My new bag stinks :(

If you choose to open a dispute, you should do so through eBay, rather than Paypal. The eBay dispute resolution system seems a little better for buyers lately than Paypal in cases of SNAD.

I think you should open an eBay dispute immediately (do not mention any treatments you have done to the bag - just mention the overwhelming odor), since the seller is not willing to cooperate with you.

Did you fund your Paypal payment with a credit card? If so, even if eBay decides against you in a dispute, you still have a second round of defense.

why, what's the problem with paypal lately? I didn't know you could open a dispute with ebay and/or paypal, last time I had to open a dispute it was a link via ebay that led to paypals site?

Dear Ladies,
I myself am quite a fussy buyer and HATE when sellers lie. This seller deserves a dispute and getting a full refund from. BUT!
The bottom line is that if it is a rare bag, and bought for a good price,
if you refund, you will have no bag. My experience with ebay sellers is that AT LEAST HALF of them lie about their designer bags, mostly lying about "non-crucial" things such as when they bought, the history of the bag etc,. they call hardly worn bags new... bla-bla-bla. I am sick and tired of their lies, and I understand posters who tell to refund.
However, for a well wanted bag, you have to remember the bottom line- if you successfully remove the smell, you will have a lovely bag. The advice about vodka is great, the advice about coffee beans is fantastic! It is likely to work. Re. soap - soap molecules would kill spores as well, wood chippings would kill the mould as well. Ozone you can get by using an ultra-violet device for tanning, just take the bag to the saloon with you once and open the inside.
Ask the seller for a $100 partial refund. If tghey agree, give positive. If not - give your negative and ENJOY the bag after treating it. :smile::graucho:;)

Dear Ladies,
I myself am quite a fussy buyer and HATE when sellers lie. This seller deserves a dispute and getting a full refund from. BUT!
The bottom line is that if it is a rare bag, and bought for a good price,
if you refund, you will have no bag. My experience with ebay sellers is that AT LEAST HALF of them lie about their designer bags, mostly lying about "non-crucial" things such as when they bought, the history of the bag etc,. they call hardly worn bags new... bla-bla-bla. I am sick and tired of their lies, and I understand posters who tell to refund.
However, for a well wanted bag, you have to remember the bottom line- if you successfully remove the smell, you will have a lovely bag. The advice about vodka is great, the advice about coffee beans is fantastic! It is likely to work. Re. soap - soap molecules would kill spores as well, wood chippings would kill the mould as well. Ozone you can get by using an ultra-violet device for tanning, just take the bag to the saloon with you once and open the inside.
Ask the seller for a $100 partial refund. If tghey agree, give positive. If not - give your negative and ENJOY the bag after treating it. :smile::graucho:;)

Great advice!

why, what's the problem with paypal lately? I didn't know you could open a dispute with ebay and/or paypal, last time I had to open a dispute it was a link via ebay that led to paypals site?

With eBay US, you can open a dispute with eBay OR Paypal, but not BOTH. I don't know why, but just from looking at these tPF threads lately, it seems Paypal is rejecting reasonable SNAD claims for some reason... while eBay seems more sympathetic.

eBay's dispute system is a new and totally separate thing from Paypal;s resolution system. I had to open an ebay dispute recently myself and it was totally separate from Paypal, and a very simple process. But like I said, you can't open a Paypal and an eBay dispute at the same time - it's one or the other. Maybe it's different with eBay.au, I'm not sure. Which one did you purchase the bag from?

I think that since the seller is unwilling to work with you, you should consider returning the bag. Did you at least back the Paypal payment up with a credit card, in case ((for some reason) you lose the dispute? That way, you are covered by your credit card chargeback process.

Good luch with whatever you decide!

So sorry to hear about your situation - I had a similar one recently, but was lucky to get my money back from the ebay seller as there were yellow dust coming out inside of the lining of a Chanel mini pouch. I originally asked for $100 USD to have it professionally cleaned as I had called around to find out how much it would cost me. But she refused to give me the $100 refund, only $20 so what I did was I pressed the buttom of where it says contact seller, return item not as described, then I managed to get my full refund. You may want to try that as well, at least it will show on their record.

I agree with the comment that you should take it to a professional bag cleaner - at least you have a professional opinion when you file for a dispute if the seller is uncooperative....best of luck.

BTW - I used to live in HK, HK is the worst country re: smells on clothes & bags - I have bags from my chest draws despite it was kept in dust bags, and till this day, I am still trying to get rid of the smell :0 (

A little off topic, but not too far. I've had a similar situation with my own VL Alma here in Atlanta. I must have gotten moisture on the interior lining, didn't notice it and then zipped it up and stored it for several months in the dust bag in my closet.

When I went to use it, the mildew smell was overwhelming. I aired it outside in fresh air and sunshine (it's out there taking another "sun bath" today), tried the baking powder box trick and sprayed it with Febreeze. Nothing has eliminated the smell, and I'm about ready to just throw it away. (I did use it one day and put my Hermes wallet in it, and the Hermes wallet ended up smelling like mildew too - it's that strong an odor.)

I guess, unlike leather, that monogram canvas doesn't breath, so a slightly damp interior lining will just stay damp . . . and grow mold. Ugh!

Unbelievable ~ Paypal dispute was opened, I described what the bag smells like, and mentioned the purchase within a month and how they resold and how i would like to send it back for a refund.

Within a day paypal has decided in the sellers favour???! I can't believe this, so they have just gotten away with it and I can't send it back??

I can only dispute with paypal in Australia. Can I take it further? I will call my bank but only have a debit visa so I have no idea if it has the same protection as a credit visa.

Unbelievable ~ Paypal dispute was opened, I described what the bag smells like, and mentioned the purchase within a month and how they resold and how i would like to send it back for a refund.

Within a day paypal has decided in the sellers favour???! I can't believe this, so they have just gotten away with it and I can't send it back??

I can only dispute with paypal in Australia. Can I take it further? I will call my bank but only have a debit visa so I have no idea if it has the same protection as a credit visa.

OMG! I am so sorry! This sucks! I guess because smell is objective they wont rule in your favor? You can try to dispute it with your bank, but any time I used my bank card they told me I was SOL. Hope you have better luck.

I am sorry this is happening but in reality you have altered the bags condition by spraying it with perfume and febreeze...I have someone who works for me that is deathly allergic to both those things so if she recieved something back that had those things sprayed on it she would be unable to breathe almost immediately...probably not the case with your seller but the fact remains that it is now not the same bag she sent...hopefully you will find something to remove the smells...

The bag wasn't sprayed with perfume, it's leather it would ruin it, the lining was sprayed lightly twice with febreeze, and in reality it is so unbelievably potent that there is not a chance of altering the bags smell if I tried. The seller knew of this when they sent it, so as far as I'm concerned they are responsible for this situation and should be accepting the bag back for a refund.

Hey paije, I was wondering what happened with the situation with your bag. I feel terrible about it for you. You spend so much money on a purchase and it should be stated it's exact flaws when buying it. I'm looking at a Mahina xs in white through anns fabulous finds and she states that the bag has a small stain on the back but doesn't show it clearly in the picture they have listed. So I asked her to send me clearer pics of it so I can judge for myself if it's worth the price she's asking for it. Thanks for this thread for it helps others in really looking closely to everything that a used bag has.

Well this sucks. Here you paid top dollar for a bag, it has a bad odor, and you loose.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again....if someone pays through PP and does not use the credit part of their card.....PP/ebay knows you'll have no other way to recover your funds (can't do a charge back), so they rule in the sellers favor, so they all make money. A charge back costs ebay/pp money, so if you paid that way, they would have found in your favor.....of course hindsight is 20/20.

I hate that mildew smell, I've smelled it and it's just awful. The girls who suggested the wood chips and the coffee beans.....give this a try. I have never heard of this but would be willing to do it.

Oh, and give your asshat of a seller a negative. What a jerk he is.

Hey paije, I was wondering what happened with the situation with your bag. I feel terrible about it for you. You spend so much money on a purchase and it should be stated it's exact flaws when buying it. I'm looking at a Mahina xs in white through anns fabulous finds and she states that the bag has a small stain on the back but doesn't show it clearly in the picture they have listed. So I asked her to send me clearer pics of it so I can judge for myself if it's worth the price she's asking for it. Thanks for this thread for it helps others in really looking closely to everything that a used bag has.

Hi Deb :smile:
Nothing happened, I still have the bag, it is smelling stronger than ever because I stored it away, if I leave it out the smell overpowers my room. I'm pretty much stuck with it, I'd never resell without advising of a smell like this, and to do so would mean a huge loss... I'm just trying Nilodour oil at the moment, worth a try, will lock it away for another few days and see if I have any luck.

Well this sucks. Here you paid top dollar for a bag, it has a bad odor, and you loose.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again....if someone pays through PP and does not use the credit part of their card.....PP/ebay knows you'll have no other way to recover your funds (can't do a charge back), so they rule in the sellers favor, so they all make money. A charge back costs ebay/pp money, so if you paid that way, they would have found in your favor.....of course hindsight is 20/20.

I hate that mildew smell, I've smelled it and it's just awful. The girls who suggested the wood chips and the coffee beans.....give this a try. I have never heard of this but would be willing to do it.

Oh, and give your asshat of a seller a negative. What a jerk he is.

for sure the "seller" deserves a NEGATIVE.. can you try calling again and speak with a supervisor.. there have been times where a decision has been reversed.. how about contacting your bank again & explaining.. and
yes, try the coffee beans, febreeze dryer sheeets.. maybe it will help...