Sister wives

I thought polygamy is illegal...? So....how can they be making a "reality" TV show about it? Isn't that kind of like making a reality show about a meth lab and the drug addicts who run it? Kind of irresponsible, IMO.

I think the biggest objection to polygamy, as it is precticed by the hardcore fundalmentalist Mormons, is that the "wives" are often married off very young to considerably older men and they have no say in the matter, which seems like pedophilia disguised as religion to me.

TLC ran a series years ago about a guy in Texas that had several wives and they wanted to add another wife but there was too much drama from the existing wives so they booted her out. I can't remember what that series was???

It's not really polygamy because he is only married to one wife, he technically lives with the others out of wedlock. And he is not an old geezer with underage girls, they all seem to be about hsi age. So, technically nothing illegal is going on here, kinky maybe, but not illegal.

TLC ran a series years ago about a guy in Texas that had several wives and they wanted to add another wife but there was too much drama from the existing wives so they booted her out. I can't remember what that series was???
It was TLC? I thought it was A&E...I can't remember the name of the show. That guy was a complete douche in the way he treated his wives. The one he was trying to add had money and conveniently enough, no one had a problem with her until she had already gotten them out of debt.

At least this guys appears to really love his entire family. I am really interested in watching.

I think the biggest objection to polygamy, as it is precticed by the hardcore fundalmentalist Mormons, is that the "wives" are often married off very young to considerably older men and they have no say in the matter, which seems like pedophilia disguised as religion to me.
That I would have a huge problem with.

The people in Sister Wives are all consenting adults and they all seem happy, so while that's not how I roll, I don't judge.

I'll probably check this show out. I watch Big Love. This seems to be a real life version of Big Love.

Last edited:
I liked it, a lot.

the approach to telling the family story was totally different from what I expected. and it will interesting to see if everyone becomes more relaxed and camera-friendly as the episodes progress, right now everyone seems so nervous and not natural. but I liked that, because it seemed much more documentary than reality television.

ugh...the last thing I would want is another husband to take care of. But a couple more wives to pick up the slack when I need a snow day....hmmmmm :thinking:

j/k....:P
I love Big Love though!! :tup:

Lol!!!

I'm watching this show now too. Personally I'm cringing watching it, not for me.

... but it's something that happens in my culture/religion and I know when I was a baby my dad took another wife for a brief time, I don't remember the woman but was told that she took care of me for a bit.

The sad part is that I think she had a kid and my dad does not acknowledge the child. Sad, sad.

To each his own, but irresponsibility in any form is injustice and wrong.

I watched it whilst doing other things. . . it didn't grip me. I did get sad though thinking of how these children will be treated now that they're "out".

I cannot watch this show, just seeing the previews makes my skin crawl. There is something fundamentally repulsive to me about a man strutting around with all his (usually pregnant) wives, and the women deluding themselves into thinking this is how it should be. These women have huge self-esteem issues, and the arrogance of that jackhole they're sharing is simply immeasurable. This is not about religious or cultural issues, it's a display of serious psychological problems. And I agree with a previous poster - TLC is glorifying the demeaning of these women by airing this program.

^ Hmmm...do you really think these women have self esteem issues? Polygamy is still practiced in many cultures around the world, and while it's not my cup of tea, who am I to cast shade on someone else's culture? Now we ALL know about the FLDS groups that live on communes where the kids are raped and the boys thrown out at 13, and THAT of course is repulsive. However, to paint the entire polygamist community with that same brush seems a little unfair. Th at being said, I didn't particularly care for the way in which this show is being produced. I'd rather SEE the interaction in this family,rather than be TOLD how they feel and what they feel. Talk is cheap, in my book, so I am somewhat skeptical of how truthful this family is being about how "normal" their lives really are. Also, methinks DRAMA will errupt when Papa brings home the new wife. She's younger, prettier, and thinner than the rest of the wives so this WILL NOT go over well. If Papa had been thinking with the right brain he would have seen this coming MILES away.

It was TLC? I thought it was A&E...I can't remember the name of the show. That guy was a complete douche in the way he treated his wives. The one he was trying to add had money and conveniently enough, no one had a problem with her until she had already gotten them out of debt.

At least this guys appears to really love his entire family. I am really interested in watching.

Maybe it was A&E? That showed how the wives really felt about the new wives coming and alll their jealousy. I thought it painted a far better view of having multiple wives..

^ hmmm...do you really think these women have self esteem issues? Polygamy is still practiced in many cultures around the world, and while it's not my cup of tea, who am i to cast shade on someone else's culture? Now we all know about the flds groups that live on communes where the kids are raped and the boys thrown out at 13, and that of course is repulsive. However, to paint the entire polygamist community with that same brush seems a little unfair. Th at being said, i didn't particularly care for the way in which this show is being produced. I'd rather see the interaction in this family,rather than be told how they feel and what they feel. Talk is cheap, in my book, so i am somewhat skeptical of how truthful this family is being about how "normal" their lives really are. Also, methinks drama will errupt when papa brings home the new wife. She's younger, prettier, and thinner than the rest of the wives so this will not go over well. If papa had been thinking with the right brain he would have seen this coming miles away.

ita!