have both beads...

I much prefer Trollbeads. They came out in 1976 and have a selection of beads rooted in mythology, symbolism, and elements. Their glass beads are stellar.
In fact, Pandora glass is designed by one of Trollbead's designers and Pandora must pay a "royalty" fee for the special silver core used on the glass to Trollbead for the next 25 years. We won't call it stealing, but let's just say the owners of Pandora used to be closely associated with Trollbeads.

Pandora is more widely known because of their blitz style of advertising and trying to locate themselves in spots like jewelry stores and malls. Usually you will find Trollbeads in smaller boutique style shops, although they have opened several concept stores and kiosks in the past year.

Personally, I feel that Pandora is more "safe" in their beads...soccer ball, hearts, etc. whereas Trollbeads has trolls, fairies, scary faces, dark colors, etc. To be sure, they have their share of lovely flowers and romantic themed beads, but they are done in such clever ways!

I think if you want ease of finding beads and are a bit more mainstream, you might find Pandora the better choice.
If you want truly unique beads and don't mind having to go on a treasure hunt for them, go with Trollbeads.

I'm sure it is obvious that I have strong feelings! LOL....

I really like how you described Trollbeads here! This is very helpful and I will look into Troll. How do I find out who sells Trollbeads near me?

I was wanting and considering a silver charm bracelet for a few years. I looked at Pandora this past summer, as I was really liking the little acorn (silver/gold). I still was just not feeling the entire brand though. I then somehow found Trollbeads and instantly became mesmerized by the beautiful glass colored bars, nature themes, and folklore, and some of the silly themes.

One of the charm companies offers Disney-type charms which a friend of mine loves, so that is a plus there. A few companies (Brighton?) are very low-priced and offer the look of the Pandora bracelet.

I think it really depends on what you are looking for. I am so far a Trollbeads purist but still look at the beautiful Pandora creations on this forum and in the Pandora store-window.

Have fun exploring!

Thak you so much!

I have both Pandora and Trollbeads and much prefer Trollbeads! :P In fact, I wish I had not bought any Pandora (I found it first). It's difficult for me to switch around the beads on my Pandora bracelet because of all the threads. Also, my Pandora beads seem to need constant polishing (they look dull and scratched very quickly), whereas I only have to polish my Trollbeads once or twice a year with lots of wear. I love the selection of Troll glass and prefer their silver as well. Pandora is very cutesy. Troll is more sophisticated, IMHO. Pandora is everywhere. I like that I rarely see anyone else with a Troll bracelet. I am quite understated in my jewelry tastes and like classic, timeless designs, if that helps. :biggrin:

I appreciate your opinion. I want something more unusual... Seems like Trollbeads wins so far!
Do they have an official website?

Trollbeadsuniverse.com will point you to retailers in your location! There is a trollbead thread here too for some inspiration!

So I have decided that I am going to buy a Trollbead bracelet because I can have both Trollbeads and Pandora. :smile:
There is a retailer that sells Trollbeads one town away. I am very excited! I can't wait to swing by and see if they have what I want.

The closure is one of the reasons I went with pandora. another one is, i didnt find a trollbead store where I live, and there is a pandora store, plus i was in love with so many of the pandora charms, and was going with their bracelets, hehe, easy choice for me. :P
but i wouldnt be against putting a trollbead or chamilia bead on my pandora bracelet that is travel themed (the one that is meaningful themed i want to be pandora only), if i like the bead and it has something to do with a place ive been, and pandora doesnt have a similar bead (like a train from another company, for example, pandora doesnt have a train bead as far as i know)

One bead I want is the Brandenburger Tor from Trollbeads for my travel bracelet, so when I go to Berlin I might look for a trollbeads store, or perhaps order it online:
http://www.troll-bead.de/Trollbeads-World--Deutschland-/?XTCsid=db2b54a377c70d64c3d24f69b410d664#15

anyone knows if a trollbead bead fits a pandora bracelet?

I was informed that there are a few Trollbeads with wider openings that do fit Pandora beads, but the majority of Trollbeads do not fit Pandora bracelets. However, if you get a Trollbead bracelet, then your Pandora beads will fit on that!