Anyone from GERMANY?

Hi Newbie here! American living in Munich (in FFM for business at the moment). Avid LV collector and just purchased the Roses speedy. Am very very excited about it. I was finally able to put my german lessons to good use...they wouldn't sell the Sprouse collection to tourists in Frankfurt! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hi again, everyone! I've just had the day from hell and thought this would be the best place to vent about it. I'm in Berlin at the FU on a Fulbright. I'm an American, finished my doctorate in the States, and am at the Habilitation stage right now, and I'm assigned with an adviser during my time here. I love luxury items like handbags and shoes, as everyone else here does too or you wouldn't be on this forum. I think I dress conservatively but as well as I possibly can, especially when I'm at the university. Well, Monday of this week a note popped up in front of me during one of the seminars from a woman who said she urgently needed to talk to me. We exchanged phone numbers and today she called. She said that "everyone" (I have no idea who "everyone" is supposed to be. I still hardly know anyone here.) was saying that I was having a relationship with my male adviser. When I asked her why on earth anyone would think such a thing, she said that it was because I always came dressed so elegantly and that people thought it was to try to entice this man. I was dumbfounded!

I thought it was funny that she also told me that I must be from "upper-class" just like she is and that she understands, but that I need to start wearing different clothes when I am at the university. **Actually, I'm about as redneck, backwoods hick as it gets. I'm from Oklahoma/Texas originally, hardly "upper-class."** I told my husband about it today on the phone (My husband is from Sweden by the way.) and he had a good laugh about it all.

During the course of this phone conversation, this woman also gladly told me that she was a countess and then went on for several minutes talking about her family and pedigree, like I could give a &%#! (For an American, that matters about as much as teats on a boar hog. We're all mutts.)

Anyway, my question to you guys is, WHAT THE F&^$&%#!!!??? How DARE these people think something like this about someone they don't even know. I was so upset today, I cried.

Any ideas on how to recitfy this bullsh%t? I've never had this problem before. According to this woman today on the phone, she actually said that someone called me a "b*tch!" Does wearing designer clothing/handbags/shoes warrant this? I have never spoken to these people she mentioned, so I don't understand this at all. This is completely crazy to me.

Thanks for listening!

Unhappy in Berlin

Oh my dear!

I'm so sorry to hear this! Too bad I don't live in Berlin. I'd visit you right away! Honestly I can't give you any advice and I've never ever heard a story like yours. I know this won't help but I know that ppl esp students in Berlin dress a little "sloppy". I don't mean to offend anyone living in Berlin but a good friend of mine used to live in Berlin. Shortly after her move to Berlin she told me she had to get new cloths since ppl at university told her she dressed to well. (As there can be such an thing...) But I would strongly advice not to listen to this woman. Who knows if she was telling the truth or what she's up. Btw I used to go to school with a lot of princesses and the ones that still had their castles were totally down to earth but let's not talk about the ones when all there was left was their name... It's only a name after all you didn't do anything to earn it.
My best friend is a "von" too and she's totally down to earth.
Feel free to send me a message if you want to lighten up your heart!
Hugs!

Hi Newbie here! American living in Munich (in FFM for business at the moment). Avid LV collector and just purchased the Roses speedy. Am very very excited about it. I was finally able to put my german lessons to good use...they wouldn't sell the Sprouse collection to tourists in Frankfurt! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hi,

I'm also living in Munich. LOVE the city so much!

A good friend of mine lives in Luxemburg too. Far away from Munich :crybaby:

oh.. I am also missing my friends... they are all scattered around the world....i was living for some months in Munchen. though it was a long time ago...if i remember coorectly the suburb village name was Neurid....it was avery romantic time;)

Oh my dear!

I'm so sorry to hear this! Too bad I don't live in Berlin. I'd visit you right away! Honestly I can't give you any advice and I've never ever heard a story like yours. I know this won't help but I know that ppl esp students in Berlin dress a little "sloppy". I don't mean to offend anyone living in Berlin but a good friend of mine used to live in Berlin. Shortly after her move to Berlin she told me she had to get new cloths since ppl at university told her she dressed to well. (As there can be such an thing...) But I would strongly advice not to listen to this woman. Who knows if she was telling the truth or what she's up. Btw I used to go to school with a lot of princesses and the ones that still had their castles were totally down to earth but let's not talk about the ones when all there was left was their name... It's only a name after all you didn't do anything to earn it.
My best friend is a "von" too and she's totally down to earth.
Feel free to send me a message if you want to lighten up your heart!
Hugs!

Thanks, Micoco! Well, part II of the saga....

I think this woman was going overboard and you are correct in assuming that I shouldn't believe everything she is saying. I met with her over coffee and we talked at length. It seems that SHE likes this professor and I'm starting to wonder what the nature of their relationship is/was. She admitted that she was jealous (which is crazy to me) and that since I showed up the first day several months ago that this man has been ignoring her, even being a little bit rude. I felt sorry for her (actually), but assured her that I wasn't interested in this man and that I had to have some contact with him while I was over here because he is my Habilitation's adviser. I think she finally believed me. Plus, I'm married and have no intention of leaving my young husband for some (married) 55 year-old who seems to have relations with his students--according to this woman. Ah, Berlin..... city of decadence!

Oh, and I also told her that I wasn't changing my clothes, which are very conservative by the way. I mentioned to her that that was a violation of my rights as a human being. If I went to the department wearing a skirt up to my hoho, stiletto heels, no underpants, and my tatas on permanent display, then maybe, just maybe, could I understand someone coming to talk to me about my clothing, but my mother and husband are always complaining that I dress like an old lady. (They have said that for years!)

I think this woman is trying to convince me to go to the seminar looking as bad as I possibly can so that this man will lose all interest in me. (She claims that he is always talking about me. If she wasn't in some sort of relationship with him, how on earth would she know that?) The whole thing is weird and I'm staying out of it, but NO WAY am I buying a new wardrobe to appease this woman. :nogood:

This woman definitely has some big problems! I also lived in Berlin for a couple of years and studied law at the FU - there were very well-dressed women (one with a diamond studded Rolex), average dressed women and ill-dressed women, just like everywhere else. So go on wearing what you like - that's what I did!
Regina :smile:

Hi there,

I'm from Germany/Stuttgart though I'm right now studying in Cracow ( no LV in Poland:sad: ), so my LV store is still the small and cosy one in Stuttgart. Anyone else here from that area?

:heart:monika

Hi Ivyleager,

just read your story, do not listen to that stupid b***h, wear what you want and ignore her. I've been often to berlin and know ppl from there and it's true they have a kind of different way of dressing there, though it's sometimes underestimated and what looks like an old jumper is an expensive avantgarde cashmere dream;) So just go on with yous style and live happy in your clothes and with your bags. . .

:heart:monika