Your Most Regretful Bag Purchase

It was definitely a costly handbag mistake. The cost per wear was pretty high. I initially bought it thinking it was great to have a backpack, so that I can be hands free to hold my kid. My husband told me not to sell it, but I saw it sitting there collecting dust :sad:. I sold it and he didn't even realize (or at least he hasn't commented on it - "oh, where is your backpack?")!
I felt the same way when I sold my Balenciaga. I felt it would be just there collecting dust and especially when the bag has been discontinued and the giant hardware was too much for my current style. After I sold it, I didn't miss it at all, but I still regret buying the bag everytime I think about it!

I felt the same way when I sold my Balenciaga. I felt it would be just there collecting dust and especially when the bag has been discontinued and the giant hardware was too much for my current style. After I sold it, I didn't miss it at all, but I still regret buying the bag everytime I think about it!

Yes, same here. It is $1500 that could have been put towards something else. I am a lot of careful with my handbag purchases now.

My first premier designer purchase - the Chanel Just Mademoiselle tote - the one that was super heavily advertised with Blake Lively as the face of the campaigns. I bought it pretty soon after I started working full time. I thought I would love it because it's a tote (I loved totes at the time, had many Longchamp bags I used to death), but the major issue was that it was in lambskin, so I was terrified of using it. I owned it for around 8 years (I finally sold it last winter) and I think I only used it for a handful of times. I ended up selling to a friend of my husband who wanted to buy his mom a Chanel bag for Christmas. I lost a ton of money on it just because that bag is no longer in, very clearly dated, too big (people love small bags now), and lambskin. Before I sold to this friend, I also tried selling on the many FB Chanel groups but no one was interested. His mom wanted a large tote bag and I gave him an extra big discount on top of my advertised price so it worked out for all parties involved.

So after that, I no longer buy 1) lambskin, 2) seasonal Chanel bags, regardless of how popular they are. Chanel seasonal bags do NOT hold their value, especially if they were the IT bag of the season. I broke my no lambskin rule last year when I bought a medium Diana in lambskin, but it was vintage so the lambskin should be more durable, and I am also less paranoid about the bag since it already has some wear and tear on it.

This is low-rent compared to the other regrets in this thread, but my biggest regret was a $50 DKNY black pleather bag I bought at Macy's. It had large braided handles that went squeak...squeak...squeak whenever I carried it. Drove me nuts. Like fingernails on a blackboard. And I'm sure I could be heard coming from a block away since I have limited hearing and if I could hear all that squeaking... :hrmm: Quickly donated it to St. Vinny's after carrying it only a few times. I felt terrible about having wasted money in this fashion but I had to get rid of it. I couldn't bear to listen to anymore squeaking. Squeak...squeak...squeak... <shudder> Since then I have a rule that I buy nothing with pleather that makes sounds.

A gorgeous vintage black leather and leopard clad hair satchel. When it arrived, I loved it. It was in amazing condition and had amazing style, but was much bigger than I expected. I never asked the seller for the size...it was 18” wide. Wore my new to me bag the next day to the grocery store and promptly turned around to answer my husband and took out a corner display. That was the only time I ended up wearing it. It sat in my closet for about a year until I sold it.

Regretted buying to build a "collection" in different colours from the same brand. This one is a painful costly lesson.
I mostly wore the Same Bag in that certain colour/size and the extras seemed like a 'backup' that I never used, plus I get bored of my bags very quickly if they don't work for me. For instance I use the same Chanel Boy bag even though I had two other ones, used the same red Celine box rather than the black one, also my huge 'balenciaga collection' which now I only have 3 left.
So for me lesson learned is never buy bags in the different size or even colours in the same combo from the same designer even though I know it works for me.

Damier Azur Speedy Bandouliere - It yellowed terribly after a year of use and the handles keep fraying. I live in Florida and it’s quite humid here, so I’m sure that doesn’t help much. That being said, I have older LV that looks far better than this bag does. The new canvas isn’t the same quality the old canvas is.

Large Lady Dior tote (the seasonal one from a couple of years ago with brushed gold rectangular HW, flap, wide strap). Bought it at Saks after I regretted not snapping up the last one at Bloomingdale's Dior boutique. I thought it was just the floor model (it was missing the booklet) but I realized later, after I got over the cold I had at the time, that it was a return and that the inside reeked of perfume.

Great bag, wish I had followed my instincts at Bloomingdales.

• Wow
Reactions: PineappleMinnie
Damier Azur Speedy Bandouliere - It yellowed terribly after a year of use and the handles keep fraying. I live in Florida and it’s quite humid here, so I’m sure that doesn’t help much. That being said, I have older LV that looks far better than this bag does. The new canvas isn’t the same quality the old canvas is.

When did you buy your SpeedyB? I got mine quite a few years ago, and it’s still in very good condition. I do try to rotate through my bags, so I haven’t used my SpeedyB in quite a while. With working from home for the most part, there’s no need to carry a purse. Like carry it from my bed to my vanity desk :lol:?