My new bag stinks :(

Hi Deb :smile:
Nothing happened, I still have the bag, it is smelling stronger than ever because I stored it away, if I leave it out the smell overpowers my room. I'm pretty much stuck with it, I'd never resell without advising of a smell like this, and to do so would mean a huge loss... I'm just trying Nilodour oil at the moment, worth a try, will lock it away for another few days and see if I have any luck.

I'm so sorry you still have to deal with this. This is terrible....

The odor keeps coming back? Do you suspect it might be mold? If so, it's really bad for your health and if you let mold grow, it eventually ruin your bag. Can you consider to take it to a professional cleaner? Or you might want to rent Ozone Generator. I've heard it could kill Mold and Mildew.

I would go through your credit card company direct.. or call paypal. I had a dispute closed once and I called paypal and they re-opened it after hearing my side of the story. Sometimes an email goes to death ears and they don't get exactly what you are trying to say about the item bought.

Place bag in 10 gallon bucket with lid, lay cat litter on bottom and cover litter with paper. 24 hours later take off lid, throw in a box of baking soda, place lid back on top and 24 hours later take off. No smell

Just to update, I used nilodour that softened the smell, and had the bag professionally cleaned at LV, and it's perfect now. My SA said it just smelt like an old closet, but by the time he got it, after using nilodour, it was 90% gone anyway. It came back perfect, so I was very lucky it wasn't mold considering paypal did nothing to stand by me with the transaction.

I'm glad everything worked out for you. I had a vintage bag that stunk of heavy mildew/perfume smell. It took me a year to get rid of most of the smell. I tried Damp Rid, dryer sheets, sunshine, fresh air, coffee beans, coffee grounds, kitty litter, sachets, perfume spritzes, Febreeze, air fresheners placed inside, perfumed cardboard inserts....finally, I ended up scrubbing the inside with an entire container of baby wipes which got rid of most of the smell but finally sold the bag because I was so sick of dealing with it.........
I'm so glad for your Mahina!!

Most definatley do the direct sunlight. It kills mold, mildew and bacteria. You could try to put it in the dryer on a low delicate setting in its dust cover with dryer sheets or wrap it up in a towel. Just make sure the setting is warm enough to activate the dryer sheets but not hot enough to scortch anything.

For those that need to get rid of foul odors -- especially Mildew odors or fungus odors.. try Timsen - it's available at veterinary supply stores, or at animal feed stores. It's a powder that you mix with water and spray on -- it's also great for "spilled soured milk" smells.

Just to update, I used nilodour that softened the smell, and had the bag professionally cleaned at LV, and it's perfect now. My SA said it just smelt like an old closet, but by the time he got it, after using nilodour, it was 90% gone anyway. It came back perfect, so I was very lucky it wasn't mold considering paypal did nothing to stand by me with the transaction.
How much were you charged for the cleaning service at LV?

I got a Moschino bag off ebay that absolutely stank of stale smoke. It was unbearable. It stank my bedroom out. I put coffee granules in an envelope and left it in the bag. I had to change the granules a few times over a couple of weeks, but it completely got rid of the smell.

Your thread has been revived, and I have 2 quick questions. Did you ever try the cedar idea? And what form of Nilodor (couldn't find nilodour) did you use? I have a perfumy bag I got from Bonanza, and the baking powder has lessended the smell, but whenever I take it out of the closet to use again, the smell is back. I saw the Nilodor site, and they have gels, sprays and everything in between. Wondered which you used. TIA.

And so glad you resolved your purse issue. Hope you left the seller a negative.