Yachtmaster vs Submariner

Which watch should i get

• TT RG Yachtmaster Chocolate Dial 40

• Starbucks Subarminer

• Both

Results are only viewable after voting.

gainzilla

Aug 27, 2022
NEED your advice! I am planning on getting a Rolex (my first Rolex!) as a grad school graduation present. Do you think I'd age out of a Starbucks and should just go for the two toned Yachtmaster with the chocolate dial instead? Or is the Starbucks better as a one and only watch. Additionally, how common is it to alternate wearing models? I have a feeling we tend to gravitate towards our favorite. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 9.34.39 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 9.34.39 PM.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 9.34.45 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 9.34.45 PM.png
    183 KB · Views: 32
Those are very different watches in my opinion. Could you use green on a daily basis? But then again I might be a little biased since i just got that same Yacht Master in a 37MM 3 weeks ago. I absolutely love this watch but it is not my only Rolex. So in my opinion neither is a one and only watch.

Reactions: gainzilla
a one and only watch. Additionally, how common is it to alternate wearing models? I have a feeling we tend to gravitate towards our favorite.
People have various watches in their collections and rotate them, so the idea that one Rolex is one and done just doesn't bear out in real life. The "we tend to" of watch wearers is really far from being monolithic. You should see some enthusiasts' collections out there.

You should express your own taste in choosing, with attention to size (first of all), wardrobe, and lifestyle. I like traditional Rolex models personally and don't go too far out.

I also think if Starbucks is what you think of with this Sub coloration, that's not an association I personally would enjoy; it's worth considering this.

Last edited:
I have a Sub and love it. The YM is not my personal favorite aesthetically. Are you looking for a sport watch specifically? I only have one sport watch and the others are DJ since there are more options for configurations.

Not the two tone IMO
What don't you like about it?

Those are very different watches in my opinion. Could you use green on a daily basis? But then again I might be a little biased since i just got that same Yacht Master in a 37MM 3 weeks ago. I absolutely love this watch but it is not my only Rolex. So in my opinion neither is a one and only watch.
I use green on a daily basis (at least for bags and clothes). I've yet to add some green on my wrist. How is your yachtmaster wearing? How did your watch collection grow? I'm not much of a collector. I tend to top out at 5 items per type.

People have various watches in their collections and rotate them, so the idea that one Rolex is one and done just doesn't bear out in real life. The "we tend to" of watch wearers is really far from being monolithic. You should see some enthusiasts' collections out there.

You should express your own taste in choosing, with attention to size (first of all), wardrobe, and lifestyle. I like traditional Rolex models personally and don't go too far out.

I also think if Starbucks is what you think of with this Sub coloration, that's not an association I personally would enjoy; it's worth considering this.
I should have improved my wording to be "only Rolex for a long time before I get another one". I'm not much of a collector (probably 5 watches at most given my track record with other types of items). My lifestyle runs pretty casual. My wardrobe runs less casual. I think either should fit.

Would Kermit be a better name? I'm indifferent to the naming. They're both cute names to me!

I have both (though in different colors) - if your wrists are small, the YM is a much more comfortable daily watch.
Good to know, thanks! I have around 13.5 cm wrists and am used to wearing 36mm cases.

I have a Sub and love it. The YM is not my personal favorite aesthetically. Are you looking for a sport watch specifically? I only have one sport watch and the others are DJ since there are more options for configurations.
What didn't you like about the YM's aesthetic? Yes, I'm looking for a sport watch!

I personally am not a fan of the YM, but love the sub. But keep in mind, are you looking for a sport/casual model Rolex? It's not a watch that would necessarily work for dressing up, but we all wear jewelry/watches/clothing differently. So for some, that may or may not work, I think for me and since I have larger wrists, a sub would work as dressy or casual. I love sports watches. I have a SS TAG that's a dive watch and it's 41mm, and I absolutely love it. And I also have a smaller 36mm Rolex DJ with a jubilee bracelet so it's more dressy. Hopefully, this isn't all confusing.

• Thanks