Your first Hermes item

My first Hermes purchase was a “Tourbillons” scarf around 1988. Years before, I had seen an Hermes print ad in a magazine showcasing this scarf and I thought it was so beautiful that I tore out the ad. Fast forward to the late 1980s, I got my first big job after getting my MBA. I worked on a trading desk in NYC. Many of the traders wore Hermes ties and the very few women on the trading desk wore Hermes scarves. This was the era of “Bonfire of the Vanities” and Gordon Gecko’s famous “Greed is good” line, so Wall Street’s obsession with Hermes made sense. As I was earning very good money, it was time to make the pilgrimage to Hermes on 57th Street. I lived a couple of blocks away and always walked past the store, but never had the desire to go in. In my mind, it was a store for old women in fur coats. One day, curiosity got the better of me and I mustered up the courage to enter. When I saw the exact scarf that I had seen in the print ad years earlier, I knew I was in dangerous territory. Then I learned the price: $175! That was an outrageous amount of money for a scarf, so I left it in the case. I do not spend money carelessly. After days or weeks of thought (I don’t remember which), I went back in and it was still there. I bought it. I remember feeling queasy as I paid for it. 🤢 Such a ridiculous amount of money! I have worn that scarf many times over the years. I still own and wear it and remember “the first time.”

My first H item was a cashmere/silk etole H that I received as a gift from my MIL and still use every winter as one of my main scarves in rotation.
My first H purchase was a carré 90 as a going away present for a colleague in our company colors.
My first H purchase for myself was a silver chain d'ancre ring that I wear almost daily (but on my right hand, to balance my engagement ring on the left).

Attachments

• 20240119_113229.jpg
    20240119_113229.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240119_113337.jpg
    20240119_113337.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 40
In-the-Loop 23, étoupe, GHW, purchased in early December, just in time for my 25th birthday.
I achieved some incredible things in 2023. I wanted to commemorate this with a designer item I would get a lot of use out of, and my bag wardrobe was missing a bucket-style, easy carry with more capacity. I love it and have gotten a ton of wear out of it in the past month. It's seen three countries already and been a great companion everywhere I've taken it. I plan to continue to carry it for a very long time.

This thing kept me from being my own worst enemy Junior year of college (circa 2006?7?). I had not gotten it through my thick skull by Sophomore year that if I didn't pay attention to my syllabus and keep an agenda, I couldn't remember ANYTHING, and I would continue to forget assignment after assignment. I was awful.

Predictably, an (especially at the time) expensive agenda and a Mont Blanc pen were enough to entice me into keeping very careful track of my assignments going forward because I loved pulling them out and using them. Whatever it takes, right? I mean, it's a trick that still works, so at least I'm consistent 😂 I did fine in college after that lol

Also, chevre is still the best leather accessory for me! I did retire the agenda, I love paper/pens/writing, but for my lifestyle, a phone calendar & virtual notepad is much easier to manage.

IMG_8470.jpg

My first independent H purchase was a classic Carre 90 for my Mom's silk collection, with my first paycheck. The experience was better than I expected; the SA was lovely and patient with a young and clueless customer. Usually it's my Dad who buys her scarves as gifts. Together, the SA and I decided on Kosmima, as my mother really loves jewellery, and wears Electic Blue + Gold very well. That scarf is somewhere around in my collection now and I am still a customer at that store.
My own first purchase is this little Nil tray which still sits on my bedside table and sometimes holds my earrings.

IMG_0479.jpeg

This thing kept me from being my own worst enemy Junior year of college (circa 2006?7?). I had not gotten it through my thick skull by Sophomore year that if I didn't pay attention to my syllabus and keep an agenda, I couldn't remember ANYTHING, and I would continue to forget assignment after assignment. I was awful.

Predictably, an (especially at the time) expensive agenda and a Mont Blanc pen were enough to entice me into keeping very careful track of my assignments going forward because I loved pulling them out and using them. Whatever it takes, right? I mean, it's a trick that still works, so at least I'm consistent 😂 I did fine in college after that lol

Also, chevre is still the best leather accessory for me! I did retire the agenda, I love paper/pens/writing, but for my lifestyle, a phone calendar & virtual notepad is much easier to manage.

View attachment 5933374
I'm using this exact same logic, and purchased a pm size journal a few months ago. However I'm still forgetting to use it, probably because I'm a leftie so I smear the ink and it looks terrible. And also because my pc is right there <_<; But it's so nice to touch! I just need to get less afraid to use it.

My first Hermes purchase was a Lindy 30 in etoupe a few years ago. I’m still as over the moon about it now as I was then. Love that bag and it’s my workhorse. Low key and easy to carry. I’ve since added a handful of other Hermes items. I’m taking my time with H. My plan this year is to truly enjoy what I already have before thinking about my next purchase.

Attachments

• IMG_1398.jpeg
    IMG_1398.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 38