Your New Dooney: A mini reveal thread!

I know...was a huge risk. One I don't know if I will take again LOL...am concerned about color transfer with the blue dust bag...does anyone know if it will be safe in the dooney dustbag?

I know...was a huge risk. One I don't know if I will take again LOL...am concerned about color transfer with the blue dust bag...does anyone know if it will be safe in the dooney dustbag?
:lol: I know exactly what you mean!
I can't answer the dust bag question. I'm using two blue Dooney dust bags right now. One is being used as a laundry bag and the other is holding all my other blue dust bags. I've never actually used them to store my bags. I may use one to get my red suede satchel home, but I haven't decided yet. I know someone will have your answer! :smile:

Reactions: mushroomNgrass
I placed my off white Dooney in a white dust bag (I thinks it’s a coach or MK) I do store my other Dooneys in the blue bags, Ive not had any transfer. The bags are on a shelf in a spare bedroom with not much sun.

Reactions: RuedeNesle
RE: dust bags and color transfer... there have been random reports.... patent leather bags or coated cotton
or light colored leather. Don't know about the conditions under which the bags were stored.... humidity and heat levels, were other items pressed up against bags, were bags in plastic containers?????

So, my take.... for what I pay for my handbags, I'm not taking any chances. Light colored handbags go in light colored dust bags or pillow cases/pillow protectors. Dark colored handbags go in blue Dooney dust bags.

If you sew, you can make your own dust bags. Or they are available on amazon, etc.
I just buy white pillow protectors (at least 50% cotton, so they breathe) or use old pillow
cases. Every pillow case/pillow protector gets washed first to be sure there is not chemical in the fabric left over from the manufacturing process or they are fresh smelling after sitting in the back of the
linen closet for years.

Another thing.... before you put away a handbag you have used, check it for color transfer and
dirt/soil. The longer anything sits on the bag, the more it gets absorbed into the fabric/leather,
and the less likely you will be able to remove it. I've had handbags pick up color transfer from
clothing after one wearing.

My bag arrived while I was in the shower! I wanted to post a few pictures before I run errands. Overall packaged well. The bag was stuffed with lots of paper which is why the zipper looks like it does. I took a picture of the bag empty and zipped (last picture). My phone fits in the front outside zipper pocket with room for my coin pouch that holds my Clipper Card. The strap has two buckles but you can't make it a shoulder bag by removing one of the straps. It's not that kind of strap. Definitely a keeper!
Just wanted to make a correction. I don't know how I was looking at it but the strap does detach to allow you to wear it as a shoulder bag. :rolleyes:

She was delivered yesterday afternoon! I inspected her, wiped her down, and let her sit overnight. She's in very good condition, inside and out. Two reasons I love getting older pre-loved Dooney bags: 1. The leather key leash. 2. The snap pocket.

The bag feels a little heavier than the blue 1975 Sig satchel. But just a little. I'm going to carry it today on my walk to Target and Safeway. That should be about 3.5 miles round-trip. I'll know for sure when I return if it's going to work. I'm really hoping it does because (it's RED!!), it holds everything easily with room to spare. My water bottle sits upright. It sits upright in the blue bag but you have to push it down when you're zipping the bag because the top gets in the way. It's very slouchy empty when zipped, but sits up when I opened it to take the picture of the empty inside. It also sits up with my contents in the bag. And it's wider at the bottom than the blue bag. NOTE: The two dark dots on the inside of the empty bag picture are pieces of glitter that came off something. I didn't see them until I was loading the bag and I didn't notice them in the picture until I uploaded it to this thread, which took too long to do over.

What I'm really hoping is I don't feel the weight of the bag like I do when I carry my leather bags. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of carrying a coated canvas bag. I'll post in the "Which Dooney/Carrying...." thread when I return. And it is the smaller size, not the size of the large Vanessa satchel. :smile:
20210903_044437.jpg20210903_043643.jpg20210903_044303.jpg20210903_043443.jpg

She was delivered yesterday afternoon! I inspected her, wiped her down, and let her sit overnight. She's in very good condition, inside and out. Two reasons I love getting older pre-loved Dooney bags: 1. The leather key leash. 2. The snap pocket.

The bag feels a little heavier than the blue 1975 Sig satchel. But just a little. I'm going to carry it today on my walk to Target and Safeway. That should be about 3.5 miles round-trip. I'll know for sure when I return if it's going to work. I'm really hoping it does because (it's RED!!), it holds everything easily with room to spare. My water bottle sits upright. It sits upright in the blue bag but you have to push it down when you're zipping the bag because the top gets in the way. It's very slouchy empty when zipped, but sits up when I opened it to take the picture of the empty inside. It also sits up with my contents in the bag. And it's wider at the bottom than the blue bag. NOTE: The two dark dots on the inside of the empty bag picture are pieces of glitter that came off something. I didn't see them until I was loading the bag and I didn't notice them in the picture until I uploaded it to this thread, which took too long to do over.

What I'm really hoping is I don't feel the weight of the bag like I do when I carry my leather bags. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of carrying a coated canvas bag. I'll post in the "Which Dooney/Carrying...." thread when I return. And it is the smaller size, not the size of the large Vanessa satchel. :smile:
View attachment 5182739View attachment 5182741View attachment 5182742View attachment 5182743
RN: hope your new Red Dooney works out today. I love the larger base of the bag and the
leather trim and corners too. And yes, they all add weight.... hopefully it's not too much
and since it's distributed it won't be a problem for you to carry.

Remember.... a pound of bricks and a pound of feathers both weigh a pound.
But the weight of the brick is concentrated in a small space and
the feathers are spread out, so they don't feel as heavy.
That's why sometimes a smaller bag feels heavier
to me than a larger bag with the same contents and similar bag
weight. And sometimes using an organizer makes a bag heavier
by concentrating the contents in a smaller space. Because clearly,
that thin felt organizer weighs a lot less than all those leather
pouches I'm carrying.

Reactions: mushroomNgrass
RN: hope your new Red Dooney works out today. I love the larger base of the bag and the
leather trim and corners too. And yes, they all add weight.... hopefully it's not too much
and since it's distributed it won't be a problem for you to carry.

Remember.... a pound of bricks and a pound of feathers both weigh a pound.
But the weight of the brick is concentrated in a small space and
the feathers are spread out, so they don't feel as heavy.
That's why sometimes a smaller bag feels heavier
to me than a larger bag with the same contents and similar bag
weight. And sometimes using an organizer makes a bag heavier
by concentrating the contents in a smaller space. Because clearly,
that thin felt organizer weighs a lot less than all those leather
pouches I'm carrying.
Hi LJ! :hugs:
It's working out! :ghi5: I walked for over two hours this morning. I was looking for something for my sister's trip and I wasn't having any luck finding it, so I did a lot more walking than I (wanted) expected. But the bag was perfect. If it's heavier than the the blue bag I can't tell. It's the pound of feathers. :smile: I can adjust the CBB strap to make the bag sit on the right spot on my side. I was able to get in it easily. I really enjoyed carrying it! I'm looking forward to carrying it tomorrow to a hardware store for light bulbs.

• Love
Reactions: Sunshine mama